Critique Anonymity Unfair

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Critique Anonymity Unfair

Post by nomiyah » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:20 pm

Quote:Quote:Here's an example I have experience with: West Coast Songwriter song screenings. I always research the screener and tailor my song submission to them with much better results.But nomi...this is an apples to oranges comparison on so many different levels...I could debate the point but it's not that important to me...

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:22 pm

Quote:Ha! Casey, don't feel too bad. I'm probably the redheaded stephchild of the board. My creds here are so low that when I tried to contact one of our board divas (had a payin' gig for her -- emailed her twice) she wouldn't even do me the common courtesy of a reply...I think I know why BC,That's not true, at least not by me. I always like reading your posts.Nomi

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:45 pm

Quote:[quote author=davewalton board=complaints thread=1173986815 post=1174081173]Thanks again for an excellent response... regarding reviews anyone is welcome to privately critique my catalog at www.williamkitchens.com (link to my broadjam account).Great sounding songs (don't know enough about country to critique it). I recognize your pic from somewhere, did you used to use it as your avatar?

hitwriter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by hitwriter » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:13 pm

Quote:Quote:[quote author=davewalton board=complaints thread=1173986815 post=1174081173]Thanks again for an excellent response... regarding reviews anyone is welcome to privately critique my catalog at www.williamkitchens.com (link to my broadjam account).Great sounding songs (don't know enough about country to critique it). I recognize your pic from somewhere, did you used to use it as your avatar?Thank you... I caught some of your nice compositions on myspace as well.Regarding the pix I did at one time till someone on another board made a comment I'd rather not repeat here...

hitwriter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by hitwriter » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:25 pm

Quote:Quote:But nomi...this is an apples to oranges comparison on so many different levels...I could debate the point but it's not that important to me...I would love to hear more of your opinion on the matter should you change your mind.However I can respect that it's not important to you... (to express any further thoughts on a matter that won't change policy or minds)After reading some of the posts I get an impression there are many TAXI faithful here who are quite content with the status quo which is OK.The model is working and as I said earlier, TAXI is what it is. Michael has established his own guidelines that appear to acceptable to the majority.Critiques are not forced on us and those that don't care for an opinion are free to leave the box unchecked.

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:33 pm

Quote:Regarding the pix I did at one time till someone on another board made a comment I'd rather not repeat here... My head is bald too.

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:16 pm

Seriously, you've shown a lot of people a great train of thought. There is what I call, a lot of purple kool-aid here. I think it has to do with the fact that anyone can join Taxi. I mean no ill-intent by that, but it's not the same as a company that has its own staff writers, etc. So many of us actually use the critique feedback we get as extra reason to be hopeful. You come on here, give your truth, and a lotta poeple might not want to think about who is actually listening. The music business (producers, studios, lawyers, memberships etc) all suck money out of wannabees like me. We've had to fight our own denial about winning the music lottery, because we all think that just maybe, my song could be a hit. I wish Taxi didn't sell itself with Get Signed, and Get a Record Deal, blah blah blah. It's not baloney at all, but it does seem to paint a picture of how easy it can be, to score a hit. It's not that easy for me to score a forward, let alone a contract worth $500. On the other hand, for a family guy like me, I have little time to Google until the cows come home. Somehow I find time to keep posting here, but I understand that. For the first time in my musical career, I feel part of something that hasn't disappeared when the audience goes home. People matter more than songs or recording contracts to me. I completely trust that Taxi is operating with ample integrity for my needs. I've also had tons of friends and associates tell me they think I'm a musical genius . So what. Here, I find out the truth - as a result of forwards, critiques and connections with honest people. Objectivity is not the most important thing that matters. Collecting reasons to keep at it for along time is what I'm about. It's impossible to think 10 years down the road when you first join taxi. One great or lousy critique can't change anyone's life that much. I think the reviewers creds are something to whine about, but do they REALLY matter? After your confidence is high, which you have attained, you don't actually need reviews. I think that if i knew who the screeners were, I would paint them as bad apples. I'm not too proud to admit that.Years ago, I did this men's weekend that was all secretive. The leader spent most of the weekend arguing with men that didn't think he was qualified to lead. He was, by far the biggest SOB I've ever met, and boy did I learn a pile about NOT shooting the messenger. Because I suspended my own beliefs long enough to learn about what I didn't know. I still have lots to learn.You don't have to qualify where new information comes from, when it hits you in the heart. Just get on with the learning curve. I paid my 2 bits to see the high-diving act, and I'm a seeing the high-diving act. ramblin @ 3amsteve

bc
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bc » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:52 am

William, I think your query is reasonable and rational...but it doesn't provide protection against wackos. Example: In 1995 I help found and build the largest archery/bowhunting portal in the world (at that time) bowsite.com. By 1999 our boards where fielding nearly 30k unique logins per day. I had a dozen or so anonymous monitors. Why where they anonymous? Because I and my partner received death threats just for removing posts; mostly foul mouthed stuff; but phone calls and emails stating that, "I know where you live," or, 'you're gonna come up missing," can get your attention. So, I do indeed understand why Michael has decided to protect their anonymity. However, as I stated above, credentials are important. And I understand that TAXI's blanket statement covering screener creds doesn't help on a song by song basis. Many musicians would like to know just how seriously to take a critique. Most of my submissions are for high bar country artists, so I've come to know the cadre #s I trust for equally high bar content in their critiques.Thanks Nomi. We have a couple people around here who remind me of brand new groupies. As soon as they perceive they're in the IN crowd, they exhibit the same snobbery and elitism they espouse to disdain. Go figure. Hey, who's going to Tin Pan?bcbest,

johnnydean1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johnnydean1 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:10 am

Quote:Quote:[quote author=davewalton board=complaints thread=1173986815 post=1174081173]Thanks again for an excellent response... regarding reviews anyone is welcome to privately critique my catalog at www.williamkitchens.com (link to my broadjam account).Great sounding songs (don't know enough about country to critique it). I recognize your pic from somewhere, did you used to use it as your avatar?Who Is...................George Foreman!!!!

hitwriter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by hitwriter » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:14 am

Thanks Steve and bc for your input. Well thought out comments.Thinking about all of this I think TAXI might consider at some point opening its membership at different levels by audition or credentials.Those that have had professional success in the music business relative to certain standards might be allowed certain privileges. One being the ID of the screener(s).Pro members could also be listed as studio owners, producers, co-writers etc... allowing other TAXI members to benefit from their successes and helping them at a local level to raise the bar.Would this not be a bad idea if TAXI is truly sincere about helping songwriters and artists achieve success?This might even be a tool Michael could use to solicit more listings from the industry. Having x number of "Pro TAXI" members registered might gain attention with labels and publishers not currently requesting material.In might also increase their membership and revenue?Any thoughts?