Chill Electro Cue feedback

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

KennyWayneBuffalo
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Chill Electro Cue feedback

Post by KennyWayneBuffalo » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:56 pm

I see some interest in this listing, here's my WIP.

https://www.taxi.com/members/LpcvTT7mTN ... in-the-air

Lots of CHILL ELECTRO INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by an extremely busy Music Library with a tremendously long list of killer placements in Hit TV Shows!

This Library is on the hunt for a bunch of Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues that are in the general stylistic ballpark of these references we got directly from them:

"Beach Memories" by Sum Wave

"Jacuzzi" by Jobii

"I Will Wait" by Anton Vlasov

"Rain Check" by Dylan Sitts

Please submit top-notch Chill Electro Instrumental Cues with a laidback sound and style. Your submissions should have solid beats, modern production, and super fresh, high-quality virtual instruments and samples. Craft your Cues around a singular motif and mood, and create a sense of forward momentum and dynamics by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress.

IMPORTANT: This Library really wants to find top-notch Composers – not just people who combine different samples or loops without altering them at all. Cleared sample libraries are okay to use, but any samples or loops you include in your pieces should be altered enough that they're indistinguishable from the originals. Basically, if you Shazamed one of your tracks and another artist's song comes up, your music would definitely be disqualified by this company.

All submissions should be about 90 seconds to 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings are strongly recommended. Do NOT copy the referenced tracks in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal. You’ll split all upfront sync fees 50/50. You’ll keep 100% of the Writer’s share and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright. Since this is an EXCLUSIVE deal, please be sure the material you submit for this pitch is not already signed with other Libraries or Catalogs. Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Saturday, September 25th, 2021. TAXI # S210925EC

Submit to this listing TAXI # S210925EC
Ken

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Chill Electro Cue feedback

Post by DouglasKnight » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:03 pm

KennyWayneBuffalo wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:56 pm

Lots of CHILL ELECTRO INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by an extremely busy Music Library with a tremendously long list of killer placements in Hit TV Shows!
Hey Kenny! I like the sounds you are choosing and the vibe you're going for, very nice start here! If anything, I'd love to hear a stronger rhythmic component to the piece, perhaps even a faster tempo? Keep up the good work!
DK

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Zaychi » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:13 pm

This may be very personal, but I feel the A section is too stereotyped and clichee musically. The question-answer themes are bland and repeated too often, and they seem to go on forever. The B section (starting 0:38) is much better, if I were you I'd try to get the A section more to that level.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:37 pm

The listing includes the sentence....
KennyWayneBuffalo wrote:
Your submissions should have solid beats, modern production, and super fresh, high-quality virtual instruments and samples.
Therefore, I fear the feedback on this one would include the dreaded words - 'dated sounds'. The synths sound rather 70's to me, and the drum machine comes across as more than a little pedestrian and also with less than modern sonic appeal. I quite like the soothing simplicity of it all, but I can't help but think it is unlikely to get past the screeners.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

KennyWayneBuffalo
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by KennyWayneBuffalo » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:55 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:37 pm
The listing includes the sentence....
KennyWayneBuffalo wrote:
Your submissions should have solid beats, modern production, and super fresh, high-quality virtual instruments and samples.
Therefore, I fear the feedback on this one would include the dreaded words - 'dated sounds'. The synths sound rather 70's to me, and the drum machine comes across as more than a little pedestrian and also with less than modern sonic appeal. I quite like the soothing simplicity of it all, but I can't help but think it is unlikely to get past the screeners.
I don't doubt you on this. Are there parameters I could adjust to make these sounds "newer," or do I need new software? I am a guitarist learning this MIDI thing over about the last year, so I'm not sure what "new" synth sounds are. Sometimes it seems like screeners check that box about sounds when they really are not suitable for the given genre. I appreciate the feedback.
Ken

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:41 am

KennyWayneBuffalo wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:55 pm
Are there parameters I could adjust to make these sounds "newer," or do I need new software? I am a guitarist learning this MIDI thing over about the last year, so I'm not sure what "new" synth sounds are.
This is a question I've seen loads of times here, and to me (although others might have different or better suggestions) there are three basic strategies:
- Use the sounds you have but mess them about a bit with whatever tools you have (distortion, modulation, reversal, filtering, enveloping,...etc) to make them sound more current.
- Buy kit that makes more modern sounds (there's a ton of soft synths and drum software that can do this, but beware that they often include loads of 'classic' sounds too and it will ultimately come down to your choice of what sounds to select and include).
- The most important thing is to listen. Without informing your ears/brain on what sounds current and dated the previous two suggestions are useless and you can go round in circles with no better result, having spent a load of time and money.

To get a 'feel' for current sounds you have to listen to current music, like it or not. Further to that, if you want to make music in a particular genre then you have to listen to that genre. I believe its the only way to get the answers you seek, otherwise your ears/brain/taste will always tell you that the sounds you are familiar with are fine. In this particular case, you could do worse than keeping the ref tracks playing on a loop for a few hours, then go back to your track and see whether you can tell what sounds dated and perhaps why. There is HUGE warning though - many 'current' sounds are based heavily on older 'classic' sounds, which can be really confusing. Its up to you to identify the subtleties that suggest 'today' or 'yesterday', then find a way to create them that makes sense to you. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it ;). All I can say is listen, listen, listen..... and then listen some more.

I hope someone else has some more useful suggestions that will help you, but I suspect they will all depend heavily on listening to the music you want to make.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:48 am

I'm sorry but this doesn't sound anything like a contemporary chill track to me, it reminds more of something you'd hear when put on hold in the 80s

Have you studied the references here? LIke REALLY studied them ? Have you sat and written out a list of instruments , sounds, production techniques and common genre structures...then scoured the internet to find answers to the things you don't know.

Because at the moment it just sounds like you opened up the DAW and wrote whatever came to you. I think you need to do a lot research before you even start as it seems like you've not listened critically.

Mark

NMN
Active
Active

Post by NMN » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:35 pm

KennyWayneBuffalo wrote:

This Library is on the hunt for a bunch of Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues that are in the general stylistic ballpark of these references we got directly from them:

"Beach Memories" by Sum Wave

"Jacuzzi" by Jobii

"I Will Wait" by Anton Vlasov

"Rain Check" by Dylan Sitts

Please submit top-notch Chill Electro Instrumental Cues with a laidback sound and style. Your submissions should have solid beats, modern production, and super fresh, high-quality virtual instruments and samples. Craft your Cues around a singular motif and mood, and create a sense of forward momentum and dynamics by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress.

IMPORTANT: This Library really wants to find top-notch Composers – not just people who combine different samples or loops without altering them at all. Cleared sample libraries are okay to use, but any samples or loops you include in your pieces should be altered enough that they're indistinguishable from the originals. Basically, if you Shazamed one of your tracks and another artist's song comes up, your music would definitely be disqualified by this company.

All submissions should be about 90 seconds to 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings are strongly recommended. Do NOT copy the referenced tracks in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal. You’ll split all upfront sync fees 50/50. You’ll keep 100% of the Writer’s share and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright. Since this is an EXCLUSIVE deal, please be sure the material you submit for this pitch is not already signed with other Libraries or Catalogs. Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Saturday, September 25th, 2021. TAXI # S210925EC

Submit to this listing TAXI # S210925EC
Hello Kenny, I think that the overall composition is cool but the synth sounds need an upgrade. Also try more of a "hip-hop" like beat that isn't fully quantized rather than a quarter-note drum beat. It has more of a New-Wave 70s/80s sound to it currently. Good luck!

KennyWayneBuffalo
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by KennyWayneBuffalo » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:10 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:41 am
KennyWayneBuffalo wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:55 pm
Are there parameters I could adjust to make these sounds "newer," or do I need new software? I am a guitarist learning this MIDI thing over about the last year, so I'm not sure what "new" synth sounds are.
This is a question I've seen loads of times here, and to me (although others might have different or better suggestions) there are three basic strategies:
- Use the sounds you have but mess them about a bit with whatever tools you have (distortion, modulation, reversal, filtering, enveloping,...etc) to make them sound more current.
- Buy kit that makes more modern sounds (there's a ton of soft synths and drum software that can do this, but beware that they often include loads of 'classic' sounds too and it will ultimately come down to your choice of what sounds to select and include).
- The most important thing is to listen. Without informing your ears/brain on what sounds current and dated the previous two suggestions are useless and you can go round in circles with no better result, having spent a load of time and money.

To get a 'feel' for current sounds you have to listen to current music, like it or not. Further to that, if you want to make music in a particular genre then you have to listen to that genre. I believe its the only way to get the answers you seek, otherwise your ears/brain/taste will always tell you that the sounds you are familiar with are fine. In this particular case, you could do worse than keeping the ref tracks playing on a loop for a few hours, then go back to your track and see whether you can tell what sounds dated and perhaps why. There is HUGE warning though - many 'current' sounds are based heavily on older 'classic' sounds, which can be really confusing. Its up to you to identify the subtleties that suggest 'today' or 'yesterday', then find a way to create them that makes sense to you. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it ;). All I can say is listen, listen, listen..... and then listen some more.

I hope someone else has some more useful suggestions that will help you, but I suspect they will all depend heavily on listening to the music you want to make.
Thanks, I find this helpful, and I have tried to listen to more current music over the past year or so. I have found some I like and some not so much. I agree that new sounds based on old sounds is very confusing. I have bought a few newer libraries for some instruments and am trying to use those.
Ken

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:51 am

So would these sounds perhaps be good for a synthwave listing?

(BTW, had to laugh at the idea of altering something until it's indistinguishable from the original!)

===
Michael