considering joining taxi but unsure of quality of recordings

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

wolfywolf

considering joining taxi but unsure of quality of recordings

Post by wolfywolf » Fri May 08, 2020 12:17 pm

hello!

i've been looking into joining taxi for a while, but due to my current recording skills/set up, am unsure of whether it's the right step for me. i was hoping i could post my songs and maybe you guys could give me feedback on them, as to whether they are anywhere near what broadcast quality means. if my recordings are not up to par, what advice do you have? also, i am using logic to record.

many thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/user-473950687

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: considering joining taxi but unsure of quality of recordings

Post by lesmac » Fri May 08, 2020 5:40 pm

You have a good voice and you write good songs. Great start!

It sounds like you need to focus for a while on mixing techniques. You have the same processing on nearly all of your tracks. The bass is overpowering also. You need to watch youtube videos on the basics of mixing.

I'll let you in on a secret...It's all about copying what other folks do. It's how we learn. Think of why you learned to play an instrument? You were inspired by someone; you learned their song/riffs/chords/tone/whatever.

Yes we all have our own originality but we are standing on the shoulders of giants. Everyone from here on the forum to mixing pros listens to other peoples tracks and analyses them and then emulates or uses the same techniques. Look for videos on the breakdown of a mix. Listen to a song you like and note what comes in and out through the timeline of the song. Critical listening involves noting what instruments are used; when they come in; their sound/texture/EQ/; heaps of stuff really that my poor head can't think of at the moment.
Writing to TAXI listings involves all of that. You could sharpen your skills a little before joining, that's up to you.
Here are some channels I find useful:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MusicTechHelpGuy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpyUGZ ... 57UACw3H2g
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpyUGZ ... 57UACw3H2g

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Fri May 08, 2020 7:16 pm

wolfywolf wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:17 pm
hello!

i've been looking into joining taxi for a while, but due to my current recording skills/set up, am unsure of whether it's the right step for me. i was hoping i could post my songs and maybe you guys could give me feedback on them, as to whether they are anywhere near what broadcast quality means. if my recordings are not up to par, what advice do you have? also, i am using logic to record.

many thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/user-473950687
Hi,
You have Logic so that's a good start, I second the comment above..learn how to mix, lots of great videos by Musictechhelpguy (link below) and if I may add one more thing, Logic has great plugins so maybe play around with different sounds for the guitar, drums and e.t.c and then later on dive into the Mastering if you like.

Make sure you watch the show this Monday May 11th with Steve as a guest..people record with minimal set ups but it is learning to get a good sound for the final result.

Have fun and good luck.

https://youtu.be/pdUXHZU8dSs

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Thu May 28, 2020 1:34 pm

Hi Alex,

Logic is a great DAW.

You have a very nice voice. Very relaxing. Good songs.

with mixing it takes time to develop the ears but definitely listening to other professional tracks and try to keep getting mixes closer to those.

Also youtube has a ton of tutorials. I spend most of my time watching youtube tutorials. Theres always something I can learn on there. Always answers I need to get mixes better.

Also join taxi and submit the screeners provide extremely valuable feedback. Spent 3 years submitting. It was like I went to music school. Taxi is the best. Just join! :)

Good luck! You are on your way.
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu May 28, 2020 4:10 pm

The best way to learn is by just doing it ( says the guy who waited 6 years to sign up )

Had a listen to your tracks and yeah I think you got something going on. Personally not a fan of the vocal treatment you have used I think too much of the part of the voice that we connect with on an emotional level has been excised but it sounds like an artistic choice as much as a technical one. The music is there to support the emotion of the scene so vague wispy kinda vocals can only take you so far IMHO.

But the fastest way to learn is by joining and submitting.

Mark

wolfywolf

Post by wolfywolf » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:20 pm

hi, thanks for all the replies - just an update - I took the above advice and went ahead and joined taxi. I already submitted my music to a few listings and am looking forward to any feedback i receive so i can get better at what i do. i'm also glad you all liked my songs :)