CONTRACT

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: CONTRACT

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:07 pm

This is how it work in the UK but you can apply this to other countries

Raincoat

Post by Raincoat » Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:11 am

Guys, too many words, do you really think this is a business? This is the question I want a definite and concise answer to. Talk to me as businessmen, not just as musicians.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:59 pm

"... I want ... " ? Remember that people volunteer to spend their valuable time here answering questions in the spirit of trying to be helpful, but its not a paid helpdesk :).

Is trying to be a pop star a business? Is selling stuff on ebay a business? What about being a blogger, or a Youtuber, or selling home-made pottery? You could make a business case for all of them, but its as much about the person, their goals and their work ethic as it is about the pursuit.

Similarly, production music is whatever you want to make of it. Some are talented, connected and pro-minded and find it easier than most to find success (however you care to define that). Others could never make it a business, for various reasons. Everybody's path is different, so there is no single answer that works for everyone. However, its unlikely that anyone will generate a pile of cash quickly, so if that's what you expect from a 'business' then no it isn't one. If you see it as a long-term operation that requires some upfront investment then you could call it a business provided you've got the attributes to make it one, and the patience to wait until your momentum builds. If you're looking for ROI figures and a 5-year profit projection then you might as well forget it.

Try watching CaiNo on tomorrow's Taxi TV and see what can be achieved when you have what it takes, but you're the only one that can decide whether your vision maps onto his story and whether you think you could do something similar. If that's not enough, try watching other episodes featuring people like Keith LuBrant, Matt Vander Boegh, Chuck Henry, Dean Krippaehne, Steve Barden, Stephen Baird, Matt Hurt... and many others. These guys have made a business of it. Maybe things have moved on since they started but there are still opportunities if you know how to take advantage of them. You could also look up Michael Elsner, who'd say the answer is a resounding yes, or check out Jesse Josefsson showing his 140 page royalty statement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=IU_N1mKfd4k
Its up to you and what you've got to offer though (plus a bit of random chance).
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Raincoat

Post by Raincoat » Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:26 am

Oh, I meant to say "I would like," but if you look at my previous post, I thanked you for the valuable advice. Maybe you didn't see it. Anyway, I've come to understand that there may not be a definitive answer to this question. It seems to depend on what one expects from this job, which, as I understand, is for the long term and requires perseverance. Thanks to everyone, and enjoy the music!
Best regards.

crashgates
Impressive
Impressive

Post by crashgates » Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:06 pm

Last edited by crashgates on Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:24 pm

crashgates wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:06 pm
and love your river of money diagram mark, I'm going to frame it and stick it on my wall in the hall way next to my fake Mona Lisa pic
Thanks but I can't claim credit for it, it's by Dan Graham a UK Lbrary owner

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:57 am

One thing's for sure and I was reminded about watching Taxi TV last night (great job, Marcus!)... Time spend whining about how awful everything is-- the money, the music business, Taxi, etc. is time that could be spent creating a song. No, that doesn't guarantee you'll make money on that song, but it's definitely a better use of time to meet your goals or even long shot dreams.

You could even channel your unhappiness about something into a song with a more universal theme such as love, breakup, relationships, etc. I was once at a business meeting and was pissed off about how ridiculously naive some of the participants were. I wrote the lyrics to a song called "Naive", changing it to a love relationship situation, collaborated for the music, production, and vocal (Marcus and Kali), and it ended up placed on The Young and The Restless. https://s.disco.ac/mqythwgfkfic

You could say that folks like me, cosmicdolphin, and Telefunkin should be writing more instead of spending time on here but there is one difference that was also mentioned on Taxi TV last night. We're spending our time helping people, not complaining. The difference? Besides the joy of "paying it forward", we build relationships with other Taxi members which results in these successful collaborations. Be someone that others would possibly want to work with- it goes a long way.

8-) Casey

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:47 am

Casey H wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:57 am

You could say that folks like me, cosmicdolphin, and Telefunkin should be writing more instead of spending time on here but there is one difference that was also mentioned on Taxi TV last night. We're spending our time helping people, not complaining. The difference? Besides the joy of "paying it forward", we build relationships with other Taxi members which results in these successful collaborations. Be someone that others would possibly want to work with- it goes a long way.

8-) Casey
Critiqueing others tracks is pretty educational too, potential issues are easier to hear when you're listening objectively to music that's not your own.

You can then take that learning into your own tracks

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:44 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:47 am
Critiquing others tracks is pretty educational too, potential issues are easier to hear when you're listening objectively to music that's not your own.

You can then take that learning into your own tracks
Absolutely!

Also, this should be compulsory viewing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89_WzeYBjKY
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.