Country Forwards

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

stansongman
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Country Forwards

Post by stansongman » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:53 pm

I just got my song "Good Lemonade" forwarded for S071102CO, and my song "Still Home to Me" for Y0719CO. My page is http://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home.p ... tansongman , you can check 'em out there!

nknjmes
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by nknjmes » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:54 pm

Congrats Stansongman! I expect you to get some forwards from "Love In Your Life" too.

stansongman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by stansongman » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:09 am

Thanks for the kind words!

ckbarlow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ckbarlow » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:23 am

Hi - I finally got my login authorization for the forum, so I can post. I'm happy and amazed to say that my first-ever country song, which is also the first song (as opposed to either a rework of an old thing, or an instrumental/film type piece) that I've written since joining TAXI earlier this year, got forwarded the first time I submitted it (the female lyric version, that is). It's called "You Were There." Here's my TAXI page; you can hear it from there:http://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home.p ... erestingly, it's been rejected for 3 subsequent listings, and *not* because of off-target issues, but because the critiquer didn't get the story. Whereas the first critiquer, the one who forwarded it, went nuts for the lyric ideas ("very innovative! great story!"), the two more recent critiques have actually said "after verse 1 it sounds like random musings" and "I don't get it -- is he talking about his mother?" Yikes... wow.Most telling to me is that now that the song has been out in the world for a while, I'm utterly willing to completely overhaul it! (Not that I didn't rewrite a dozen times in the first round; I did. But now I feel ready to again.) That's a good lesson to remember. How many times did we hear at the Rally that a thick skin is vital to success? LOL....But folks, definitely if you have a moment, check it out and tell me if you "get it." Your comments will help with the next (and probably not last) rewrite!p.s. I'm so completely thrilled with the great attitudes and supportiveness I've witness so far in these forums. It's a class act around here.

ckbarlow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ckbarlow » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:36 am

Dean, "Wonder When..." is just wonderful. Well-crafted to hold the gut punch for the chorus, to repeat the title, all those things we're supposed to do. Love it.

paults
Impressive
Impressive

Post by paults » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:58 am

CK-Talk about wonderful stuff! The above song is just great- Sissy's song and Vanilla are also gems. These sound like a different genre to me than " country". Roots or Singer-Songwriter or whatever the music that gets played on the acoustic music NPR shows is called these days Really great stuff.

deankripp
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by deankripp » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:43 pm

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement per "wonder when" ck dk

ckbarlow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ckbarlow » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:21 pm

Quote:CK-Talk about wonderful stuff! The above song is just great- Sissy's song and Vanilla are also gems. These sound like a different genre to me than " country". Roots or Singer-Songwriter or whatever the music that gets played on the acoustic music NPR shows is called these days Really great stuff.Thanks!! I forgot Sissy Tune was even up there. It's 20 years old. When I joined back in March (07) I thought that song was country -- and then was set straight by a TAXI reviewer and have since done a little dern homework. Hence my claim to have written my first true country song this summer. Hey, I'm glad you like "Vanilla"! I thought it would be a real triumph to introduce the term "vanilla," in the sexual sense, into the country lexicon. But the critiquer said "nobody will get it and country listeners don't know the Attila reference." REALLY? I've heard it in slang, that a dude who talks big about his skills is an "Attila." Hmm. ANYWAY... I had a good time writing it. It gets some giggles for sure.So you did listen to "You Were There," and you "got" it? Is it confusing or is it OK? Thanks so much for the encouragement. What a great community.

paults
Impressive
Impressive

Post by paults » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:13 am

I didn't find it confusing, but if you want to make sure "the average joe" gets it, II suppose the altar scene would need to be changed. It really depends on your intended audience for that song.I didn't find the "Attila" reference troublesome. Most people would think of "The Hun", who was a conqueror, and probably pretty sure of himself That's a similar meaning to your (regional?) usage. This occurs to me on Historical/Literary references in Pop songs:I'm pretty sure "caught between the Scylla and Charybdis" would also be something that a lot of people "don't get", but that song did just fine...Paul

ckbarlow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ckbarlow » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:19 pm

Quote:I'm pretty sure "caught between the Scylla and Charybdis" would also be something that a lot of people "don't get", but that song did just fine...PaulLOL... Yeah... Though I do remember Rolling Stone or some other such cracking jokes about how Sting needed to publish a reading list before each new album release.And I wouldn't want that! No, wait, Rolling Stone can write about me if they want. So when you say the altar scene needs to be changed, can you be more specific? I'm all ears!