Contributing

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

davidagates
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Contributing

Post by davidagates » Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:41 am

Hi guys,

Recent I've been making submissions without seeking the feedback of members of the group.

This is because I felt bad just continually asking for something without giving anything back. I uploaded a spreadsheet template here for listings, which was my attempt at "giving back", but I've not been of any use in any other areas.

I just wanted to know if I should persevere with this guilt response I default to (I'm a lapsed Catholic, haha) or if I'm just being silly and should post my tracks up to get better.

My entire plan is to give contractive and accurate feedback for others in the long term, I just don't think I'm in that position at the moment.

What are your thoughts?

Kind regards,

Dave
Check out Crowbar Soundscapes on #SoundCloud
https://on.soundcloud.com/Uovqv

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Contributing

Post by Telefunkin » Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:36 am

IMHO there's no problem in anyone seeking feedback. I'd also like to think that there are others in the wider community that benefit from listening to the tracks and reading the feedback given. As you suggest though, its a two-way street, so giving back might also include giving your thoughts on the music that others create, and that can also be part of your own learning experience. I certainly learn from it.

I'm also surprised when I see posts from members that clearly give away the fact that they never visit the forums other than to ask their own questions, especially when the answers are already here. Its a shame, because this is a fantastic resource, and giving is as rewarding as getting. Offering your comments on someone else's music might make a lot of difference to them. We all have a unique perspective, and your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:54 am

If you look with that in mind, you'll probably find places where you can contribute. In this General Hangout forum, for instance, you'll get questions like amount of verses in a modern country song?. Anyone with an interest in that genre might be able to contribute a useful opinion.
===
Michael

davidagates
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by davidagates » Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:03 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:36 am
IMHO there's no problem in anyone seeking feedback. I'd also like to think that there are others in the wider community that benefit from listening to the tracks and reading the feedback given. As you suggest though, its a two-way street, so giving back might also include giving your thoughts on the music that others create, and that can also be part of your own learning experience. I certainly learn from it.

I'm also surprised when I see posts from members that clearly give away the fact that they never visit the forums other than to ask their own questions, especially when the answers are already here. Its a shame, because this is a fantastic resource, and giving is as rewarding as getting. Offering your comments on someone else's music might make a lot of difference to them. We all have a unique perspective, and your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's.
Thank you, I suppose I'd just feel a bit of a fraud given I've only had a few forwards. I'll be less self critical in future though, I'm more than happy to pay it back, I just don't want to lead someone in the wrong direction.

davidagates
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by davidagates » Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:03 pm

irthlingz wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:54 am
If you look with that in mind, you'll probably find places where you can contribute. In this General Hangout forum, for instance, you'll get questions like amount of verses in a modern country song?. Anyone with an interest in that genre might be able to contribute a useful opinion.
===
Michael
That's a very good point actually, I didn't even consider the wider aspects of the group. I think I need to set aside half an hour a night to catch up on stuff and see if I can add anything to the mixing bowl.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:23 pm

Remember there are always people further behind you on the road as well as further ahead.

subscotia

Post by subscotia » Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:24 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:23 pm
Remember there are always people further behind you on the road as well as further ahead.
This is fundamental to remember I think. Myself I am also 'guilty' due to suffering from a rabid case of Imposter Syndrome :D

Gillihan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Gillihan » Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:07 pm

irthlingz wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:54 am
===
Michael
yes they did too!! Thanks man!! God Is good!