with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DolfoMan
Active
Active

Channel strips WITH stand alone plugins

Post by DolfoMan » Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:19 am

Question for the mixing guru's.

I'm always looking on upping my mixing game. I've been really interested in getting better at using channel strips, I'll save my reasonings for that since that's a whole other topic.

My question is how/why use other stand alone plugins like compressors and saturators along with those channel strips if the channel strips already have them built in?

I've seen lots of lessons and courses on how to use channel strips or stand alones, some by the same people preaching how great both are and how they "use them on pretty much everything" but nothing explaining how they use them together or why use the additional ones.

Any thoughts or resources?

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Channel strips WITH stand alone plugins

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:21 pm

DolfoMan wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:19 am
My question is how/why use other stand alone plugins like compressors and saturators along with those channel strips if the channel strips already have them built in?
Because they are all different. They all have their own unique sound, interface , capabilities etc.

I rarely use the channel strip built into my DAW because the standalone plugins I use are more flexible and I can get the job done quicker with them.

That's not to say there is anything wrong with the channel strip itself but I was already used to my standalone plugins before it was introduced. When I tried it, it was a bit of a backward step compared to what I was already using.But I would certainly advocate for using it if someone was just starting out as you can put together a perfectly good mix with it.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:36 pm

Everybody works differently. Personally, I don't use much of the channel strip built into Cubase, preferring 3rd party plugins for reasons such as features, operation, character, ease of use, sonic advantages, user interface, visual feedback, etc. Sure, I could work with only the built-in channel strip, but I'd rather use the tools that make most sense to me to get the job done, even 3rd party channel strip plugins! There's also no reason why I couldn't combine some/all of the Cubase channel strip with additional plugins. Most DAWs include the signal chain diagram in their manual, so you should be able to find out where these things fit in the chain. Basically though, all options are open for you to use whatever works best for you.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:17 am

From my experience, saving plugin chains to use in different sessions is hit and miss, because the tracks are always different (I mostly record audio) Most DAWS have this built in, and they can be useful, if at least as a starting point. However, there are a few 3rd party plugin companies that have some pretty killer plugin chains, many of which are "modeled" after famous producers and engineers etc, but your mileage may vary.
For 3rd party, I always use Slate Digital Virtual Mix Rack, and STLTones COntrolHub. It saves a ton of time, and is always at least a great starting point that allows me to focus more on the music, and less on Engineering/Production
But again, that is just me..... If you are doing ALL Electronic, MIDI based tracks, than you probably are fine with built in plugin chains within your DAW...... It is not like they AREN'T good these days!, especially Cubase!
Bradley Hagen Productions
Bradley Hagen (702) 513-5320
www.bradleyhagenproductions.com