Creep (draft)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Creep (draft)

Post by Zaychi » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:30 pm

Still some work to do on this one... but I would like you guys' opinion already. How is this for a trailer-style cover of Radiohead's Creep?

https://soundcloud.com/zaychi/creep-draft/s-q5k0tkAZ7JP

EPIC, TRAILER-Style COVERS of Well-Known SONGS with Male or Female Vocals are needed by a hard-working Music Library that’s always landing placements in TV Shows, Film projects, and Movie Trailers!

They’re looking for renditions of well-known songs that could fit in the general stylistic wheelhouse of the references we got directly from them:

"Something In The Way" (Nirvana) Cover by Samuel Kim

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" (Nirvana) Cover by Think Up Anger feat. Malia J.

"The Final Countdown" (Europe) Cover by Damned Anthem

Please submit reimagined Covers of well-known Songs that fire on all cylinders from start to finish. Your submissions should evoke a similar epic vibe in the general ballpark of the references. We think adding some orchestral, rock, and electronic elements could amp up the larger-than-life sound of your Covers. Any and all software instruments or samples you use should sound current, fresh, and not dated, obviously quantized, or MIDI-Driven. Be sure to stay as close to the original lyrics and melodies as possible so the roots of the Songs are recognizable. Compelling vocal performances with strong, expressive deliveries are absolutely key for this request!

TAXI Tip: We think that some cool sound-design elements like crashes, bangs, risers, etc. might add to the "epic" factor of your submissions! You can also consider doing things like taking a song that was uptempo in its original form and slowing it down... or the opposite! Get creative and change it up!

Broadcast quality is needed.

This Library offers a NON-EXCLUSIVE, 50/50 Deal. You’ll get 50% of any sync fees and 100% of the Writer’s share. The Publisher will get 50% of sync fees and 100% of the Publisher’s Share. You’ll keep 100% of the original copyright and master recording. You must own or control the Master and Copyright to submit to this pitch. Please submit as many Songs as you’d like, online or per CD. Someone from the Publishing Company may screen some or all of the submissions. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Thursday, October 1st, 2020. TAXI # S201001CV

crashgates
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Creep (draft)

Post by crashgates » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:03 pm

Last edited by crashgates on Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

JohnDroese
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by JohnDroese » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:13 pm

Hi Zaychi..... I love it! my favorite of your songs yet..... The Cellos sound off time on the chorus now I know you are trying to emulate the electric guitars from the original.... doesn't work for me I would rather you bring those distorted guitars in or just go with a different rhythm on the cellos or really tighten up what you have..... I like the vocals I can imagine them through a rotary speaker (Leslie) effect would be cool and lastly I miss the falsetto.... you can pull it off oh and I think the vocals need to sit back in the mix a little more....such a cool arrangement

Really like it
Best of luck
John

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Zaychi » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:23 am

Thanks guys... I'll look into replacing or altering those cello's in the chorus, wasn't too happy with them myself. As for the falsetto, well... when I tried, the pitch was all over, and melodyning it (actually used it for the first time in this track, it is really cool!) made it feel really artificial and out of style with the main vocal. The "door" is REALLY REALLY too high up for me. Maybe I'll try recording it again a few notes lower and then just pitching it up.

Crash, whenever I use my "gravelly low" voice, it gets returned for sounding too "old"... I think I'll stick with this register.

Thanks again!

JohnDroese
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by JohnDroese » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:19 am

Zaychi wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:23 am
Thanks guys... I'll look into replacing or altering those cello's in the chorus, wasn't too happy with them myself. As for the falsetto, well... when I tried, the pitch was all over, and melodyning it (actually used it for the first time in this track, it is really cool!) made it feel really artificial and out of style with the main vocal. The "door" is REALLY REALLY too high up for me. Maybe I'll try recording it again a few notes lower and then just pitching it up.

Crash, whenever I use my "gravelly low" voice, it gets returned for sounding too "old"... I think I'll stick with this register.

Thanks again!
Just work that falsetto remember with Melodyne you just have to get close.... relax into it.... or you can try keeping that full voice and adding the falsetto on top might work....I think your vocal sounds great

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Zaychi » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:22 am

2nd draft... revision list:
- Simplified the celli in the choruses, and added a distorted guitar to help create body;
- Main vocal pushed back, and less delay
- Falsetto piece! Very unsure about this one, please comment!
- Minor variety changes to continuous drum sections
- Huminazed most fast string stuff
- Specifically for Tom, about half a dB extra on the horns! ;)

https://soundcloud.com/zaychi/creep-dra ... N0EXBxqjCF

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Zaychi » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:29 pm

CTWF wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:05 pm
You seem to use the right crashy sounds for trailers right from the start, but they don't bang, they go under. They would have to have much more bottom to them.
What exactly do you mean by that? Not just an EQ thing, I guess?

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Zaychi » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:40 am

I think I'm almost getting there...

Latest changes:
- reduced overall amount if drums in verses;
- created break just before second chorus;
- melody and instrument change in the closing section.

Glad to hear any more comments!

https://soundcloud.com/zaychi/creep-v05/s-Am52m4fscP8

JohnDroese
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by JohnDroese » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:02 pm

Bravo I really like this....I think you nailed the falsetto...There were a couple lines I thought you could enunciate a little better like What am I doing here in the second chorus
but regardless of what Taxi says you should shop that....
Best of Luck

JohnDroese
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by JohnDroese » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:19 pm

I kind of like the synthy strings myself