Country song - mix needs help

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

todddunnigan
Active
Active

Country song - mix needs help

Post by todddunnigan » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:56 pm

This is our first crack at something that is close to legit country and mixing it is driving me crazy, I can't seem to get it right.

Any experienced country folks out there can lend us an ear and tell us what we can do to polish this up.

https://soundcloud.com/true-swans/befor ... nt-country

Here's the example track:

https://youtu.be/avoQE_yrry0

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Country song - mix needs help

Post by lesmac » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:11 pm

Beautiful feel to this song. Nice drift away vibe.

First up it's a little different from the reference in that you have about three more elements in the intro and first verse. I'd try muting a few things.

See how long you can get away with just the guitar and vocal. While the violin is nice I would use it more sparingly throughout the track.

I'd also try using a few less chords in the intro and first verse. You have strayed a little farther than three chords and the truth. It might anchor better with strums and intermittent picking than constant finger picking.

Your drum sounds are a little under whelming. The bottom end of the whole track is muffled too.

I think with a nice drum sound you could make this a more stripped back arrangement and bring elements in and out sparingly. I'd pull all the faders down and start again. The vocal is the star, let it shine first and foremost. The instruments should play a more supportive role.

Just some thoughts HTH. Nice song and performance.

todddunnigan
Active
Active

Post by todddunnigan » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:48 am

Thank you. That is all good advice. I'm sure we're going to get nailed on the chord progression not being very country, but there were 6 examples for this listing and all of them had more pop type chord progressions, so I'm hoping we'll get points for creativity as opposed to points off for not conforming. I'll definitely try to give more space in the mix and allow other instruments to breathe.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:48 pm

I'm hearing a heartfelt, authentic Celtic Folk tune here, not like the Miranda Lambert song you posted at all. Are there ref tracks that veer more towards what you've written? I'd love to hear them.

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Zaychi » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:12 am

I agree with Alan, it is a beautiful song, but doesn't sound Country at all, and will probably get an "off target" return.