Chill Electro Instrumental Cues

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

shyof11

Chill Electro Instrumental Cues

Post by shyof11 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:01 am

Greetings! I am new to Taxi as well as new to writing instrumental cues in general. I got dinged on a previous similar listing for "too repetitive" and "better developmental arc" as well as "better/bigger more composed ending".

I have put together 3 cues for this listing but will post just 1 for now as I am not sure if posting all 3 is a no no on one thread?

Also, I have used a pitched down vocal as a "mood instrument", however I fear the reviewer may say this is not instrumental perhaps?
Any advice appreciated. Below is the link to the song and listing.

https://www.taxi.com/members/6lzVmYkRQ6 ... andromecha

Lots of CHILL ELECTRO INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by an extremely busy Music Library with a tremendously long list of killer placements in Hit TV Shows!

This Library is on the hunt for a bunch of Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues that are in the general stylistic ballpark of these references we got directly from them:

"Beach Memories" by Sum Wave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcPI00-FHCs

"Jacuzzi" by Jobii
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ44A0KA4ys

"I Will Wait" by Anton Vlasov
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9UHwZq6ExY

"Rain Check" by Dylan Sitts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAuwlX1uQNo

Please submit top-notch Chill Electro Instrumental Cues with a laidback sound and style. Your submissions should have solid beats, modern production, and super fresh, high-quality virtual instruments and samples. Craft your Cues around a singular motif and mood, and create a sense of forward momentum and dynamics by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress.

IMPORTANT: This Library really wants to find top-notch Composers – not just people who combine different samples or loops without altering them at all. Cleared sample libraries are okay to use, but any samples or loops you include in your pieces should be altered enough that they're indistinguishable from the originals. Basically, if you Shazamed one of your tracks and another artist's song comes up, your music would definitely be disqualified by this company.

All submissions should be about 90 seconds to 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings are strongly recommended. Do NOT copy the referenced tracks in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal. You’ll split all upfront sync fees 50/50. You’ll keep 100% of the Writer’s share and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright. Since this is an EXCLUSIVE deal, please be sure the material you submit for this pitch is not already signed with other Libraries or Catalogs. Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Saturday, September 25th, 2021. TAXI # S210925EC
Last edited by shyof11 on Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Chill Electro Instrumental Cues

Post by AlanHall » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:14 am

the link doesn't work. the "my/artist" portion of the path must be replaced by the actual pathname. Hope to hear your work soon! :)

shyof11

Post by shyof11 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:58 am

Sorry bout that, I changed the link, Hope this works?

Last edited by shyof11 on Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:18 pm

Yes, the link works! I like it, well-produced, and I'd definitely be grooving right along if it were playing at a party.
I'd say the vocal 'riffage' is just fine. Others will chime in.
Craft your Cues around a singular motif and mood, and create a sense of forward momentum and dynamics by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress.
I don't hear a lot of layering/contrast/dynamics in your track. From end-to-end (or end-to-middle and back again) provide enough contrast for the editor to have choices.
I can't really say if the track is right for the listing (no links to the ref tracks) but I might be tempted to predict a 'too repetitive' review comment. I hear that the bass deviates from its main groove in a spot, but that doesn't scream "new part!" to me. I think giving the bass fewer notes to play as a loop (maybe only with the kick drum hits) would help add something by taking something away. And then add the full riff later in the cue as an evolving layer to the sound.
There's only one major breakdown (edit point) that I could see from the wave form, a well-structured cue will have options for the editor to choose from.
Is the kick right for the genre? I ask because I don't really know that style too well. I was expecting something tighter, less 'woof'. But that's just me.

shyof11

Post by shyof11 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:59 am

AlanHall wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:18 pm
Yes, the link works! I like it, well-produced, and I'd definitely be grooving right along if it were playing at a party.
I'd say the vocal 'riffage' is just fine. Others will chime in.
Craft your Cues around a singular motif and mood, and create a sense of forward momentum and dynamics by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress.
I don't hear a lot of layering/contrast/dynamics in your track. From end-to-end (or end-to-middle and back again) provide enough contrast for the editor to have choices.
I can't really say if the track is right for the listing (no links to the ref tracks) but I might be tempted to predict a 'too repetitive' review comment. I hear that the bass deviates from its main groove in a spot, but that doesn't scream "new part!" to me. I think giving the bass fewer notes to play as a loop (maybe only with the kick drum hits) would help add something by taking something away. And then add the full riff later in the cue as an evolving layer to the sound.
There's only one major breakdown (edit point) that I could see from the wave form, a well-structured cue will have options for the editor to choose from.
Is the kick right for the genre? I ask because I don't really know that style too well. I was expecting something tighter, less 'woof'. But that's just me.
Thanks for the insights Alan, much appreciated. My challenge is crafting around a singular motif without sounding repetitive. Getting my head around song structure, progression and layering for cues is taking some time to understand and execute as I have spent more time working with traditional song structures. I am guessing seeing the breaks in the wave form is important for editors so having another section of a breakdown should be something I add.

Also the final ring out happens at 2.25, is this considered too long for the listing? If anyone else has suggestions or feedback it is greatly appreciated.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:40 am

Thanks for the links to the ref tracks. It will really help others to fine-tune their comments (I will listen again later today!).
EraCollage wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:59 am
Also the final ring out happens at 2.25, is this considered too long for the listing? If anyone else has suggestions or feedback it is greatly appreciated.
Yes, for a cue that asks for 90sec-2min, more than a few secs over 2 minutes is too long. This is a good thing as it allows you to focus more on providing the layers/variety they need without having to be repetitive. You can take a 30-sec chunk out of the cue and not worry!

I've had a few forwards - and as yet no signings - from the two dozen or so submissions I've made; I have struggled to avoid the 'repetitive' comment. I have listened to forwards, and in general other fine music, and discovered that many instruments enter as a stripped-down version of a groove, and over several 'loops' (choruses, progressions, what-have-you) the instrumental part evolves into the busy groove that really pushes the music along. In my mind, it's really a process of subtraction, working backwards from that final chorus where everything is grooving at its peak. I haven't gotten the 'too repetitive' comment recently, I attribute it to that particular model of composition. Hopeful thinking! ;)

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Zaychi » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:23 am

I think you're overdoing the boom in the kick in the early track, before 0:40. It is a really impressive sound, but it is too present for a chill song.

I agree about the repetitiveness, it stays in the same place for too long now. But as Alan said, you have to cut at LEAST 30s anyway; it will get returned simply for length as it is. "Give or take" means a few seconds!

I feel the current bass line is quite busy for chill in some places, as well... check out the refs, they have much less notes.

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:42 am

I really like the track -- you've got a lot of cool sounds really working well together. I agree with AlanHall and Zaychi about taking out 30 seconds (maybe :20 - :50?) so it's under 2:00 total, and in altering the bass part. I do like the vocals however the big reverb washes were a bit overpowering to my ears. Maybe using them more sparingly and/or dialing out some of the low end on the reverb returns? Anyway, you've got a really nice submission going, keep up the good work!

shyof11

Post by shyof11 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:16 pm

Cheers to everyone that commented with feedback. It is very appreciated and I will try to fine tune this track.
I have 2 other tracks for this listing if anyone is interested in hearing them. Once again feedback is welcomed as I am new to this.

Back in the Daze-

Tell Me Why-

as well here is a newer edited version of "Come Away"-