We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ElMiguel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

CLASSICAL STRING QUARTET - Feedback, if you'd be so kind

Post by ElMiguel » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:44 pm

Hello,

Would surely appreciate some feedback on why this : https://soundcloud.com/michael-keihl/serenade
could or could not work for the listing S160922SQ. Constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated. :)

Listing:

S160922SQ

ORIGINAL, CLASSICAL STRING QUARTET INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a really large media company for placements in several projects, including hit cable TV shows, other shows on their own network, and online media. This rapidly growing industry giant is building its own Exclusive, In-House Music Library and will pay an initial buyout fee of $250 for 100% of the Publisher's share and Master rights. On top of the per song fee, you will also get 100% of the Writer's share of the publishing and make applicable performance income. Please submit Original, Down-to-Mid-Tempo Instrumentals that sound virtually indistinguishable from a real string quartet. Any material that sounds stiff or "synthy" won't work for this pitch. All submissions should be at least 2:00 minutes in length, with good edit points and Non-Faded/Buttoned endings. Broadcast Quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine). This Library offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so the music you submit for this pitch CANNOT be signed with any other publishers or catalogs. Please submit 1-3 Instrumentals Online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than 11:59PM (PDT), on Thursday, September 22nd, 2016. TAXI #S160922SQ

Joseph
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: CLASSICAL STRING QUARTET - Feedback, if you'd be so kind

Post by Joseph » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:17 am

It's a great piece! I think it sounds a bit dry, though. Some of the long notes sound a bit static; I would recommend adjusting the expression on those a bit more. Also, try adding some rubato. I set a metronome on and it seemed to line up with the beats for the entire piece.

-Joseph

karafinman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by karafinman » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:17 am

Exceptionally good for your first classical piece. A little "stiff" in my opinion and some of the composition approach is not on the money for classical. For example when you double the c b c c# d in the bass.

daveydad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by daveydad » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:36 am

Very nice! I'm no classical expert but my first thought was it felt more like a folk/country jig than true classical. I agree about the dryness and also think you could trim it down to two minutes to capture the screener's attention better. My .02

IComposer

Post by IComposer » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:09 am

IMO - Find the first good edit point past 1:00 and cut it down to that (i.e., lose the front-end jig, use it in something else because it's good; but not for this listing).
There is no such thing as a stupid question!
Youtube Phil Falcone

Onaginoffegin
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Onaginoffegin » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:29 pm

I agree with David. The first part especially sounded more bluegrass than classical.

Henry

ElMiguel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by ElMiguel » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:23 am

Thanks, I'm changing the intro for this listing as we speak to get something more classical sounding. The dryness might be from the EQ that's on the Master bus, other than that I've turned on the wetness and dryness knobs in the reverb to address the issue. Probably that will make it less dry, but if you know some other ways to fix the dryness, then let me know.

Many thanks for the feedback and nice words, it helps a lot!

Cheers, Michael

ElMiguel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by ElMiguel » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:35 pm

Your feedback sure inspired some changes in the song :)

https://soundcloud.com/michael-keihl/serenade

Many thanks for the constructive criticism!

IComposer

Post by IComposer » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:48 am

Glad the critique helped. Good luck.
There is no such thing as a stupid question!
Youtube Phil Falcone