Computer shopping

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Computer shopping

Post by elser » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:25 pm

Darn it all, my trusty 2009 Mac Pro has gone to Mac heaven. Any recommendations for a replacement? Something used but obviously much newer. I have a UAD card I'd like to continue using if possible and 4 drive bays full of samples, audio files and software. I'm not much interested in a laptop otherwise I'm pretty open. Would like to keep it under $2000.

Tanks

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Re: Computer shopping

Post by andygabrys » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:48 pm

If you can't repair yours and you are using Logic and don't want to switch DAWs.......

I would look for a 2012 Mac Pro 5,1 on eBay or similar. Since you bought yours the prices have continued to drop.

If you could extend your budget, I would look at a current Mac mini and get a Sonnet or OWC thunderbolt expansion chassis for the UAD card, or sell the UAD card and buy a Thunderbolt UAD accelerator. Or an interface if you can afford it on top and it gives you enough UAD chip power to run your current mixes.

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by elser » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:59 pm

Thanks Andy, You’re helpful as always. I’ve been researching throughout the afternoon and came up with this deal I posted over on LogicProHelp.

I know this topic comes up often but technology changes so fast I’d like to hear the latest thinking
My 2009 12 core Mac Pro just took a dump so I’m shopping for the first time in a while. A new Mac Pro is out of the question and I think unnecessary. I’m looking at a 2018 Mac Mini with a 1tb ssd drive, 32GBs of ram, gigabit Ethernet for about $2000. Oh, Intel i7 6 core, 3.2 ghz. Of course I know I’ll have to upgrade some of my periferals. Just wondering if this seems like a good deal and is there anything i’m forgetting. I also plan to pay for an Applcare plan. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:17 pm

if you can get one for that its likely the price performer at this point.

tonedimension
Active
Active

Post by tonedimension » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:33 pm

You know, I've been marking the days for my trusty 2010-2012 cheese grater so the Mac Mini is something I've been looking at pretty seriously, especially since the Mac Pro announcement. My system is starting to show it's age when I hit it with VI's like Omnisphere. For tracking audio, it's still a champ and zero problems. I've got a very similar setup (i.e. UAD card, all internal bays with sample libraries and audio). I use Logic and Pro Tools although I've got a copy of Cubase on loan as I considered returning to the PC/Windows world for a nano second. I've been making music on the Mac for 20 years or so and can't bring myself to go back.

Anyway, I've spoken with some folks I know that placed a 2018 Mac Mini (Core i7, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD) in their studios and it seems to be working really well for them . My only complaint is the peripheral acquisitions I will need to complete in order to move everything. I'd have to do that anyway unless I bought into the new Mac Pro (more on that below). Also, buying another 2010-2012 cheese grater just seemed like a waste of money for me.

Regarding the new Mac Pro, I agree that it's out of the question and unnecessary. Unreal. It's a great machine but complete and total overkill for what we do I think. One more thing, there is always the Hackintosh. I know that can raise hackles with some but it's out there as a consideration. My biggest concern with that one is long term stability and support. I need a machine that works every day. Day in and day out. My Mac Pro has been that for many years now, as were it's predecessors.

My opinions. Sorry to hear about the demise of your Mac but I think a mini will probably perform much batter, as sad as that sounds. Best of luck and please let us know what you do.
Bryan...

"Record like there is no mixing and mix like there is no mastering."

https://www.bryannicholas.com
https://soundcloud.com/tonedimension

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by elser » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:57 pm

Yeah my system just took a total crap. I blame High Sierra. I was on the phone for 2 days with Apple and they finally gave up.I have a good feeling about the mini though. They have a few of them on eBay and you can configure it how you want it.

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by elser » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:58 pm

Hey how come my avatar is all fuzzy? I haven’t been on here in about a year.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:10 pm

Over the new year I treated myself to a TAXI membership; new here, learning a lot from these discussions!
This month I also upgraded the RAM in my Mac Pro 1,1 (that's right, 2006!) from 4GB to 16GB so I could start playing with orchestral samples. Although I fear the day that this box stops working, the real teeth-gnasher for me is the OS cap at 10.7.5 which keeps much newer software, plugins, etc., out of my reach.
I know I will need to upgrade at some point, and so will follow this thread with interest. But until I have to, my old Mac (old enough to take driving lessons) still keeps up with my demands.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:22 pm

andygabrys wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:48 pm
I would look for a 2012 Mac Pro 5,1 on eBay or similar. Since you bought yours the prices have continued to drop.
2012 ! I've thrown away newer computers...the only Apple product that ages well is Cider..trust me 8-)

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:27 pm

tonedimension wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:33 pm
You know, I've been marking the days for my trusty 2010-2012 cheese grater so the Mac Mini is something I've been looking at pretty seriously, especially since the Mac Pro announcement. My system is starting to show it's age when I hit it with VI's like Omnisphere. For tracking audio, it's still a champ and zero problems. I've got a very similar setup (i.e. UAD card, all internal bays with sample libraries and audio). I use Logic and Pro Tools although I've got a copy of Cubase on loan as I considered returning to the PC/Windows world for a nano second. I've been making music on the Mac for 20 years or so and can't bring myself to go back.
I'm happy with the speed of my late 2009 mac pro running the os and some samples off 2 ssd cards on one of these.

https://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempossd.html

Edit: It is a 4.1 machine and would need a firmware flash and some new processors to run the latest version of osx but it has been very stable [touch wood] and enables me to stay in the mac environment where I would much rather be. :D