Confused about this review

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Confused about this review

Post by horacejesse » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:35 am

This reviewer thinks Coheed and Cambria are musically complex. My twelve year old guitar students always want this group.

franz
Active
Active

Post by franz » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:38 am

Just wanted to add since this came up in another thread.From the review:Quote:I don't THINK this title is in the song ... I didn't hear it on the first listen & am double checking the lyric sheet now; oh, there it is once ... with such an unusual structure it might better serve the song to have a title that's actually referenced in it more clearly, & ideally, in a strategic placeI am not using "Tomorrow now" in the lyric at all!!! How does the reviewer read it in the lyric sheet???Tomorrow Now2006 Franz Pusch, Franzounds MusicI travel through time on my way to youI can already feel your love againI travel through time to see you againi can already feel your touch againI can already feel your loveI travel through time om my way to youI can already hear your voice againLove me todayLove me todayThe future is nowLove me todayla la la laI travel through time on my way to youI can already feel your love againI travel into the futurei can already see your eyes againI can already feel your touchShow me the futureMove me through timeSpeed up my clockLike Albert EinsteinLet’s cross another line

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:16 am

Quote:Just wanted to add since this came up in another thread.From the review:Quote:I don't THINK this title is in the song ... I didn't hear it on the first listen & am double checking the lyric sheet now; oh, there it is once ... with such an unusual structure it might better serve the song to have a title that's actually referenced in it more clearly, & ideally, in a strategic placeI am not using "Tomorrow now" in the lyric at all!!! How does the reviewer read it in the lyric sheet???Tomorrow Now2006 Franz Pusch, Franzounds MusicI travel through time on my way to youI can already feel your love againI travel through time to see you againi can already feel your touch againI can already feel your loveI travel through time om my way to youI can already hear your voice againLove me todayLove me todayThe future is nowLove me todayla la la laI travel through time on my way to youI can already feel your love againI travel into the futurei can already see your eyes againI can already feel your touchShow me the futureMove me through timeSpeed up my clockLike Albert EinsteinLet’s cross another line OK, the reviewer goofed when he at first said he didn't hear the title in the song and then said, "oh there it is"... Maybe when he glanced back he saw the title above the lyrics and mistook it. Yes, that was a goof. BUT the point of his comment is no less valid. The title doesn't appear in the lyric and isn't even close to any of the words. On read, one would think the title was, "I Travel".Now, why does this matter? You probably hear songs on the radio that have obscure titles ("Iris" by Goo-Goo Dolls, for example) and if you are an old Led Zep fan, well... anything goes there... This is where that double standard comes in. An established artist has the freedom to do this. Unknown songwriters, and absolutely non-performing songwriters do not have that luxury.. We have to play it much closer to the "rules". And also, 98% of the time, writing a hit song means writing a chorus with key words that are both in the title and stick in your head. Yes, there are exceptions, that's why I said 98%... Casey

franz
Active
Active

Post by franz » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:16 am

Yeah, I should have never been a Genesis fan in the 1970s totally screwed up my musical taste...:)

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by anne » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:23 am

Hey Franz - I could see the Pink Floyd ref. only in that you have very echoey vocals. But for the frequency they mentioned Pick Floyd in the critique I was expecting it to be the overall sound - I can see the confusion. The song itself is good, and I agree that the "la la" section may not work well for film/tv library listings as it is a huge break from the rest of the song, but I thik it is an interesting idea as a break, just maybe not in this song or as long as it is. Gotta tell you though, this song overall has a big big sound to it that is dying to break out. Tighten it up a bit where the break is, work on the vocals a bit more, and you'd have a GREAT sounding track to pitch that could be easily placed down the road!Keep up the good work - Anne

kouly
Impressive
Impressive

Post by kouly » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:18 pm

Quote:Thanks for the posts!I have been compared to a lot of singers but Roger Waters is one of the biggest yet. I realize that this tune is not library material which I also take as a compliment. Maybe Michael Laskow can get me in touch with Pink Floyd to get my tune on their next album...... I think it has potential, but not with Pink Floyd as they no longer exist as a group.David Gilmore put the final nail in that coffin a while back.