Critique Anonymity Unfair

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hitwriter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Critique Anonymity Unfair

Post by hitwriter » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:56 pm

Quote:Quote:...As far as assuming that my ego is above criticism and that I somehow know it all is absurd.Songwriters much greater than me face constant rejection from the charts dying for hits. Save your cute lines for a song.Your condescending attitude however in making your point will no doubt be greatly appreciated by those who disagree with my "opinions".This had been a very considerate debate for a few pages.Sorry if I came off condescending. Not my intent. I just thought it important to note that there is value in every opinion, and many statements made here give the impression that your skillset and credentials place you beyond the need for such opinions if they come from an anonymous source. Perhaps I misread your statements as you misread my intent.For me, it's not the source of the opinion that matters, but rather the validity of the opinion's content, and only one opinion, regardless of the source, has very little merit unless corroborated with other sources, including my own evaluation.I have a decent little resume too, and am lucky enough to make a living making music and have for quite some time. However, I have learned a lot from both this forum and Taxi screeners.Sorry if it felt like I was taking a jab. I'm pretty blunt sometimes, but there's a nice guy under this text AubThanks for saying so... I did by the way value your input and agree with it.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:01 pm

Quote:Quote:Thanks, Matt. I feel like I'm at a disadvantage sending my stuff for a TAXI custom critique unless it's properly demoed. I play guitar only a little, and I've been told (or it's my understanding) that to submit songs for a TAXI custom critique, they have to sound really good or the screeners might be affected by the poor sound quality....it might affect their judgement about your song. This is one reason why I'm spending so much money having my stuff demoed first..... I'm not a musician and I can't play an instrument well or create that 'broadcast' quality that I need. I like your idea about submitting to Jason Blume though.....actually, I bookmarked his website last week, the one where you pay 30 bucks a critique. Jason will critique 'a capella' songs sent in on CD, and this is right up my alley. I don't think there are many critiquers out there who'll critique a capella type songs.....looks like Jason Blume can hear any potential in a song, even if it's not arranged or accompanied by instruments.Actually, I think you have this backwards. The whole point of getting a custom critique from Taxi or a professional critique from folks like John Braheny or Jason Blume is to provide a sketch of the song - lyrics, worktape - so that you do not waste money demoing songs that are going to need rewrites. I strongly urge you to rethink. You are submitting to be critiqued on the song, not the production (unless you specificly request that). Once you are sure the song is working, is commercially viable, then you spend the money on the demo. That's why investing $10 - $30 on a pro critique now is so important.Hummin'birdLord, it's been so hard for me to get off the computer today.....so many interesting posts. Point taken, Hummingbird and Matt. I guess I was just under the mistaken impression that TAXI didn't do custom critiques on 'voice only' tapes like mine, so this why I haven't been going the TAXI custom critique route right now.Anyway, I think I am going to get a custom critique done in the next week or so, and I also want to send a song to Jason Blume for evaluation...your comments are always appreciated. Whew, I really am signing off now, and thanks.Chits

johnnydean1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johnnydean1 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:01 pm

Quote:Wow, this place is hopping today... There were over 120 posts, many of which were on this thread! How can we complain about reviewer anonymity when we don't even know who Johnny Dean is? Now THAT'S an issue!!! I think I'll go meditate with my new mantra, "hit song"... hit songhit soooooooonghit soooooooooooonghit soooooooooooooooong cAsEyJohnny is!

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:05 pm

Quote:Thinking about all of this I think TAXI might consider at some point opening its membership at different levels by audition or credentials.Those that have had professional success in the music business relative to certain standards might be allowed certain privileges. One being the ID of the screener(s)I don't know if a pro-membership would have value for members or for Taxi. But I do know how you feel.I wanted to join Taxi but didn't for a couple of years. The reason was a sentence they used promoting the Road Rally, that it was an opportunity to have my first gig in Hollywood. Since I've performed there many times (Key Club, Whiskey, Galaxy, Universal City, etc, etc), I figured Taxi was for amateurs, not professionals.Now I know that Taxi offers something for people of all levels of experience but they could take a look at how they advertise to attract more pro's.Nomi

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:19 am

I don't know, I always took that sentence as a joke...I mean they used it when describing the open mic, hardly a "gig" by any standards...

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:24 am

Quote:Steve, I wasn't referring to newbees or you. EOM Well, I'm still kinda new, cause I don't know what EOM means. Clarify? No offense taken, I don't get offended easily. But somehow the opposite happens often. steve

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:00 pm

EOM means 'end of message.'

mayfly

Post by mayfly » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:27 am

What a superb thread. Excactly what BBs are for. Some very important issues being raised here - but will Taxi act on them ? Nice one Songwriter.Like most on here, I've had reviews that have been extremely helpful and knowledgeable, but also, I've had reviews that have gone straight in the bin because I thought the reviewer was talking complete and utter twaddle. (Just today in fact.) I think it is a perfectly reasonable request (even good manners) that we should know something of the experience of the person who is rejecting and dissecting our songs. We don't need names - just background info. And it isn't sufficient to have written a book (without some previous success to base it on) or to have played in a band (unless it had hit songs that the reviewer helped to write.) I've had one particular song rejected and taken apart many many times by Taxi reviewers.That same song reached the hands of an extremely successful producer who's had one of the biggest hits of the past decade with one of the biggest names in the business. He phoned me personally to say how much he loved the song and he hoped to use it at some point in the future. Yet it can't get past many different Taxi screeners !I have another song that is an album track by a successful chart band. It is also a big dance floor filler when played live. Again it has been rejected many times by different Taxi screeners as 'not good enough.' So yes - I agree with Songwriter - we do deserve to know where our screeners are 'coming from.'Also - I co-write with many people, and it is surprisingly common to discover EX-Taxi members who all say the same thing. They ceased membership because they got fed up with having good songs rejected. And even when they got a Forward, they never heard any more.I think any song that gets through the shark infested waters of the Taxi Screeners and gets Forwarded, deserves some kind of response from the recipient.And NO - I don't accept the 'Too Busy' excuse. They get paid for doing their job full time. They want to try being a struggling songwriter and holding down the 9-5 job aswell ! THAT is busy ! Call me old fashioned, but again - it comes down to basic good manners - and that can pay dividends down the line in many different ways.

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:39 am

Quote:Ralph Murphy:Four most important things that a writer had to have to get a publishing deal in Nashville were very surprising. • Number one, of course, was the lyric.• Number two, was personality-whether or not they like you.• Number three, logically, is melody-the ability to write a great melody. • Number four, was the ability to write alone. did Ralphy boy ever mention that you better be able to drink with him?

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:36 pm

Quote:I think any song that gets through the shark infested waters of the Taxi Screeners and gets Forwarded, deserves some kind of response from the recipient.And NO - I don't accept the 'Too Busy' excuse. They get paid for doing their job full time. They want to try being a struggling songwriter and holding down the 9-5 job aswell ! THAT is busy ! Call me old fashioned, but again - it comes down to basic good manners - and that can pay dividends down the line in many different ways.This one made me laugh...if Taxi demanded that their clients responded to each song forwarded to them, there would be no Taxi. Simple as that.And while many A&R people and publisher use the "too busy" excuse to explain why they can't get back to everyone who submits, I think it's maybe more that they don't wanna find themselves in a lengthy discussion with writers who won't accept that their "brilliant hit song" is not what the individual is looking for. For THAT they are definitely too busy.