Could Use Some Help With Review, Thanks!

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Could Use Some Help With Review, Thanks!

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:14 pm

KentB wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:00 pm
Wow! Thanks for the breakdown of your track! I'll give it another listen(s) with your notes handy. This is just great!

Thanks again, Mark :)
Welcome, and thanks for the coffee !

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:30 pm

KentB wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:00 pm
Wow! Thanks for the breakdown of your track! I'll give it another listen(s) with your notes handy. This is just great!

Thanks again, Mark :)
No worries, there is another post here about avoiding repetition and a free PDF you can download

avoiding-repetitiveness-t146048.html

KentB
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by KentB » Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:53 pm

That's fantastic!

Thanks once again, Mark :)

stansongman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by stansongman » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:38 am

I liked the groove of this. The rhythm section seems right on. The varied instrumentation used in all the melodic parts I think makes it lose continuity. Usually I'll keep with one main melodic theme and instrumentation, then maybe thicken it with another layer rather than change the instrument. For example, you have the bell sound in the beginning, maybe for the next section just keep it going, and layer the piano in with it rather than have the piano be a solo instrument. The other thing you can do is keep the melody instrumentation and add counterlines with instruments, whistling or non-lyrical vocals to thicken it that way. There are a number of ways to maintain the continuity while building on the main theme. Harmonically, It sounds like it is a full song form with verses, chorus and bridge material. For these kinds of productions, I try to stick to 2 sections at most. Maybe a simple refrain that comes after the verses, more of an AABA kind of thing. Depending on the length of the cue needed, a lot of times I notice the editors will pick one section and just loop it. Just my opinions, but I think it was a really good job overall.

KentB
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by KentB » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:19 pm

Hi Stansongman! (Stan?) :)

Thanks so much for the advice! It totally makes sense and it tracks with what others have been saying. I love the idea of having the bell and piano layered together rather than just having the piano as a solo lead because I like the piano coming in, but now I realize it all needs to gel together better.

Thanks again!
Kent