Christmas listing, too youthful

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Anders
Impressive
Impressive

Christmas listing, too youthful

Post by Anders » Wed May 27, 2020 1:04 am

Hi,

I submitted my first vocal track a few weeks ago where my 10 year old daughter sings ”Deck the Halls”.
We had so much fun recording this and have already started experimenting with several other Christmas Public Domain tracks since it seems to be season for this now ;-)

It was returned today by #309:
I returned or forwarded this song because
The mood and vibe were too youthful to suite the needs of this client and the request a la the refs
(with ”Mood is off target with the listing request” checked)

There were also some very encouraging comments:
What I like most about this song
Your song has a marketable tone and vibe. I like the youthful energy of the song.

I think you could improve this song by
Your song is marketable overall, however, the mood and tone give it a more youthful style and vibe which doesn't connect as universally as desired. I could hear this working for a young demographic.

I was also glad to see that no remarks was ”checked” regarding ”Composition, Performance, Recording and Production”.

Now, I absolutely agree that it sounds very youthful and there are no children singing on any of the reference tracks.
But the listing says ”The Music Supervisor is open to material in all commercially viable styles and genres” and I believe the ”Tenth Avenue North” in some ways has a similar youthfulness.

Either way, we will continue to record but I’m wondering if I should postpone submitting to any Christmas listings unless it specifically asks for children’s voice ?

Grateful for any insights on this…also any comments on the track (good or bad) would be very welcome!

Thanks!
/Anders

Our track
https://soundcloud.com/akysound/deck-th ... RvfdFDLCmM

The listing:
PUBLIC DOMAIN CHRISTMAS SONGS with Male or Female Vocals are needed for several (up to) $3,000, Direct-to-Music-Supervisor placements in a NEW TV Series on a Major Streaming Service.

They’re looking for Songs in Various Genres and Tempos that could be found on a holiday playlist with these references:

“Jingle Bells” by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw8wxv_sFMg

“Joy to the World” by Mariah Carey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tcbarFCk3w

"Deck The Halls " by Tenth Avenue North
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7dF1P0PHss

"Joy To The World" by Pentatonix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xo64Q2ucQ8

The Music Supervisor is open to material in all commercially viable styles and genres; however, they would ideally love to receive material rooted in retro-sounding styles or R&B renditions that include the original melodies plus some creative arrangements. Modern genres like Singer/Songwriter, Rock, Pop, Country, etc. are fair game as well!

Please submit well-crafted Cover Songs that aim to get listeners into the Christmas spirit. Your productions can range from simple recordings to bigger, more fully developed arrangements – depending on the genre and style you’re submitting. Be sure to stick to the original melodies and lyrics so they’re familiar to listeners.

Broadcast Quality is needed.

NOTE: Please double check to make sure the Covers you submit are truly in the Public Domain! In case you’re unsure if your Songs are in the Public Domain, here’s a link that will help: Public Domain Christmas Song List

The estimated license fee is (up to) $3,000 per placement. These will be Non-Exclusive, Direct-to-Music-Supervisor placements, so you’ll get 100% of the sync fee and you’ll keep 100% of your Master rights.

You must own or control your Master to submit. Please submit as many Songs as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by a TAXI screener who was handpicked by the Music Supervisor. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Thursday, April 30th. TAXI # S200430XM

TAXI # S200430XM

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Christmas listing, too youthful

Post by AlanHall » Thu May 28, 2020 10:34 am

There are very many folks who'd like to count themselves in the company of Smokey, Mariah, Pentatonix and yes, even Tenth Avenue North. But it's an elevated crowd to run with. Your daughter has a great voice, and in a few years will have the control needed to match the glam that the singers in the ref tracks all have. Be patient; in the meantime you might record some more "youthful-oriented" music with her? (taking a cue from the youthful demographic comment) I think there's an appealing vibe in your track, just not the same vibe that the ref tracks exude.

Anders
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Anders » Fri May 29, 2020 12:03 am

Thank you Alan!
in the meantime you might record some more "youthful-oriented" music with her? (taking a cue from the youthful demographic comment)
Yes, we have already started new tracks. She never stops singing, and I love it :D
As for the youthful demographic comment, I figure a lot of the Christmas tracks are going to be geared towards that demographic but I don’t thinks it’s very easy to tell from reading Taxi listings

Thanks!
/Anders

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Fri May 29, 2020 8:14 pm

Anders wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:03 am
Yes, we have already started new tracks. She never stops singing, and I love it :D
Encouragement is the fuel of great things! :)

As far as widely-received Christmas songs with a "youthful" singer, I recall All I want for Christmas is my two front Teeth for my childhood, and more recently I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas (played almost nonstop at the zoo during the Christmas lights exhibit) which was released in 1953. I'm not aware of a wider market for contemporary songs with that vibe. Maybe if you know someone with a syndicated kid's show? Just spitballin' here :o

Anders
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Anders » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:26 am

I recall All I want for Christmas is my two front Teeth for my childhood, and more recently I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas
Awesome, I just checked them out on youtube :D

Feels like my daughter and I are in some weird/cool Christmas mode right now, walking around the house singing ancient Christmas carols in beginning of June :D
I hope we can have some more material ready for all the Christmas listings that keeps coming now

/Anders