Contract Seems Unfair - Thoughts?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

crashgates
Impressive
Impressive

Post by crashgates » Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:06 am

Last edited by crashgates on Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:32 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Contract Seems Unfair - Thoughts?

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:47 pm

crashgates wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:06 am
what's that saying about nothing is this world is fair

and I'm guess that's because it written for the library's benefit, and most contracts are bias in favour of whom-ever composed them

seems like that's how the system/game/scam (what ever you want to call it) works

Quotes. Gordon Gekko : “The point is ladies and gentlemen that greed, for lack of a better word, is good”
You can see it that way, or you could consider what a library does for their share of the proceeds. Also, don't forget that unless or until the music gets placed they earn nothing either, so they are taking a risk too.

BTW, all those people who post their placements here, plus many, many more of us, all have lots of contracts across lots of different libraries, largely with fairly similar terms. In fact every piece of music ever heard on TV has a contract behind it..... millions of them!! Many people make a living from the proceeds. So personally, I would not want to call it a "system/game/scam". If that's what you think it is then that's fine, but I have to wonder what you're hoping for from your Taxi membership. I hope you find it :).
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

crashgates
Impressive
Impressive

Post by crashgates » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:32 pm

Last edited by crashgates on Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:29 am

crashgates wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:32 pm
can mere mortals even realistically expect anything more then just pocket change or their own sole enjoyment of creating music?
For every Taylor Swift there's a million bar bands who'll get no further, and for every bar band there's a million bedroom artists who'll never escape their own four walls. In every walk of life its those with something to offer that are most likely go furthest (along with a strong dose of drive and luck), and that's the fairest of all deals. Why should anyone with 'mere mortal' ability 'expect' anything more than 'mere mortal' reward? That would be unfair. Sure, there will always be exceptions, but the best way to the top is to have something to offer that might get you there.

Sync is not for everyone, and its certainly not a 'get rich quick' scheme. Is it fair? Those earning a full-time income have worked out how to leverage their talents and offer what's needed to those who need it, so that seems fair (even after considering those pesky 'biassed' contracts ;) ). Personally, I'm more in the bar band category, with less talent to offer and I certainly don't work full time on it, so it would be unreasonable of me to 'expect' a full-time reward. I'm happy with that.

Taxi offers a great way to learn all about sync, and with all those videos and even these forums there's sufficient info freely available to get a pretty comprehensive understanding of the business (that we all should have). IMHO, if you already know about sync, already have studio chops, and can assemble some suitable music to the required standard, then you can take your chances in the outside world beyond Taxi and save the membership fee. However, if you're already jaded by 'how it really works' then it won't be much fun.

I wish you good luck on your journey, and hope you find what you're looking for.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

crashgates
Impressive
Impressive

Post by crashgates » Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:19 am

Last edited by crashgates on Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:01 am

Hey Crashgates
Yes, the overwhelming majority of Taxi listings and successes are in the sync world. So it that's not your interest, it's probably not the best for you. BTW, to place songs with artists for the charts, you'd have to sign contracts with publishers that have the same terms as these library contracts- 50% goes to the publisher. Yes, there will be that one person in millions that does it on his/her own with a viral video, but it's such an extreme rarity, I wouldn't expect it.

The reason Taxi focuses on the sync world is because that's where the opportunities for getting your music actually used are. If you want to be a songwriter who gets songs cut by Billboard artists, while it's not impossible, the path is extremely long (10-15 years) and arduous and few actually get there. I never would step on anyone's dreams but I'm a realist. And HOW badly do you want it? I remember Jason Blume talking about moving to Nashville, living on nothing but spaghetti for over 10 years, working his butt off, and then finally getting a cut. Not saying you need to do THAT, just an example of wanting it that badly.

I started with Taxi in the early 2000s, completely convinced that some artist would love my great(ha!) songs and want to record them. It was a rude awakening. But I did learn quickly that my so called great songs, were not even close to great. I also quickly learned that in many genres, artists write their own, so I was barking up a dead tree. And publishers only wanted songs that were "walk on water" perfect-- every word, every line, every rhyme, MEGA KILLER hook, etc. That wasn't for me. Fortunately, at that time, music for sync was becoming more and more of a thing with music libraries, etc. I switched gears. It still took a very long time but now I have video clips of my songs being used on TV shows like The Young and the Restless. For me, knowing that a song went from my head to the TV was all I needed. But that is ME.

Be true to yourself. Go after whatever your dream is. But also do an occasional reality check. I wish you nothing but the best.

:D Casey

crashgates
Impressive
Impressive

Post by crashgates » Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:18 pm

Last edited by crashgates on Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:33 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:35 pm

crashgates wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:18 pm
Does your Holiness have any better ideas to get there a bit quicker :?:
No but don't call me that again. :!:

crashgates
Impressive
Impressive

Post by crashgates » Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:48 pm

Last edited by crashgates on Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:33 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:37 pm

I am not a great man by any means. And the "King of the World" thing refers to my forum participation which can also be interpreted as me having no life. :lol: I've been on the forum since the beginning and post a lot. That's all.

I have a lot of experience and a nice number of placements. But I'm always honest that I don't make a lot of money at it. I hire out a lot for productions so I just about break even with the royalties. And my royalties are WAAAY less than you'd imagine. For me, it's about the joy of hearing my music on TV. That, to ME, is success. I have a full time job as a software engineer and music is a side thing, a passion.

There are a number of us that enjoy "paying it forward", helping others, remembering how others helped us a lot the way. You'll see that from a number of folks here-- cosmicdolphin, telefunkin, mojobone, and others.
I mean 15 years, come on, there has to be a better way to reach Billboard
Well if you find one, please let me know. And even putting in the time and effort, most never get there. It's like many things in the entertainment world. For every Jennifer Aniston who lands that role on "Friends" there are thousands who never get beyond waiting tables.

Best,
Casey
crashgates wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:48 pm
Casey H wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:35 pm
don't call me that :!:
Oh-pps sorry Casey didn't mean to hurt your feelings Yes you are a great man of course you got 20 yrs of experience on me, I thought your new title from king of the world to Your " " was worthy of thy's deeds:?

or did someone at your place fall out of bed this morning

Or should I be going to a different church this morning,

You know maybe like the one over on Oliver Street :?:

Seriously how much would it cost you to try something different?

I mean 15 years, come on, there has to be a better way to reach Billboard