CDBaby vs rvrbntn vs tunecore

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

arthurjames
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

CDBaby vs rvrbntn vs tunecore

Post by arthurjames » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:51 pm

Hey Y'all!I'm just getting some things set-up as far as online presence and am researching the pros and cons of some different sites etc. I'm wondering if anyone out there has some experience at any of these or other web resources they'd like to pass along. I'm familiar with the basics of what these 3 offer, so what I'm hoping the community here has is some actual pros/cons of dealing with them to pass along as I enter into to this uncharted terrirtory. Also any sneaky fine print or awesome service someone found that I may have missed.So far I've been the most intrigued and impressed by revrbntn. Their price for online dist. is low (and flat rate), they appear to have some good services for free or cheap, and I get a good vibe from them.Tunecore seems a bit more corporate to me and I tend to go with my gut on these things. Not sure I trust 'em CDBaby seems cool but they take a percentage even after the flat fee, and I don't really see that I get anything extra for that besides the ability for people to purchase physical CDs through them.Whoever I go with will be in addition to and in conjunction with a website that should be up within a month, so how these sites interact with that (as well as myspace and facebook) seems important. I'm liking rvrbntn in this dept. as well. The widgets and so forth look very useful.So....anyone out there use any or all of these sites and wanna talk about how it's workin' (or not) for you? Are there any other resources you use that work really well for specific applications?Thanks for your time.Arthur James

wings
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: CDBaby vs rvrbntn vs tunecore

Post by wings » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:11 am

CDBaby seems cool but they take a percentage even after the flat fee, and I don't really see that I get anything extra for that besides the ability for people to purchase physical CDs through them.I'd check your facts on this one. I don't believe they take a percentage - just a flat fee that varies between companies. I've been with CDBABY for about 5 years now...and their accounting is fairly straight forward considering all the electronic outlets that there are.HTHs~wings~

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:15 am

Use em all if you can. You can never have too much distribution...

wings
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by wings » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:13 am

Just got an email that CD BABY will now release your "solo" tracks!! You will no longer have to submit an entire album for distribution. Whoo hoo!!

steveha2865
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by steveha2865 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:36 pm

CD Baby is does not have exclusive arrangements with its clients. Set up an account with them and then join the others. I've been with CD Baby for three or four years and have been quite happy with them.
Jazz guy (writer/player).

suzdoyle
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by suzdoyle » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:02 pm

CD Baby ROCKS! They take a very small percentage of sales, PLUS give you tools for accepting credit cards for live sales, AND -- best of all -- they distribute your tracks to oodles of online digital marketplaces, including Amazon, iTunes (in numerous countries), Napster, Rhapsody and others. I love 'em!Suz

tower888
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by tower888 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:37 am

I can't compare CDBaby vs rvbntn vs tunecore, because I've only used CDBaby, but I can definitely recommend CDBaby. I've never encountered another company who seems to care as much about the musicians they service... Except maybe Taxi!

stephen
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by stephen » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:02 pm

Cd Baby is Great!!! I've never used the others but I had no problems with them at all. Great customer service.

derekmcfarland
Impressive
Impressive

Post by derekmcfarland » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:17 pm

I have used Tunecore for digital and CDBaby for physical sales with no complaints. I think the CDBaby web interface seems cheap and low-budget, but I think they are going through an overhaul.The only problem I had with Tunecore came early on when I could not get proper punctuation or capitalization for my name and song titles. The interface would not allow apostrophes in "I'll Show You Where" or "Must've Been Somethin' I Seen." Had a similar problem with the capitalization of my last name and it got published to iTunes incorrectly as "Mcfarland" instead of "McFarland."That was a couple years ago, so I don't know if things got better.Hope this helps.Derek

jude3
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jude3 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:39 am

CdBaby does rock!I have used them all and I will only use CD Baby from now on. For one main reason. PEOPLE GO TO CD BABY BUY MUSIC!They dont go to the others.Until your big, use CD BABY for sure!I sell one or two CD's a day from people searching CD Baby alone.I love them!and they have a phone number! And they answer!!!no one does that anymore.