Comments on FREE TO FLY

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hoknes
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Comments on FREE TO FLY

Post by hoknes » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:10 am

This is my first critique and I think I agree with what the reviewer said but wanted to see what others think. What can I do to this song to give it what he wants? How can I make it better? Is he right? The song is called FREE TO FLYREVIEW:As I listen again, I'm wondering if it might not take just a bit too long to get to CH1? Or maybe it's the melodic combination leading up to it? Not sure, to be perfectly honest; I just know that it was kinda hard to stay interested. Perhaps another reason might be due to the instr. perfs./parts that are counterpoints to the melodies. They've got good movement for the most part, but maybe a bit more variation could add interest here, e.g. Status: Forward Return altho maybe more of a demo than the master quality you'd need to pitch 'as is' for film/TV placements, in my experienceOverall CommentsTerry, I wanted to add here that, in general, I rather like this : ) It does kind of grow on me after awhile ... again, trying to figure out why you almost lose me in the first half of the song. I do feel that your basic melodies might be just fine, but perhaps how you put them together is the bigger question. Not sure, but I do know that for this particular listing this is prob closer to a solid demo track than the master quality they'd need to place 'as is' in a film (yes, even for an indy film : ) It's not far off the mark tho ... it does have a bit of a quirky pop vibe, a la The 88.The main reason(s) you were or were not forwarded for this listing is:While there is a somewhat quirky pop vibe here, a la The 88, I don't feel the track's quality is quite at the level necessary to pitch 'as is' for film/TV scenes. Plus, there's something about the melodies or arrangement that almost makes me lose interest during the first half of the song; however, I'm happy to note that the 2nd half is much more engaging.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Comments on FREE TO FLY

Post by hummingbird » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:23 am

Hoknes, can you please post the lyrics & a link to the song? It's hard for us to help without hearing the piece
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

jonathanm
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonathanm » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:19 am

Apr 14, 2008, 2:23pm, hummingbird wrote:Hoknes, can you please post the lyrics & a link to the song? It's hard for us to help without hearing the piece I loved it! Reminded me of John Cage's "4:33", but more marketable because you cut it down to radio length. Brilliant!
"Everyone always misquotes me." - Frederick Q. Larson

aimusic
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aimusic » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:44 am

Yeah 4:33 it most certainly is... pure brilliance if I must say so myself. I loved how the ambience of the world around me added to the track...

hoknes
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by hoknes » Sun May 18, 2008 6:19 pm

FREE TO FLYTime to jump right inWant to take that chanceLook what I’ve becomeLike I’m in a tranceTake a leap of faithOff the beaten pathAnother step forwardThere’s no turning backThis heart’s in a raceStraight up to the starsNo matter where you areSoul starts floatingHead’s in a cloudWorld is spinningNow I’ve found I’m …CHFREE TO FLYI’m flying highSo FREE TO FLYCome touch the skyJust you and meIt’s a state of mindFeeling what we foundStill riding highFeet on the groundSpread your friendly wingsWhere we beganThen venture outLive the master planThese hearts in a raceStraight up to the starsNo matter where we areSouls start floatingHeads in the cloudsWorld is spinningSpin around meCHThese hearts in a raceStraight up to the starsNo matter where we areSouls start floatingHeads in the cloudsWorld is spinningYou surround me …CHCH

hoknes
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by hoknes » Sun May 18, 2008 6:21 pm

http://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home.p ... d=15012The song is FREE TO FLYI appreciate the kind wordsI would like to see what anyone recommends could be done to the recording to make it better I thought this song truly had a chance - we spent a lot of time on it !