co-write with non-taxi member

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mophilly

co-write with non-taxi member

Post by mophilly » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:23 am

A good writer and I have a tune I think is worth producing for submission to TAXI. What is the policy for co-writes where one is a member and the other is not?

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: co-write with non-taxi member

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:16 am

mophilly wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:23 am
A good writer and I have a tune I think is worth producing for submission to TAXI. What is the policy for co-writes where one is a member and the other is not?
It's no problem to submit, just be sure that if it gets a forward and a Library comes a knockin' that your co-writer is fully on board. To sign a Library deal they need to be :-

1. Registered with a PRO

2. Understand and be willing to sign contract

3. Be ok with with deal points which may include signing an exclusive deal in perpituity for zero up front

4. Be under no illusion that one song is a drop in the ocean and you would normally need many songs signed to have a chance of getting a placement.

Often you find that co-writers outside this side of the biz don't get it and drag their feet or turn down standard deals because they don't understand them. So whilst it's no issue to submit , it's the stuff that happens afterwards that you to be sure about with non-taxi co-writers.

Mark

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:11 pm

mophilly wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:23 am
As long as one writer is a member, you can submit. And everything that's been said ^^^^^^

mophilly

Post by mophilly » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:45 am

Thank you all for the responses and the checklist. I will make sure we are on solid ground before moving forward.