Clarification requested - may be a suggestion

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

feloniuspunk
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Clarification requested - may be a suggestion

Post by feloniuspunk » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:39 am

Below is a Dispatch Listing:CHRISTMAS SONGS IN ALL STYLES are needed by an Independent Publisher for a female artist who will be releasing a Christmas CD project. For this artist, a Christian/religious tone in the lyrics is just fine but they’ll also be open to hearing more secular lyrics. Any style and all tempos will be considered, as they're just looking for great songs here. While the styles can be diverse, they are definitely looking for a current tone musically. Female vocals are preferable. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD, include lyric sheets. As usual, you will be notified by email whether your submission has been Forwarded or Returned. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS - NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI - and must be received no later than Noon PST on Tuesday, Mar. 25, 2008. TAXI #D080325CSHere's my question: I have a Christmas song, but it's an instrumental. But it has lyrics! So, where does leave me? Should I submit or not? Apparently this listing is for a female vocalist who will re-record songs forwarded to her anyway (Independent Publisher for a female artist who will be releasing a Christmas CD project). So, if I have a bona fide Christmas tune, which I do, it's called "Santa Will Visit Tonight" and there are some great lyrics too, but it's an instrumental version, should I assume that the solicitor(s) are competent enough to make up their own minds about whether or not this would be a good song for their artist just from hearing the instrumental version of the tune? I can supply lead sheets in any key for all of my music, so if that's the case, I'm thinking I should submit. After all, it's only $5 right?I'd like someone from Taxi to respond, someone with some real decision making authority, so I can decide whether or not to submit to this listing or not. Why waste $5 if it'd be an automatic no-go anyway?What I'm afraid of is that I will not be forwarded simply because it's an instrumental. The "vocals only" aspect is rather implicit in this case and not really explicit?A little help?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Clarification requested - may be a suggestion

Post by Casey H » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:41 am

Quote:Below is a Dispatch Listing:CHRISTMAS SONGS IN ALL STYLES are needed by an Independent Publisher for a female artist who will be releasing a Christmas CD project. For this artist, a Christian/religious tone in the lyrics is just fine but they’ll also be open to hearing more secular lyrics. Any style and all tempos will be considered, as they're just looking for great songs here. While the styles can be diverse, they are definitely looking for a current tone musically. Female vocals are preferable. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD, include lyric sheets. As usual, you will be notified by email whether your submission has been Forwarded or Returned. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS - NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI - and must be received no later than Noon PST on Tuesday, Mar. 25, 2008. TAXI #D080325CSHere's my question: I have a Christmas song, but it's an instrumental. But it has lyrics! So, where does leave me? Should I submit or not? Apparently this listing is for a female vocalist who will re-record songs forwarded to her anyway (Independent Publisher for a female artist who will be releasing a Christmas CD project). So, if I have a bona fide Christmas tune, which I do, it's called "Santa Will Visit Tonight" and there are some great lyrics too, but it's an instrumental version, should I assume that the solicitor(s) are competent enough to make up their own minds about whether or not this would be a good song for their artist just from hearing the instrumental version of the tune? I can supply lead sheets in any key for all of my music, so if that's the case, I'm thinking I should submit. After all, it's only $5 right?I'd like someone from Taxi to respond, someone with some real decision making authority, so I can decide whether or not to submit to this listing or not. Why waste $5 if it'd be an automatic no-go anyway?What I'm afraid of is that I will not be forwarded simply because it's an instrumental. The "vocals only" aspect is rather implicit in this case and not really explicit?A little help?The way the listing reads, they want songs with lyrics, not instrumentals and you WOULD be wasting your money submitting an instrumental. You need to record a vocal with some set of lyrics for this, bearing in mind that the lyrics are an important part of the submission (as with any publisher/artist pitch).When you do have a question about a listing and you want a response from TAXI, you need to call or email them directly. And did you really think someone from TAXI WITHOUT decision making authority (or at least proper knowledge) would respond? Please, please all of you: Stop emailing the guy who cleans the floor at night about your submissions!! Casey

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:17 am

TAXI does monitor the forum but I've never seen them answer a question about a listing here. It's mostly larger issues like website problems, streaming issues, etc.Casey has the best idea, call them!Cheers,Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:59 am

Hey Fp, IMO the submission would be returned because there are no vocals. Sounds like they'd be willing to listen to male vocals even tho this is for a female artist, but I doubt they would be willing to consider an instrumental. You need the vocals to sell the song to them. Otherwise, it's like saying "would you buy my suit if I showed it to you without a jacket?"H
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

feloniuspunk
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by feloniuspunk » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:26 am

Thanks for the replies. It's just that some listings come right out and say "No Instrumentals" or "No Vocals", and this particular one did not, and to me that's implict, not explicit. The listing says lyrics (over and over again). Lyrics are different from vocals. My tune has lyrics. It says 'female vocals' are preferrable, not mandatory.And to Casey, "And did you really think someone from TAXI WITHOUT decision making authority (or at least proper knowledge) would respond?"I have no idea who responds here or their level of authority or knowledge or place in the food chain. And I also don't look that hard at their credentials or numbers of stars by their name. I do read the replies though and try to understand what the response is trying to communicate.I get a sense that you sort of have it in for me a little bit. Do you? And if so, why? Whatever I did I'm sorry man.Knowledge is for sharing . . .

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:06 pm

The way I read the listing they are saying they prefer to hear Female vocals but a demo with Male vocals will be considered. I don't think for a moment that they would expect an instrumental to be submitted.H
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:28 pm

FeloniusMy apologies for being so rough around the edges in my responses to you. No, I don't have it in for you at all! I read things into your posts that I probably shouldn't have. Maybe I was just grouchy this morning.Please accept my apology. Casey

feloniuspunk
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by feloniuspunk » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:02 am

Casey, you da man! From reading your posts I can tell you have a lot of info stored up there between your ears and we are all lucky to share it. On forums sometimes I come across a bit short or terse I guess, for brevity's sake, but I meant nothing ill. I guess in this business if you've been in it as long as I have (since 1963) your skin grows a little thick. Wow, that's 45 years!My God, I've turned into a T-Rex! (on the outside) but I'm still just a big snuggly teddy bear on the inside.