Contract Seems Unfair - Thoughts?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

crashgates
Impressive
Impressive

Post by crashgates » Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:14 pm

Last edited by crashgates on Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: feedback appreciated

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:47 pm

crashgates wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:13 pm
So I was wondering would this track stack up
Like a jenga tower with most of the bottom pieces missing

crashgates
Impressive
Impressive

Post by crashgates » Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:50 pm

Last edited by crashgates on Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Contract Seems Unfair - Thoughts?

Post by Paulie » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:30 pm

If you want help here, I suggest you stop spamming graphics... you are working your way toward a ban from the forums. We are here to help, but that's a two way street. Here's some honest feedback on "Missing You."
  • The chord progression is pleasant, could use some more variety as the song progresses.
  • Mix is not good… the keys are too quiet, vocals are too loud.
  • Vocals are out of tune, the doubles make it worse. If you insist on being the singer you need to use pitch correction.
  • The bass sounds dated and dry.
  • I was hoping to hear some drums come in around 0:57, when you extended the chorus. The song form is unusual, non-traditional. Form matters if you are trying to pitch this to artists.
  • The breakdown section around 1:39 has some wrong notes in it, or needs more support if you are trying to imply some different harmony.
  • Inconsistent use of the sustain pedal, gotta clean that up.
  • The lack of drums keeps the song dull throughout, you could use much more development. Try adding elements and/or changing things up in each section.
  • Would have liked to hear some more stuff like a pad or more keys in the section starting with “Today is your birthday.”
  • The hook phrase is repeated too much, and the poor vocal performance makes it even more difficult to hear over and over again.
Your web site mentions your "preference for combining the basic elements of the traditional singer songwriter music with a fusion of electronic pop/rock and dance elements.” I don’t hear any of that. This is not “singer songwriter”, nor does it come close to pop/rock or dance. You also mention that you are influenced by Rhianna, Sia, Lorde, Tones & I, Dua Lipa, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, Harry Styles, Billie Elish, Katy Perry, Lewis Capaldi and Ed Sheeran.” I don’t hear any of that at all.

This is certainly not pitch worthy, it could work as a scratch track to give someone you trust a framework to start with. Your best hope is that this gets ‘discovered’ for how bad it is and goes viral. But even then, it’s not catchy enough for that.

I listened to some of your other songs and the same feedback applies. Poor vocal performances, bad mixes and dated sounds. You can go for 80s synth sounds without sounding dated. Using current synths and proper mixing techniques will help you a ton. "Passion" reminded me a little but of “Cars”at times, “100 Degrees” is probably your best effort so far. But they all need work.

If you are serious about this, I suggest finding a collaborator that can help you with song form, singing and engineering. There are also plenty of great books out there that can help you with the various elements and form factors of successful pop music. None of what you have online today is worth spending $5 trying to submit to Taxi, you are just not there yet. But that doesn't mean you can't get there if you are sincerely willing to accept feedback and work on the craft.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic