Contract Reversion Clause

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cameron
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Contract Reversion Clause

Post by cameron » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:03 pm

I have received a contract from a song publisher with a reversion clause that reads:"If publisher fails to secure a commercial recording and release of composition or a sync license for TV, commercials or movies within two years all rights revert back to the writer If a commercial recording or license is obtained all rights to composition remain with publisher in accordance with existing copyright law."I think it's clear that even if they license the song to a local radio station for a $50 jingle that they own the publishing rights to the song forevermore. Is this pretty standard?Thanks,Cam

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Contract Reversion Clause

Post by Casey H » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:22 pm

Jan 25, 2009, 6:03pm, cameron wrote:I have received a contract from a song publisher with a reversion clause that reads:"If publisher fails to secure a commercial recording and release of composition or a sync license for TV, commercials or movies within two years all rights revert back to the writer If a commercial recording or license is obtained all rights to composition remain with publisher in accordance with existing copyright law."I think it's clear that even if they license the song to a local radio station for a $50 jingle that they own the publishing rights to the song forevermore. Is this pretty standard?Thanks,Cam Hi CamThe language is very standard but I had a few publishing contracts reviewed by an entertainment attorney and he always requested beefing up that clause with some qualifying language for placements such that a trivial placement would not give them the song forever. I can't give you exact words but they involved some or all of things like: minimum revenue, a major label, a label with national/international distribution, a movie or TV show with national/international distribution, etc... Any good entertainment attorney (you need to review this with one anyway) can guide you there... Any decent publisher worth dealing with should allow for some minor language edits to that regard.Good luck!!And Congrats!!! Casey

cameron
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Contract Reversion Clause

Post by cameron » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:00 pm

Thank you Casey.Camp.s. I'm not at home right now but will take a listen to your song as soon as I can get to some speakers/headphones.