Changing Gears...

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hookstownbrown
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Changing Gears...

Post by hookstownbrown » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:50 pm

So I got my first cuts on a cd here in Nashville. Although it's not a major release, it's getting remarkable industry attention. The doors are opening for me on Music Row and a publishing deal seems to be in the works for me. Years of effort have turned into weeks of excitement. No, that's not the word... Skeptical optimism is more like it. I'd like to be exicited, but I'm in business mode now.I thought I would jump for joy when all this finally happened, Here I am, though, tossing around the negotiation scenario, planning my strategy, thinking about how I will find co-writers, wishing I had worked on my live performance more and on and on...What I find strange is this...I was into the journey. I was so used to getting the rejections and all... I was almost comfortable with that groove. It became a routine for me. I knew how to reply when I got an "I'll pass" from a publisher. I knew how to handle an encouraging rejection... "Keep writing!" I became an expert at handling the expected.Then the unexpected happened. I got the green light.Has anybody experienced that same emotion? Where you just don't know how to act... How to handle it... Musical or not.Changing gears... I love a fresh challenge!

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Changing Gears...

Post by ernstinen » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:14 pm

Yea, Hooks, I've been down that path.ALMOST got signed to Epic Records after they saw my rock showcase in L.A.WANTED me to sign a bogus contract to an Indie label.DECIDING to write orchestral music for the concert stage."Changing gears" is good for any creative person. I've had more success writing for orchestra than I ever did writing pop/rock music. Orchestras from D.C. to L.A., Bulgaria to Kiev have played my symphonic compositions. The Kiev recording is going to be released within the next month.DO WHAT YOU LOVE! Ern

hookstownbrown
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by hookstownbrown » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:05 pm

CMA's?? Well, I very much doubt it. But I will say this... You never know what tomorrow will bring...

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:32 am

Hooks I definitely relate, my "career" has been a continuous sequence of episodes of "skeptikal optimism", so to speak... . The "jump for joy" moments have been few and far between, usually it's more like "hmm this could turn out to be a great thing, BUT... ".I think it's generally a good idea to keep your expectations on the low side so as not to be disappointed if things don't move as fast or get as big as you might hope for... Remember you can still be into the journey, cause that journey continues. You've simply climbed to a higher level... The one thing I've taken from every success I've had is that feeling of: "oh so it can be done...I can actually achieve this...it's really just a matter of time, hard work, and perseverance". It gives you a quiet confidence which comes in really handy during those episodes of self doubt ).Good luck to you on your continued journey!matto

hookstownbrown
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by hookstownbrown » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:01 am

Quote:Ron I thought I'll do a good thing and purchase the 3 songs on your main page! May the nickels rollin' in! Why thank you, sir! I hope you enjoy them. I wish I had 400,000 more friends just like you!

hookstownbrown
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by hookstownbrown » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:05 am

On a sidenote, overall stats on my website have tripled over the last month! Lots of visits and data transfer from the Nashville area...

og
Impressive
Impressive

Post by og » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:57 pm

Hook, congrats. I'm just starting out (late in life) and stories like yours give me the impetus to keep plugging away.I let my wife do the "Woo Hoo's" for my little successes. I'm much too cynical to get my hopes up too far... I do allow myself a dream, occasionally, for the serotonin, mostly.Best of luck now, and in the future!

mrbassman

Post by mrbassman » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:22 pm

Congratulations Ron!! Finally it seems you found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow you've been chasing...

drew
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by drew » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:01 am

Quote:Quote:Ron I thought I'll do a good thing and purchase the 3 songs on your main page! May the nickels rollin' in! Why thank you, sir! I hope you enjoy them. I wish I had 400,000 more friends just like you! or... gunter could buy 400,000 more copies.
It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:58 am

It's always a love/hate relationship, Hook.Here, I'm working so hard with ONOFFON, all of the sudden this New York Foundation for the Arts sponsorship comes to produce this film about my dad. On the surface, this is a monumental occurrence in my life. On the positive side, it is tremendous validation for one of the artistic missions in my life. It's a green light I wasn't expecting.But, on the negative side, even though it's a green light, it's almost like God has dangled yet another impossible task in front of me. I'm literally pouring my heart and soul into making this project work - I've now written 297 proposals and received 75 rejections. I can't tell you how tough it is to receive one, or two, or three rejections every day and still keep positive about this.But, I also keep receiving support from all over the country. Even the negative responses tell me how worthy the project is. I know this is my destiny - I have no choice but continue...It's a blessing and a curse...I hope this leads to true artistic fulfillment for you!