Civil War Fife & Drum listing

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

bombaycharlie1
Impressive
Impressive

Civil War Fife & Drum listing

Post by bombaycharlie1 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:14 pm

Hey All. I was thinking of submitting this Marching into Camp:http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... am=truefor this listing:Authentic-sounding CIVIL WAR/FIFE MUSIC INSTRUMENTALS are sought by an LA-based Music Library owned by veterans of that industry. Public Domain songs such as "The Battle Hymn Of The Republic" and "Dixie" are OK (as well as others from that time period) as well as original tracks that sound like they could have been performed back in 1864. Great performances are essential. They offer a non-exclusive, 50/50 split deal - you keep your original copyrights. Broadcast quality needed. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD, include lyrics. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS ONLY - NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI. For ground submissions, please enclose a S.A.S.E. if you would like a response. Submissions must be received no later than Oct. 18, 2007. TAXI # Y071018CWHas anyone done this before?Any comments/ suggestions? ThanksCharlie

boardman
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Civil War Fife & Drum listing

Post by boardman » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:57 pm

Sounds great. I think you hit this one right on the money!Submit!!!(Where did you get that marching snare sound?)

bombaycharlie1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bombaycharlie1 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:46 pm

Thanks... it's from my Yamaha Motif ES6 I might try to detune it a little lower...make it more like a field drum. I've seen pix of field drums, and they're pretty long so I would imagine the sound might be a little deeper.Anyway it's a first attempt.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:19 pm

Hey Charlie that's not bad, I would submit it too.The "fife" sounds a tad too "midi" for me, and normally this stuff is (was) played by an ensemble of a number of fifers and drummers, so this is not that authentic, strictly speaking.But you never know just how authentic "authentic" really means; I'd say it's definitely worth risking 5 bucks on...

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:21 pm

Quote:Hey All. I was thinking of submitting this Marching into Camp:http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... am=truefor this listing:Authentic-sounding CIVIL WAR/FIFE MUSIC INSTRUMENTALS are sought by an LA-based Music Library owned by veterans of that industry. Public Domain songs such as "The Battle Hymn Of The Republic" and "Dixie" are OK (as well as others from that time period) as well as original tracks that sound like they could have been performed back in 1864. Great performances are essential. They offer a non-exclusive, 50/50 split deal - you keep your original copyrights. Broadcast quality needed. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD, include lyrics. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS ONLY - NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI. For ground submissions, please enclose a S.A.S.E. if you would like a response. Submissions must be received no later than Oct. 18, 2007. TAXI # Y071018CWHas anyone done this before?Any comments/ suggestions? ThanksCharlieHey Charlie - sounds right on the money to me. I really like the flutes & counterpoint. It sounds a little midi-ish - I could be totally wrong though. Otherwise I think it's good.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:45 pm

Hey Charlie!You really got this one down. Sure, the fife sounds midi-ish but does anyone even play fife anymore (except as an accessory in a large orchestra)? It's only missing some breath sounds. I love the drum rhythms. I only wish they'd played like that back then!I say submit it!

kevinmathie
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by kevinmathie » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:04 pm

Nice! One thing that makes it less MIDI-ish are the ornaments in the melody. Very nice. And the snare's great too.I was going to try for this listing too, but I'm not going to have time. Too many irons in the fire. Plus, I don't have a good fife.Speaking of which... Is this an actual fife sample, or are you using a piccolo sample? or a flute in a higher octave? Just curious.

bombaycharlie1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bombaycharlie1 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:20 am

Hey All...thanks for listening and giving me feedback. I really value and respect all of your opinions...this is a great forum.The fife is the flute patch on my Motif ES6 played up and octave. I put the ornaments in to make it a little less midi-ish. I had to draw volume envelopes on all the the last notes in each phrase to fade them out...I could touch them up a bit too. I couldn't speed up my mod wheel tremolo to emulate vibrato on those long notes. I'm going to try again today.A friend of mine forwarded a recording of a Fife & Drum Corp. that he had, and it was at least a dozen fifes, and as many drums if not more. I tried to go for that type of performance and it started to sound sloppy, and the listing wanted excellent performances so I was torn...I'm going to try touching this up today, and spend the $5 to submit and see what happens.Thanks again for the invaluable input.I'm almost starting to spend as much time reading the forums as I am working on music...it's funny how it makes the music I'm working on better by just listening to examples posted here and reading everyone's opinions and techniques for writing...again, time well spent.Charlie