Choosing a Music Distribution Service

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

kat914

Choosing a Music Distribution Service

Post by kat914 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:47 am

Hiya! I'm Kat - a songwriter/producer, vetting the vast array of music distribution services, and would greatly appreciate getting input from this forum.

I have ~ 70 finished songs: some grouped in an album under one production, and others that are individual songs. The concepts and artists vary, and the music varies a little between genres of pop, rock and soul. My goal is to make the music available via various streaming services, and continue to add more as I write. I'm providing this info as I realize - depending on the goal - one platform may be better than another. I'm good with a subscription but I'd rather not get nicked with ongoing fees based on how much content I've loaded (e.g. $10/yr/single, $30/album...).... I am more open to arrangements where I have to give up percentages of streaming revenue for unlimited.

I might have selected TuneCore, but it looks like their model is to charge those annual per song / per album fees.
I also want lyric distribution, so this knocks out CD Baby.
Based on what I've read about, DistroKid could be a good fit...or perhaps Songtradr or OneRPM... or...?

Any guidance / experience is greatly appreciated!

Best,

Kat