Country Music Listing Confusion....?!

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

og
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Country Music Listing Confusion....?!

Post by og » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:22 pm

Quote:Quote:It's funny that you mention "Picture". I've been thinking about posting a bunch of songs that would probably get rejected on the spot by a publisher or screener but were successful. That post would just be for fun, not to say people should expect to write songs like that and make it. New writers should always go with the odds in their favor especially when it's a million to one to start with.My guess is that a professional would say that the lyrics to "Picture" are not believable. These two people love each other so much that they sleep with everything else in sight? Now, maybe you could say that in the life style of a male star on the road, it might be plausible (regardless of your moral opinion)- that is frequently how they act. But add to it the woman who loves him so much she is also sleeping around? No chauvinism intended, but I don't think this reflects how (in general) people act. CaseyI hate to say it because I have great respect for Sheryl Crow's and Kid Rock's work, but "Picture" was just not a good song, imho, no matter what genre they tried to release it in. And as much as I like the Eagles, they have a new song out on CMT (even country radio stations are playing it) called "How Long."The Eagles have to be one of my all time favorite groups, but this song just isn't cutting it.Absolutely 100% to both. I think "Picture" is just a bad song from the get-go, and "How Long" sounds like ridin' the fame-train. To backtrack just a tad, I was thinking today that "Singer/Songwriter" is more of a job description than a genre. John Mayer, Willie Nelson, Aimee Mann, Teddy Thompson, Neil Young, Cat Stevens, Shawn Colvin, John Hiatt, Johnny Cash, Ian Anderson, Gordon Lightfoot, Frank Zappa, and a host of others all fit the title. Which flavor of S/S do you want?

jimmynashville

Post by jimmynashville » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:19 pm

Great, the "New South"! I'm only 30 years old and it's always just been the South to me. I have no problem with country people wherever they come from, either, hell, Lefty Frizzell's tune "Saginaw Michigan" is one of my favorites. He was from Arkansas via Texas, but the sentiment is still there. A lot of folks from these parts moved to the industrial centers of the upper Midwest back in the 1950s and 60s, then came back in retirement bacause they never forgot that they're hillbillies. (Johnny Cash, "One Piece at a Time"). They instilled those values in their kids, too. Hank Jr. says it best, "We're from north California and south Alabam', and little towns all around this land..."There's only one South, though, and those that are ashamed of their heritage because they're afraid it will make them appear uneducated or unsophisticated to others need to take an inventory of themselves.Now that people are posting songs, however, try this one out, I anticipate a large number of flat out pissed off attacks for this:CONFEDERATE SOLDIER copyright 2006 (not that it matters ;})V.Confederate soldier, tell me where have you goneConfederate soldier, you left your people all aloneConfederate soldier, now they spit upon your graveConfederate soldier, they made the Southern man a slaveChorus/tag:But I can hear your voice, it's whispered in the windSome of 'em say that you'll be coming back againV.First they told you that your mind was full of hateThen they made you pledge allegiance to their stateBack then they burned your home and they left you there to dieAnd now your sons are educated with a lieC.But I can hear your voice, it's whispered in the windSome of 'em say that you'll be coming back againV.Now it's time for us to change what they have doneTo build a nation that will be there for our sonsWe're not the broken men the yankee says we areWe're brothers in arms each time we raise the Stars and BarsC.And I will speak your voice, I'm screaming in the windTo let them know that we'll be coming back againYes, I will speak your voice I'm screaming in the windTo let them know, I know that this time we will win...I know, screener man, it's too repetitive. Plus it'll make anyone in the music business run the other way, fast! But it'll shore rile up a hell of a lot of folks!Put that in your "New South" pipe and smoke it. Wash it down with your latte. Out in Weatherford, TX, Fentress County, TN, and Moultrie, GA it suits 'em just fine...BTW, I just killed a deer with my pickup truck last Sunday, so I butchered it up, fresh, and I have a pot of stew on the stove right now containing its backstraps. That's not tongue-in-cheek either. It's roadkill-in-the-freezer...

bc
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bc » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:21 am

Dude, -- You must be a city boy. No country boy or girl I know would make stew out of BACK STRAPS! That's un American. BTW, there are lot's of racist Yankees that would love your song, except for the untrue part about Yankees saying you're broken men. The civil war was a heinous power struggle - unnecessary, yet, inevitable. I think you have to separate the metro-centric culture from the rural culture and then you'll be closer to the kernal. I've spent a lot of time in Atlanta. Have you ever driven on I-75 during hot 'lanta rush hour? Big city folks are quicker to be impatient, flip the finger etc... When you have 100's of thousands of people in close quarters, the old saying "familiarity breeds contempt" comes into play. The problem with my broad brush opine is that I paint over a lot of very nice people. Just my .02. Now out to the outhouse to use some Cheryl Crow paper best,bc

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:24 am

Quote:Great, the "New South"! I'm only 30 years old and it's always just been the South to me. I have no problem with country people wherever they come from, either, hell, Lefty Frizzell's tune "Saginaw Michigan" is one of my favorites. He was from Arkansas via Texas, but the sentiment is still there. A lot of folks from these parts moved to the industrial centers of the upper Midwest back in the 1950s and 60s, then came back in retirement bacause they never forgot that they're hillbillies. (Johnny Cash, "One Piece at a Time"). They instilled those values in their kids, too. Hank Jr. says it best, "We're from north California and south Alabam', and little towns all around this land..."There's only one South, though, and those that are ashamed of their heritage because they're afraid it will make them appear uneducated or unsophisticated to others need to take an inventory of themselves.Now that people are posting songs, however, try this one out, I anticipate a large number of flat out pissed off attacks for this:CONFEDERATE SOLDIER copyright 2006 (not that it matters ;})V.Confederate soldier, tell me where have you goneConfederate soldier, you left your people all aloneConfederate soldier, now they spit upon your graveConfederate soldier, they made the Southern man a slaveChorus/tag:But I can hear your voice, it's whispered in the windSome of 'em say that you'll be coming back againV.First they told you that your mind was full of hateThen they made you pledge allegiance to their stateBack then they burned your home and they left you there to dieAnd now your sons are educated with a lieC.But I can hear your voice, it's whispered in the windSome of 'em say that you'll be coming back againV.Now it's time for us to change what they have doneTo build a nation that will be there for our sonsWe're not the broken men the yankee says we areWe're brothers in arms each time we raise the Stars and BarsC.And I will speak your voice, I'm screaming in the windTo let them know that we'll be coming back againYes, I will speak your voice I'm screaming in the windTo let them know, I know that this time we will win...I know, screener man, it's too repetitive. Plus it'll make anyone in the music business run the other way, fast! But it'll shore rile up a hell of a lot of folks!Put that in your "New South" pipe and smoke it. Wash it down with your latte. Out in Weatherford, TX, Fentress County, TN, and Moultrie, GA it suits 'em just fine...BTW, I just killed a deer with my pickup truck last Sunday, so I butchered it up, fresh, and I have a pot of stew on the stove right now containing its backstraps. That's not tongue-in-cheek either. It's roadkill-in-the-freezer...Jimmmy, you don't wear those laced up (red shoe laces) combat boots, shave your head and wear red suspenders do you? Or maybe a white hood with eye holes cut out of it? BTW, Dusty, I actually wrote 'Vegetable Garden' three months ago. Thanks for asking though.

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:58 am

Quote:Jimmmy, you don't wear those laced up (red shoe laces) combat boots, shave your head and wear red suspenders do you? Or maybe a white hood with eye holes cut out of it? Chits,That's exactly what I was thinking. Jimmy just seems ready to fight with anyone in the world, that doesn't like his choices. Reminds me a bit of the rednecks my Dad used to have to throw out of his bar. They usually had deer blood all over em too. I love dear meat, too, but not when I kill it with a car. Then it's just poor Bambi. Can you say something 3 times that rhymes with J? And do we feel safe even bringing it up? Yeah, Jimmy the South's Gonna Rise Again.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:07 am

Oh boys and girls you are on THIN ICE now... beware the wrath of Jimi ...and I mean Jimi not Jimmy

bc
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bc » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:38 am

No disrespect to our web mistress, but she's the least of my worries. I've been married to "Carolgene" for 31 years. Don't incur the wrath of Carolgne!! I call her, "she who must be obeyed." Or just "she" for short By the way, do you have ice in LA ? bc

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:45 am

There is ice in Canada. Lots.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:26 am

Quote:There is ice in Canada. Lots.Right now in 'Bama, we don't even have any water, let alone ice. It's so dry right now....the worst summer on record. I wonder if Jimmy is our dear friend, Shakabrah, cloaked in a Confederate suit.....no one but him could create this kind of 'interesting' discussion. Hehehe.

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:12 pm

Quote:Dude, -- You must be a city boy. No country boy or girl I know would make stew out of BACK STRAPS! That's un American.Ain't that the truth BC. The only thing Jimmy must know about deer is that some of them have horns. That is equivalent to making a stew with T-bone steaks.