Concern about purchasing Logic X

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

voyager

Concern about purchasing Logic X

Post by voyager » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:18 pm

Hello everyone. I've pretty much mastered Garageband and want to graduate to Logic X, but the many negative feedbacks posted in the Apple Store are making me hesitate. I suspect that the majority of these negative feedbacks are due to inadequate computers, and/or users' impatience with learning the intricacies of Logic X. Many of these feedbacks are from users who claim they didn't have problems with earlier Logic versions. I have a MAC OS X Yosemite version 10.10.5, so I think i'm okay to take the plunge. Any opinions would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance, Ron.

NaeDae
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Concern about purchasing Logic X

Post by NaeDae » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:16 pm

I JUST got it too. Not sure how bad stuff gets, but it's been doing its job at least as good as garageband so far. Plus it's got tons of instruments I've been struggling to imitate in garageband.

But the problems I've read had to do with features I've not used yet.

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:19 pm

don't be afraid. Any DAW has a learning curve, and Logic has quirks, but no more than Pro Tools or any other one.

Full speed ahead. There are always haters.

voyager

Post by voyager » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:54 pm

Thanks Naedae and Andy for your responses. Can't wait to download Logic X.

Sunset
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Sunset » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:05 am

Ron,

agree with Andy, I have and use Logic X (latest version now) and write in several genres- it's a workhorse..plus there are TONS of vid tutorials form You Tube and other sites that can get you up and running. It's become an old friend now. and use it with OS X 10.11.3 with no issues..

BTW i also use 2 other DAW's for other projects,but Logic is wonderful all around choice with great loops, and other features..

Go for it!

John

sansharbour
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by sansharbour » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:44 pm

Logic Pro X is a great DAW
It's like the bigger wiser brother of Garage Band
I really like it
Apple is very generous in giving out lots of great sounds etc

Im sure once you get used to it you will really enjoy it

Don

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonnybutter » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:02 pm

Logic is an incredible value. It has many single features which are practically worth the cost of the whole application. For example, Alchemy is amazing - I'm pretty sure I paid more than $199 for the stand alone Alchemy several years ago. Alchemy is free (and improved) with LPX. All of the drum resources, same deal - amazing. Not to mention the other instruments; the loops; the outstanding reverb, the excellent compressors; etc etc etc

I sometimes complain about LPX because it does have bugs and erratic behavior, and I've had bad experiences because of them; quite often, a new feature will be introduced instead of a bug fixed. Or a new feature will be introduced which won't work quite right at first (e.g. channel strip patches). But Andy is of course correct to say that all DAWs have their issues. What I think matters is whether you're comfortable with LPX after you get to know it. If you aren't 100% comfortable, it's not like you really can lose, considering all the features it has at that price. A lot of us use more than one DAW.

In your original post you hit on something more important than anything, IMO: training. Get some if you're going to use LPX. You will probably need it, and it will save you time and frustration. LPX is quite deep, and sometimes has its own quirky way of doing things. But it will do just about anything audio production-related you can think of, including create notation parts! The fact that it's only $199 for the whole thing is pretty astonishing.

TimWalter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by TimWalter » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:19 pm

Well, from what Ive been able to glean, its probably only second to ProTools in use in high end pro studios. (except in maybe specific urban genres).

When I spent a month at Cre8 Academy (connected to Westllake Studios in Hollywood) earlier this year, the co owner AL Machera assured us that, in spite of its puny price ($200 at last look), Logic is a pro level powerhouse that they use on par with ProTools. They use both DAWS and use them for specific parts of the process. Al should know.. Westlake is one of the top studios around. For one, Rihanna records all her records there, The Weeknd recorded his breakout album there, Michael Jackson recorded most of this big records there. So, in my mind, I would listen to industry pros over anonymous complainers on a forum.

As a bonus for you, I think you'll find going from garageband to logic a easier leap with slightly lower learning curve than going to say another daw made by a different company. Apple is Apple, and they seem to have a culture that allows one to see the common threads in all their work.

All the best to you .

Tim
Tim Wolf
Nashville

"Nashville-based Romantic Rebel singer-songwriter making alternative songs for those who need a second chance"

www.thetimwolf.com

TimWalter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by TimWalter » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:21 pm

just realized I posted on a months old thread... lol.. oh welll
Tim Wolf
Nashville

"Nashville-based Romantic Rebel singer-songwriter making alternative songs for those who need a second chance"

www.thetimwolf.com