Classical return

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jazznjesus

Classical return

Post by jazznjesus » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:08 pm

Hi All, I'm a bit confused on a recent return. It's regarding my brass ensemble arrangement of the first movement of Mozart's 40 g minor symphony. The reviewer wanted a more emotive performance and that it felt stiff and mechanical. It went on to state it needs more flow and human feel in the performance. Finally, it checked instrumentation feels stiff or over-quantized.
Did the screener think this was performed using MIDI? The only MIDI is the tuba.
https://soundcloud.com/jill-deweese/moz ... -1_2master

Here is the listing:
Several INSTRUMENTAL COVERS of CLASSICAL-Era PUBLIC DOMAIN PIECES are needed by a Music Licensing Company that specializes in music for content creators, as well as TV shows and Film projects!

They’re looking for Instrumental Covers in All Tempos that would fall within the general stylistic wheelhouse of the following references:

“Serenade in G Major, K. 525, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik: I. Allegro" by Mozart

"Moonlight Sonata" by Beethoven

“Symphony No. 45 in F# minor - Farewell” by Haydn

NOTE: They’re looking for the most well-known classical pieces from this era. The more familiar the compositions, the better, as long as they're Public Domain!

Please send recently recorded Instrumental Covers of well-known pieces from the Classical Period. Your productions can range from solo piano pieces to full-blown Orchestral performances, and anything in-between. Be sure your submissions sound like the real deal, and are well-played and articulated. You’d be wise to stick to the original melodies and arrangements, so your pieces are easily recognizable.

TAXI Tip: When using virtual plugins, please make sure they sound convincing and realistic! Anything stiff or MIDI-driven (or overly quantized) won’t work for this request.

Although some of the references may be a bit longer than others, please focus your efforts on the most instantly recognizable parts of the composition. The client will NOT accept 10-to-15-minute-long pieces! Get right to the good bits, and be sure to limit your running time to about 3 or 4 minutes in length (give or take).

Here’s a link with a List of Classical Period composers for your consideration. Please double-check to make sure the Instrumental Covers you submit are truly in the Public Domain and from the Classical Era (approximately 1730 - 1820). List of Classical-Era Composers.

Broadcast quality is needed.
Time is not just a magazine.
Keep swing'

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Classical return

Post by funsongs » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:29 pm

Hi Jill. Not at all my wheelhouse, but - as an interested lurker/listener - my ears kinda got 'hung up' on the choppy & bright feel and sound of the track.
Given - it's horns - so they're gonna sound like horns sound (unless you're playing primary a muted French horn kind of sound).
AND - I haven't listened to, and not familiar with, a full orchestra rendition of this, and how it might compare.
ALL THAT - maybe it's the lack of 'smoothness' in the overall sound - it made me think of a March tune - but, maybe that's how it is supposed to be played.
I don't know how you would make it feel more "flowing", if it's not supposed to have that quality to it.
Rambling - hope that helps some.
Peter
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:32 pm

Yeah, weird. Almost like the screener was listening to something else. The track sounds plenty 'real' to me.

Maybe microphone placement is an issue? that wouldn't fully explain the comments though.
edit: I see others have mentioned the sound quality.

jazznjesus

Post by jazznjesus » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:53 pm

I appreciate all of the feedback!
Time is not just a magazine.
Keep swing'

SubRivers
Impressive
Impressive

Post by SubRivers » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:18 pm

I like it as well - think the screener was expecting classical concert hall renditions rather than a brass band on the village green version.

Sounds the kind of piece that could end up as source music in a show - e.g. any scene where a brass band is playing off camera