Could you please help me improve this chorus ?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

wudi

Could you please help me improve this chorus ?

Post by wudi » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:33 pm

Hi Guys and Girls,

I have recently received a review for this song: https://soundcloud.com/user-8005550/49-stops

I'm struggling to understand how to implement the suggestions a TAXI reviewer has provided. Here's is the gist: "I think you could improve this song by
working on a stronger melodic contrast to help create choruses that were too unique to miss this song".

I would appreciate any suggestions regarding the above.

Thank you.

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Could you please help me improve this chorus ?

Post by Kolstad » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:10 pm

I struggle hearing that too with this one. Only thing I could come up with would be to subtract some stuff from the verses, to create bigger contrast in the track. It's a clever song, but it does feel a little static after a verse and a chorus, so maybe try working with starving the arrangement in the beginning, and then let things in, so it feels more like it builds in the ebb and flow of the track. Maybe it could breathe a little more, overall.
Ceo of my own life

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:30 pm

I agree with reducing some elements pre chorus. :)

The bass plays long notes in the verses and short notes in the chorus. It seems back to front and the energy drops where you would usually want it [chorus]. I think the bass is too loud in the verse as well.

You might be mixing at higher listening levels too. The vocal intelligibility drops at lower volume but gets a little clearer when it's louder [natural compression]. Lower listening levels are good for setting the vocal/percussion relationship.

You could duck the delays and reverbs during staccato passages and some percussive elements as well to help the vocal come through in places.

HTH

wudi

Post by wudi » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:39 am

Kolstad wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:10 pm
I struggle hearing that too with this one. Only thing I could come up with would be to subtract some stuff from the verses, to create bigger contrast in the track. It's a clever song, but it does feel a little static after a verse and a chorus, so maybe try working with starving the arrangement in the beginning, and then let things in, so it feels more like it builds in the ebb and flow of the track. Maybe it could breathe a little more, overall.
I have not thought of "starving the arrangement" before. Everyone's talking about the benefits of dieting theses days so who knows? It might do this track some good :) . Thank you for taking the time.

Regards

wudi

Post by wudi » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:41 am

lesmac wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:30 pm
I agree with reducing some elements pre chorus. :)

The bass plays long notes in the verses and short notes in the chorus. It seems back to front and the energy drops where you would usually want it [chorus]. I think the bass is too loud in the verse as well.

You might be mixing at higher listening levels too. The vocal intelligibility drops at lower volume but gets a little clearer when it's louder [natural compression]. Lower listening levels are good for setting the vocal/percussion relationship.

You could duck the delays and reverbs during staccato passages and some percussive elements as well to help the vocal come through in places.

HTH
That's tremendous advice. Thank you. Back to the workshop :)))

Regards