CDs to hand out at RR

Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BobGunnerfeldt
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

CDs to hand out at RR

Post by BobGunnerfeldt » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:48 pm

This will be my first Road Rally. Presently, I have prepared a CD with 9 instrumental tracks. Is that too many, too few or just right?

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: CDs to hand out at RR

Post by cassmcentee » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:35 pm

I would say that's just about right! :D
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

arodgers

Post by arodgers » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:06 am

2017 will be my first rally. Any idea on how many CD's I should prepare? 20? 50?

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:36 am

arodgers wrote:2017 will be my first rally. Any idea on how many CD's I should prepare? 20? 50?
I would say it depends on what is contained on the CD
Is it an Artist Album that you are promoting and handing out to everyone or is it a selection of Cues/Songs for TV/Film?
50 if an Album
10 to 20 if Cues/Songs
just my opinion.... :D
Cass
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

BobGunnerfeldt
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by BobGunnerfeldt » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:07 am

cassmcentee wrote:I would say that's just about right! :D
Thank you for your help, Cass

arodgers

Post by arodgers » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:35 am

cassmcentee wrote:
arodgers wrote:2017 will be my first rally. Any idea on how many CD's I should prepare? 20? 50?
I would say it depends on what is contained on the CD
Is it an Artist Album that you are promoting and handing out to everyone or is it a selection of Cues/Songs for TV/Film?
50 if an Album
10 to 20 if Cues/Songs
just my opinion.... :D
Cass
Cues/ Songs for TV/Film. Thanks For the response!

thegajman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by thegajman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:50 pm

I was all set with about 20 CDs that I had burned and put adhesive labels on (with track names, contact details etc) and today I went into a place that does duplication .. just to buy some more CD-Rs and cases..

.. and they were horrified that I had a) used adhesive labels. Supposedly they are bad news for some CD players? and b) Had just burned the tracks using iTunes (supposedly a lower bit rate or something?).

For the sake of $120 I'm getting them to burn and thermal print 30 CDs + slimline cases. I may just have been sucked into their sales pitch, but the last thing I want is to give a CD to someone important and it won't play.

Has anyone one else thought about this stuff, and what is your approach with burning and labeling your CDs?

Thanks.

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:08 am

thegajman wrote:I was all set with about 20 CDs that I had burned and put adhesive labels on (with track names, contact details etc) and today I went into a place that does duplication .. just to buy some more CD-Rs and cases..

.. and they were horrified that I had a) used adhesive labels. Supposedly they are bad news for some CD players? and b) Had just burned the tracks using iTunes (supposedly a lower bit rate or something?).

For the sake of $120 I'm getting them to burn and thermal print 30 CDs + slimline cases. I may just have been sucked into their sales pitch, but the last thing I want is to give a CD to someone important and it won't play.

Has anyone one else thought about this stuff, and what is your approach with burning and labeling your CDs?

Thanks.
I have been burning and printing my own cds for over 10 years. I use RecordNow Plus software for burning that came with my Dell Windows laptops (so you can use any OEM that comes with your system. Then in 2006 I bought an Epson Stylus R300 Printer for $250 that prints onto CD's as well as paper. It's a trooper..still working great (knock on wood) :D I order the printable CD's for burning and printing.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Linda C

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:13 pm

Its my first rally too, but for CD labeling I bought a Canon Pixma iP7250 printer and some printable CDs (not really any more expensive than any other CD). The direct to CD print quality is very good indeed! Its a shame that replacement printer ink cartridges are just about the same price as the new printer itself (with inks), but I guess that means I might as well just buy another new machine every time the ink runs out :)
https://www.canon.co.uk/printers/inkjet ... ma_ip7250/
Having designed the CD label with the included printer software, I then printed the same design (track list, contact details) on paper (two per sheet) and cut them to fit in see-through CD sleeves (about 118mm square). It looks better than my Sharpie handwriting.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:18 pm

Telefunkin wrote:Its my first rally too, but for CD labeling I bought a Canon Pixma iP7250 printer and some printable CDs (not really any more expensive than any other CD). The direct to CD print quality is very good indeed! Its a shame that replacement printer ink cartridges are just about the same price as the new printer itself (with inks), but I guess that means I might as well just buy another new machine every time the ink runs out :)
https://www.canon.co.uk/printers/inkjet ... ma_ip7250/
Having designed the CD label with the included printer software, I then printed the same design (track list, contact details) on paper (two per sheet) and cut them to fit in see-through CD sleeves (about 118mm square). It looks better than my Sharpie handwriting.
I have been buying my ink cartridges on Ebay from 3rd party sellers for so much less than the manufacturers' prices with great success. I imagine you can do the same with Ebay Uk?

My first Rally too! Look forward to meeting you all!

Linda C