Copyright questions

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ddub

Copyright questions

Post by ddub » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:10 pm

I'm probably not the first to ask this, but:1. How much can I change or rewrite a previously copyrighted song (my own) before it must be re-copyrighted?2. If I do have to register it again, should it be done as a change to an existing copyright, or can I just re-register it as if it was a new work, but use the same title?Thanks in advance to any replies

goulash

Re: Copyright questions

Post by goulash » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:37 pm

The way copyright works, at least where i am in Sweden and the UK is once you've created something original, it's yours. The trick is to register the song at one of the music copyright societies by giving them the name of the song and who wrote it, that's it. You don't have to send them anything so you could make 57 different versions of a song and they'd still be yours, there is no re-copyrighting involved. If i do a different version of one of my rock tracks for example by say doing an acoustic version, i could then register those songs seperately by adding "acoustic version" at the end to define the difference between the two. As a backup, it never hurts to send yourself a sealed package of your own work and then put them in a safe place. Having a date on an envelope is a great thing sometimes lol

ddub

Post by ddub » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:17 am

Hey Goulash,Thanks for the info! I do have my songs registered with the US Copyright Office, so at least the "first" versions are protected. However, I have been rewriting choruses, changing lyrics, etc.Not sure how similar Swedish copyright laws are to US.Thanks again!ddub

ddub

Post by ddub » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:20 am

I forgot to mention: In the US, you have to send in a physical (or electronic) copy of the work itself when the work is registered with the Copyright Office. So requirements here are a little more than just title and author.ddub

k o star
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by k o star » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:13 am

Here in Australia it's the same as Sweden and the UK ...once you've created something original, it's yours.I've never understood that concept & how it could possibly work but hey man, that's just the way it is...-Kel
Keltrasonics Kellosphere & KO Quantum Leap =D

©2012, K. O. STAR (Kelvin) APRA- All Songs & Artwork Registered & Protected.
http://www.kostar8.com

k o star
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by k o star » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:20 am

Ddub, do U have to pay to get Ur works registered? If so, is it costly?I think if U rewrote lyrics & the tune, it would be safer to re-register... also depending on the cost factor. MHO.-K
Keltrasonics Kellosphere & KO Quantum Leap =D

©2012, K. O. STAR (Kelvin) APRA- All Songs & Artwork Registered & Protected.
http://www.kostar8.com