Country Song

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

HarryEvans

Country Song

Post by HarryEvans » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:17 am

Hey Guys..

We are brand new to the forums but we have been taxi members for about a year now. We're curious to hear everybody's thoughts on our music.. not sure that we have set up our taxi page correctly so please be patient if the info given here doesn't work... we'll get there!

Please check out "Miracles In Me" and let us know your thoughts.. don't go easy either.. honesty is what we're after. Our collective ego was shattered long ago!

http://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home.php?userid=me

or search Harry and Tonya Evans

or this might work: http://www.taxi.com/harronya

thanks everybody!

(in the future we promise not to speak in the 3rd person....)

Lyrics: Miracles In Me

So you’re standing at the door
With a look I ain’t seen before
Cause you don’t know where this is going anymore

You say you’ve given it all you’ve got
And it ain’t worth another shot
You couldn’t care less if I give a damn or not

Now hold on, just you wait a minute
I don’t wanna live this life without you in it
Oh no, baby don’t you walk away

I’ll change my ways, change my life
Make this woman into my wife
Walk on water, be anything you want me to be

Hang, up this hat, trade in these boots
Girl, I’ll move mountains to be with you
Just give me one more chance and baby you’re gonna see
Miracles in me

You say I’ve wasted too much time
And it’s too late to make you mine
And there ain’t nothing I can do to change your mind

And you think you really doubt
That I know what loves all about
And maybe I should take some time alone to figure it out

Now hold on, just you wait a minute
I don’t wanna live this life without you in it
Oh no, baby don’t you walk away

Walk through fire, be anything you want me to be

Miracles in me

You think I’m crazy
You think I’ve lost my mind
Well baby it ain’t ever too late to turn water into wine
No it's never too late

Walk on water, be anything you want me to be

Miracles in me
Miracles in me
Miracles in me
Miracles in me
Close

Fullertime
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Country Song

Post by Fullertime » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:29 am

Welcome to the forums!

I think this tune has a lot of potential. My only quandry at this point is that I noticed the subject "Country Song"...

I'm hearing this one a lot more alt/rock a la Counting Crows, Hootie & The Blowfish...

I think it is missing certain country nuances and not to mention a country treatment in the production (steel, banjo, acoustic, fiddle).
The crunchy guitars and the minor progression makes it feel more mainstream rock. All that to say, it's not a bad thing, I just don't think this would be forwarded on a "Country" listing. I think it's a shoe in for a la "Counting Crows"....

I think if you want it to be country you may have to add a few lyrical twists and definitely more twang!!! Just my 2 cents... I've been wrong before!!! (many times actually:)

Fuller
"Vision will get you where you want to go, values will determine if you like yourself when you get there!"

https://www.taxi.com/members/fullertime
http://www.fullertime.com
https://soundcloud.com/fullertime

bwd
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by bwd » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:52 am

Hi Harry and Tonya. Really cool song. I'll go along with Fuller on the Counting Crows reference. I'd bring up the vocals a little. Good production. I like the guitar sound (Telecaster?). The song structure is a little confusing at first. "I'll change my ways..." is the hook/chorus for me. Then "Now hold on..." becomes a pre-chorus. That's cool. I think you just need to make the sections more distinct. Maybe make the pre-chorus a little sparser then come in big on the chorus. The line - "Make this woman into my life" bugs me a bit. The rest of the song is talking to the girl as "you" and then suddenly she's "this woman". What do you think? Cheers, Doug

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by deantaylor » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:01 am

Hey Guys,

Welcome to the forum. If you get around and review other people's songs, then they will be more likely to review yours.

The song has an enjoyable sound and feel. What is your goal for the song? If you wanna pitch it to country artists, then I think you'll need a lyric that is more unique. This lyric is very general. It's not bad, but there is nothing really unique or special about it.

The lyric has to be outstanding in some way to pitch to country these days .. great word play, awesome imagery, a story angle that's never been seen before, a surprise twist in the bridge, unique/specific details to the story, etc .. actually you might need more than one of these. What you might try with this lyric is to start with the setup that she is leaving him, then have him tell her specifically what miracles she will see in him if she stays. How is he gonna change for her .. give real vivid/unique images of how he'll change .. work in moving mountains or parting the Red Sea or something more unique. Just an idea .. keep or sweep.

If you are pitching film-tv then the uniqueness of the lyric is not as important, but I do think great universal imagery works very well for film-tv .. better than just general statements or telling a general story. Great imagery can help enhance the mood of the scene.

Dean

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:29 am

This is a great song, but I don't hear much that's country about it, other than something that sounds a bit like faux banjo. Given what I'm hearing at CMT/country radio, that's not necessarily a dealbreaker, heh. The two biggest problems are the mix, (ya got some great-sounding guitars smothering an otherwise awesome vocal performance that should be featured on a country record) and the vocal delivery itself, which is a much bigger problem, imo; that's some great singing, but it ain't country singing, and it's rare for a singer who sings that well in a rock/pop style to be able to 'change his spots'. If I were trying to pitch this to the country market, I'd consider hiring a different singer.

I'd try panning the guitars out wider and carving out some space in the midrange for the vocal to 'sit', using subtractive EQ, while shopping for a singer with more of a Keith Urban or Tim McGraw style, and maybe slow down the tempo a tad. Excellent song and production!
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

hazineju
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by hazineju » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:25 pm

hello and welcome! imo there's no doubt it's a solid song with great production. I am in complete agreement though about the one major issue regarding it - it just doesn't sound country! The singer has an awesome voice, but as has been mentioned, there was no twang. The production, too, did not sound country.

I'm totally with Fullertime, - my recommendation is to change a few of the lyrics such as "hang up this hat, trade in these boots" to something more appropriate for pop/alt a la counting crows and matchbox 20. Then you wouldn't need to change much -if anything- else. Just an idea - I think this song would have a little more punch and the singer would get to shine even more in a slightly higher key - the choruses are a bit on the low end (not in terms of volume but in terms of vocal register).

I did enjoy the listen very much, and look forward to hearing more from you!

fret17
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by fret17 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:38 pm

Just my 2 cents but I think the only thing that's kind of country about it is the line:
"Hang, up this hat, trade in these boots"...but I don't think the line does justice to the cool throughout the rest of the song...To me it's a form of rock song. I'd also change the line because I don't know anyone that trades foot ware for something else...great tune...I think a new rock line would complete it.