Country Forwards

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

djdeweese
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Country Forwards

Post by djdeweese » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:27 am

Hey ckbarlow-- I just listened to "You Were There." I thought the lyrics were very clear in the story, and it is frustrating to hear that the reviewers could be that far off base ("his mother"... what?!?). Of course, as you said, a big part of Taxi critiques and rejections is learning to thicken an artist's skin (five dollars at a time). And, at least the first reviewer got it, so certainly others will hear it too.I really enjoyed the whole theme of the song. It reminded me somewhat of the scene in Forest Gump (if you've seen it) when he describes the beauty of the water reflecting the sky when he was running somewhere in the mountains. Jenny says to Forest, "I wish I could have been there with you to see it," and he says, "You were." Anyway, best of luck with the song and future submissions--

ckbarlow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ckbarlow » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:11 pm

@ djdeweese: oh, man... stop making me cry... that's so great. Honestly I'm glad I didn't know that reference before or I probably would have scrapped the song idea for fear of seeming like a plagiarist. @ paults: OH, yikes... that's an older version. I gotta get that offa there!3rd (altar) verse now goes like this:Now here we stand I barely see the bouquet in your hand [female: I barely feel ... in my hand]It's time to take my vows and How can I say in my own waythat I feel like I've known you forever (like in v2) That country thing - trying to make the chorus mean a little more each time."I hear a song and make fun of it. Then I realize how screwed I'd be if I had to write one myself. How would I say it? [chorus] Now I have to come up with some freakin' vows. Crap. How will I say it? [chorus]" show me the links to your stuff, both of ya!

bmete
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by bmete » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:18 am

Hi Chuck,I think it has that 70's thing going on. I could hear that playing on my "Pacers" radio. (I can't believe I admitted owning a Pacer.>)Good luck with it!Bob

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:44 am

What's cool about this thread is since getting a forward on a high-bar Nashville listing is so challenging (because Nashville standards are so high), people can see others who HAVE succeeded at it and in many cases listen & read lyrics to the excellent songs. That can be very motivating. Casey

ckbarlow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ckbarlow » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:48 am

Does anyone else (outside Nashville) have and participate in their local chapter of the Nashville Songwriters Assoc.? I tested "You Were There" with my local chapter and they said virtually the same things as the original custom critique from TAXI. It was after incorporating the two critiques' (same) comments that I got forwarded.Just another avenue for getting help, fresh ears, motivation. And critiquing other folks' songs is a great learning experience too (as I guess you all know).

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:02 am

Quote:Does anyone else (outside Nashville) have and participate in their local chapter of the Nashville Songwriters Assoc.? I tested "You Were There" with my local chapter and they said virtually the same things as the original custom critique from TAXI. It was after incorporating the two critiques' (same) comments that I got forwarded.Just another avenue for getting help, fresh ears, motivation. And critiquing other folks' songs is a great learning experience too (as I guess you all know).CK, I'm gonna send you a PM.....from one female country songwriter to another.

bigdrisk
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bigdrisk » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:11 pm

Wow, I haven't checked back in with this thread in a while. Great to see the country forwards. I had four country forwards this week and one other country song was forwarded for another "any genre" listing. So I thought it was a week worth celebrating a little. Songs and listings are:Bloom Anyway Listing #D071206CPIt is What it is Listing #D071206CPBest Kept Secret Listing #S071126COWhat World Was That? Listing #S071126CO & Listing #Y071123GTusername: approvedpassword: listener

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:15 pm

Quote:Wow, I haven't checked back in with this thread in a while. Great to see the country forwards. I had four country forwards this week and one other country song was forwarded for another "any genre" listing. So I thought it was a week worth celebrating a little. Songs and listings are:Bloom Anyway Listing #D071206CPIt is What it is Listing #D071206CPBest Kept Secret Listing #S071126COWhat World Was That? Listing #S071126CO & Listing #Y071123GTusername: approvedpassword: listenerWHOO HOO!!!!
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:18 pm

yes Mr Bling... nice going! Ya gotta find us an easier way to listen to your tunes, it needs to be one click is that Ok to tell you that? you rockin' the joint now!Quote:Wow, I haven't checked back in with this thread in a while. Great to see the country forwards. I had four country forwards this week and one other country song was forwarded for another "any genre" listing. So I thought it was a week worth celebrating a little. Songs and listings are:Bloom Anyway Listing #D071206CPIt is What it is Listing #D071206CPBest Kept Secret Listing #S071126COWhat World Was That? Listing #S071126CO & Listing #Y071123GT

bigdrisk
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bigdrisk » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:56 pm

Quote:::) Ya gotta find us an easier way to listen to your tunes, it needs to be one clickWell, it should be just one click, once you tell your browser to remember the username and password. Does that not work? I'm on a Mac and using Safari it works that way for me.