confusion: ascap title registration

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hazineju
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

confusion: ascap title registration

Post by hazineju » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:48 pm

sorry y'all another kinda dumb question from me about ascap. ok so i'm registering some works as a publisher (hooray, at least i got my publishing company! ). now what i'm confused about is the PERFORMER box in the title reg. under the recorded work section. yes the work has been recorded. now do they mean they want:A) a list of all the people performing on the recorded work (ie guitar player, bass, etc)? or B) a list of performers who have recorded the work? i'm thinking it must be choice A but just want to double check with my knowledgeable forum friends.

suzdoyle
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: confusion: ascap title registration

Post by suzdoyle » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:55 pm

Hey Hazineju;Congrats on registering your work under your publishing company. As far as I understand it, the performer name is the main one who (first) recorded the song. (E.g. a Beatles song would list the Beatles as the performer, even though lots of people may do covers of it). And they also ask for the name of the album and the release date.Hope this helps.Suz

claire
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by claire » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:03 pm

I think it's the list of artists who have performed the song. If you do a title search on a song you'll see the artists who have performed the song listed.

hazineju
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by hazineju » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:55 pm

Glad i asked!!! thank you Suz and Claire, your responses are very helpful and i appreciate the speediness too! you rock!

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by deantaylor » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:48 am

hmmmm? I always put the vocalist's name who performs the version that I am registering, i don't put the musicians names, but .... maybe I am wrong. I've only registered my own co-written original songs with vocals .... no covers.I used ACE SEARCH on ascap.com to see how some other taxi members did this. It seems they did it like me. Only one performer was listed .. if the track had vocals, it was the singer of that track .. if the track was instrumental, it was the producer (not sure if this person performed every instrument or not)