"Control Your Master" readily accessible or not?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

sonicgrif

"Control Your Master" readily accessible or not?

Post by sonicgrif » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:26 pm

Hello,

This is my first journey into the forum and any experienced feedback is greatly appreciated! :D

THE SET-UP:
When a listing asks for a 90's original recording (for example) and mentions "You must own or control your Master", it's easy to assume that mix variations will be eventually requested. However, my 90's masters are on ADAT and reel-to-reel. I don't own the equipment to play them back on anymore.

QUESTION:
Using the above example, if my "90's-submission" is "approved", should I expect to quickly rent a studio or gear on my dime to provide re-mixes or variations beyond the MP3 or WAV that I submit... OR is that something that would typically be compensated for in negotiations afterwards? Considering the technology gap from that era and equipment accessibility.

I'm only asking in order to factor that into my budget in such an instance. Tks!

karafinman
Impressive
Impressive

Re: "Control Your Master" readily accessible or not?

Post by karafinman » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:18 am

On your dime.

sonicgrif

Post by sonicgrif » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:36 am

Thanks karafinman. I assume it would be on ones own dime. Making that opportunity questionable. That is; factoring the many variables of extra out-of-pocket expenses to re-edit "masters" for new mixes or facing a potentially damaging first impression. Only to result in the most minimal of return. On the other hand, that submission could open doors. Just like a lottery ticket.

Perhaps in the beginning, to gain momentum and minimize "slow-downs", it makes best sense to skip requests for which the masters are on older formats that require equipment rental. And simply focus on submittals that incorporate what one has readily available and accessible to work with in a studio. That might be playing it safe. But why not work smarter... right?

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:12 am

Two things I'm thinking (and by no means is my opinion to be taken as gospel!):

One, "owning/controlling your masters" is a legal, copyright distinction and not a technical one. The library wants to be sure that there can be no rights to the music that you cannot grant.
Two, if the listing was for vintage 90s songs (or whatever), It'd be my suspicion that they are not interested in remixes. I could be wrong about that, but often the 2-track master is all the musician will have from a decades-old session. The library/music supe will be looking for something that can be flown in as background source music during a historical scene.

I'm sure more experienced folks will chime in if I'm wrong. HTH

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:00 pm

+1 on Alan's comment that the library is concerned about legalities, not technicalities, in this case.

I would go ahead and submit. If they offer you a deal, before you sign just be very clear on whether they need alt mixes, and if they do, you can always politely refuse the deal. All it's cost you is the price of submission.

===
Michael

sonicgrif

Post by sonicgrif » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:33 pm

Great advice all. Thanks!