Classical 'borrowing'!

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

simonrushby
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Classical 'borrowing'!

Post by simonrushby » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:17 am

This one comes out of a conversation I had with Magne (thesongcabinet) on the 'best song of all time' thread...

'Stranger in Paradise' (from Kismet) uses the melody from Borodin's Polovtsian Dances (Prince Igor). Eric Carmen/Celine Dion's 'All By Myself' is inspired by Rachmaninov's Second Piano Concerto. How many other examples of 'borrowing' from the classical masters are there? Maybe it's a good idea, if all this music is out of copyright ;)

stevebarden
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Classical 'borrowing'!

Post by stevebarden » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:10 pm

"Borrowing" melodies from classical music to be used in pop music has been going on for quite some time. If you're going to do - as opposed to writing something brilliant and unique on your own - you better make sure that it's in the public domain!

evanmcgill
Impressive
Impressive

Post by evanmcgill » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:37 am

Yes, but can you copyright your own song IF you're using uncopyrighted classical music?

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:17 pm

Yeah, so far I've only used PD for christmas songs http://www.pdinfo.com/list.php
But I fail to find classical works in there - anybody knows why?

I think we all subconsciously draw upon classical works, as many are kind of epitome melodies. As far as I recall, harmony was quite abscent in some periods, or at least not as cadenced as we know it from rhytmical music.

So the main influences from classical music would probably be melodic..
Ceo of my own life

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:04 am

I know there are lots of famous examples, "La Mer", AKA "Beyond The Sea", was DeBussy, wasn't it? Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Tchaikovsky, A Fifth Of Beethoven, Bach's Ode To Joy; I think Verdi had some pop hits, too. I should let experts weigh in here, though. American roots music is my specialty; I only know enough about jazz and classical to be dangerous, heh.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

grandsoul
Impressive
Impressive

Post by grandsoul » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:52 am

Barry Manilow used a noticeable chunk of a Chopin piece in his early hit, "Could It Be Magic". Obiquously, Chopin has been deceased for a rather long time "ala' before the copyright law(s) came into effect.

Keith emerson (of Emerson, Lake, and Palmer fame) got in a stew when one of his compositions used a part of Dovark's music in his song. The estate on behalf of Dvorak filed litigation against Emerson, but they settled on the matter. Although it wasn't grossly intentional (as ELP have used stabs of other composer's works in their own), if a piece (in any music style of music) is used in your composition, and is covered under the current copyright laws, get permission from the publisher/composer before you use it :!:

beachbum88

Post by beachbum88 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:39 pm

There have been many songs which have taken melodies from folk songs which are in the public domain (eg. Simon and Garfunkle's "Scarborough Fair," Elvis Presley's "It's Now or Never" (O Solo Mio), "Love Me Tender" (Aura Lee). I wonder how copyright works in these cases. As for Dvorjak, he passed away in 1904, and I think that songs are copyrighted for 75 years after the last songwriter's death. I'm not sure if extensions can be filed or not after that period of time. Anyone more familiar with music law out there?

Ajetpackoperation
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Ajetpackoperation » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:39 pm

Classical composers have been taking main themes from other composers and doing variations on them for centruries. And this was before - long before IP lawyers roamed the land in ravenous packs.

Penz2nz
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Penz2nz » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:23 pm

Dan Fogelberg: "Same Old Lang Syne" intro was based on the 1812 Overture.
Wayne R Brown

"Don't let it end like this, tell them I said something." The dying words of Poncho Villa

http://www.taxi.com/penz2nz
http://www.myspace.com/waynerbrownandfriends

beachbum88

Post by beachbum88 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:10 am

Phil Collin's "Groovy Kind of Love" was taken note-by-note from Clementi's Sonatina Opus 36, No. 5 Rondo (written in the late 1700s)!