We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Robertj64
Impressive
Impressive

Contemporary Enough?

Post by Robertj64 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:13 am

Hey Cabbies!

I have been studying the contemporary song models and have been changing around things to rethink how I produce. Watching Taxi Tv, I realized just how outdated some of my recording techniques are and I have an upgraded studio. I have slowly been picking apart some of my habits like how I record and stack vocals.

This song is going to go into the listing for "A Wide Range of CURRENT-Sounding SONGS with Lyrics about "Relationships" is needed by a successful Music Licensing Company that’s presenting music directly to a TV Series." So the question is....is this song attached considered "current?' If not, what needs to be done to make it so?

Anyhow, my aim here is to get constructive criticism and ideas on how to improve. Praise is nice too though that's not my primary goal. I think I am getting better at the arrangements but I think I need to study vocal techniques more. A work in progress. I look forward to your feedback and points. I am always grateful!

Thanks
Robert

https://soundcloud.com/vocalsky/friends-remix

JohnDroese
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Contemporary Enough?

Post by JohnDroese » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:36 pm

Hi Robert Cool Track! my two cents
1. Need vocal tuning get Melodyne or nectar from izotope.... It will be the best money you spend..... was told at last years Road Rally by a big time library owner all tracks and I mean all are tuned these days so we all have to get on that band wagon if we want to be taken seriously
2. Melody in chorus is dated those long sustained repetitive notes are out of style.... short notes more space
3. melody is to repetitive after the first two lines of the chorus go somewhere els melodically peoples attention spans are non existent these days and they won't hang around for a repetitive melody
4. best advice I can give take They Jonas Brothers Track Only Human throw it in your DAW and structure this song to that track it kind of has the same vibe to me musically

Remember we are all learning every day in this business and sounds, styles and trends are constantly evolving if we are not running to keep up we are being left behind
You got the skills...... now catch up

Best of luck
John

Robertj64
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Robertj64 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:53 pm

JohnDroese wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:36 pm
Hi Robert Cool Track! my two cents
1. Need vocal tuning get Melodyne or nectar from izotope.... It will be the best money you spend..... was told at last years Road Rally by a big time library owner all tracks and I mean all are tuned these days so we all have to get on that band wagon if we want to be taken seriously
2. Melody in chorus is dated those long sustained repetitive notes are out of style.... short notes more space
3. melody is to repetitive after the first two lines of the chorus go somewhere els melodically peoples attention spans are non existent these days and they won't hang around for a repetitive melody
4. best advice I can give take They Jonas Brothers Track Only Human throw it in your DAW and structure this song to that track it kind of has the same vibe to me musically

Remember we are all learning every day in this business and sounds, styles and trends are constantly evolving if we are not running to keep up we are being left behind
You got the skills...... now catch up

Best of luck
John
Hey John,
Thanks for the feedback. I think you may be right on 2-4. I have listened to Jonas Brothers Only Human....great song. Where are the vocals out of tune? I have a pitch correction software and I used it. Can you let me know where they are off? Points taken on the melody....I will have to see what I can do with it. I appreciate the comments and the catch up has begun.

JohnDroese
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by JohnDroese » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:39 pm

there are a few notes in the verses in particular..... what software are you using? I was using autotune and again that library owner told me have to use Melodyne it is a completely different animal if you haven't used it.... You load your vocal track into it and it shows every note kind of like on a graph to the key of the song when you click on the note is shows you how off in cents you are double click and it moves note on to key.... I would advise to watch some vids on it. A lot of guys tune with Melodyne then run it through there tuning software like autotune or flextime in Logic Pro..... you will see a night and day difference

JohnDroese
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by JohnDroese » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:42 pm

It was the best advice I got took my tracks to the next level.... actually signed two tracks to libraries.....

Robertj64
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Robertj64 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:03 pm

JohnDroese wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:42 pm
It was the best advice I got took my tracks to the next level.... actually signed two tracks to libraries.....
Hey John

I shortened the notes and it really makes a difference! I am using Vari-Audio in Cubase. It is quite good. Thanks for the assistance. The improvement is very noticable already.

Robertj64
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Robertj64 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:14 pm

JohnDroese wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:42 pm
I fixed the verse vocal in one spot...it was kind of a semi-crack in the vocal. I left in because I was used to it. It is now out. Thanks again. I will post up the revised.

I appreciate the feedback! It is quite the learning curve.

JohnDroese
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by JohnDroese » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:26 pm

last tip use the Jonas Brothers Track like this https://youtu.be/h4djUXxIu2o

It will give you the best chance at a contemporary feel

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:55 pm

JohnDroese wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:26 pm
last tip use the Jonas Brothers Track like this https://youtu.be/h4djUXxIu2o
John this looks like a great video...I skimmed it and this is really similar to how I work with a reference track - I've been trying to explain to a few others around the forum but I think I'll just tell 'em to watch this. Thanks for sharing. They should make this as a sticky somewhere !

Robert - I think John covered it off pretty well..I hear the pitch issues too in the vocal and I hear some dated sound and playing styles .

Even in the very first second it manages to sound a bit fashioned with that vocal phrase. The synth bass sound is pretty cheesy too..and the intro is too long....and then when the vocal finally comes in and a is a bit off pitch with a very dated sounding drum pattern you've already lost me before I've reached 30 seconds.

I can't reiterate any better what John has posted in the video..Do that. You'll get much closer. And if you keep doing it you'll get closer each time.

Mark

JohnDroese
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by JohnDroese » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:44 pm

Hey Mark..... I don't know if you remember but a couple of months ago you gave one of my tracks some tuff love.... Told me intro was to long, and change up piano and that the guitars in the verses and chorus sounded like two different songs mood wise.... I took your advice and made the changes.... Taxi did not forward the track but guess what the track was signed to a library and now has a life out there to earn me some money.... So Thank you for that. I don't come on here to be told my stuff is great or to have people tell me wha I am doing right..... Trust me when I say the end game is not getting a forward from Taxi hell it's not even getting it signed to a library.... It's to get it placed, get it heard, and make me some money.....lol
I've seen some just ok songs get forwarded by Taxi, Some good songs get signed to libraries but it takes a great song to go all the way.... So let's keep sharpening the ax and winning!