cover song copyright

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

leonid

cover song copyright

Post by leonid » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:29 am

If a song is public domain, and you record an arrangement that has been recorded before, do you need to pay mechanical royalties to the arranger? What if the arranger is not listed with Harry Fox Agency? Your feedback would be appreciated.ThanksLeonLMuzik8@aol.comwww.AdventuresOfLeonid.com

foglyte
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: cover song copyright

Post by foglyte » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:40 am

I am not a lawyer.For public domain pieces...As far as I understand, you can copyright a performance (form PA I think) but not an arrangement.Even if it is identical (which is impossible I say), I still think you are okay since it is "you" doing the performance. So the answer would be no... you do not need to pay mechanical royalties to the other arranger.I also believe that the publisher would have to pay directly anyway if applicable, not the artist. Though it may come out of your share of any proceeds.I may be wrong, other's on this forum may be able to clarify.Fog

devin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: cover song copyright

Post by devin » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:27 pm

Last time this came up, I think the consesus (among all the non-lawyers) was the library (publisher) took care of it if your song is picked up. I'll have my legal assistant search for the previous findings...[edited: Here it is....]http://taxi.proboards27.com/index.cgi?b ... read=11082
Earplugs may be required for anyone over the age of cool.