COPY WRITE / Information needed

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jay10music
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

COPY WRITE / Information needed

Post by jay10music » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:45 am

HI GUY'S..........I really need to know about Copy Write..1) do u copy write your instrumental songs when u finish them?2) do u poor man copy write till u get a deal offered ?3) r u sending songs to Washington ?? PLEASE GIVE INFO ON THESE QUESTIONS.....Jay-man....

zoom
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: COPY WRITE / Information needed

Post by zoom » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:05 am

Poor man's copyright will get you so far, IMO.... and I don't think it's really all that important for the submission part of the taxi world anyway.But when it comes to getting forwards, you'll probably want to visit the copyright office online and check it out as Warren said. No, you do not have to have it published for it to work. And yes, it can be all done online with mp3s.http://www.copyright.gov/There's all sorts of info there bud. I'm no lawyer, so I think I should just shut up about it for the most part.... though there are two kinds of forms... one is for copyrighting the recording (the song as you played it), and one is for copyrighting the performance (meaning if someone wants to try to recreate it). Just make sure you know which is which and how they can affect you.I'm really just now wrapping my head around it -- so if someone else has suggestions here please let us all in!