Critique requested. Wondering if Taxi is for me.

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mrleslie

Critique requested. Wondering if Taxi is for me.

Post by mrleslie » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:19 am

Greetings gang.I'm on the fence. I've been looking at Taxi for sometime and really wondering if I should submit/join. I've been a lurker for some time and finally figured "What the h%ll?" Let me ask em what they think."The short and sweet: Completed CD (Indie, of course meaning us). We've been told that we have a "marketable, consistent sound". There are quite a few of you that I've listened to and read your opinions and they are quite enlightening. So I'm gonna take a shot."Surprise Me"http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplaye ... &q=hi"This Changes Everything"http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplaye ... &q=hi"Your Life"http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplaye ... &q=hiThere was actually a listing for a type of "Brit Rock/Pop" anthemic tune that made me make wanna post this. So I just don't know...Thanks again for any consideration and "ear time" you spend with this. I look forward to any constructive input.MrLwww.soundclick.com/randoriwww.randorimusic.com

cj

Re: Critique requested. Wondering if Taxi is for m

Post by cj » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:11 pm

Hey Randori peeps,I just listened to "Surprise Me", and I freakin love it! ...I'm wondering why you're not already a Taxi member. I could see them really liking your stuff! I definitely think u should go for it.... Rock on~~~Oh, btw I like ur guys' hair!!!!! hehehehe

trace

Post by trace » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:53 pm

Really good songs. The mixes could be tightened up a bit, and a pro mastering job would definitely show these tunes in their best light. Get a myspace page. Start promoting the H@ll out of yourselves. When you do get the ear of a label, and I think you certainly could, you want to show them that you are capable of generating a following.I really believe that self generation of a fan base is THE deal breaker for a lot of acts these days.There is a lot of really good music being made by unsigned artists. You need to stand out from the crowd!One man's opinion.Good luck.

53mph
Impressive
Impressive

Post by 53mph » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:58 am

Suprise me is a great little number. Got a U2 feel to it but it's not too derivative.Change Everything is a bit too one trick pony for me.Your Life is not really my thing, it's got a dated feel to it. In fact it sounds a little too similar to something off the Lost Boys soundtrack.The production is great. I'm listening to them on my shitty monitor speakers and still it sounds good. That's always a good test of any song.My only real gripe is they sound a bit early 90's with all the synths, power rock vocals and reverb/delays. Suprise Me is definately the stand-out track (even if the vocalist wants to be Bono ) I'd work on trying to make yourselves stand out from the crowd a bit more. What gives U2 their distinct sound? Think about trying to take a bit of that U2ness out of your songs and see if you sound different. In answer to your question as to joining Taxi or not, it really depends what you want to join Taxi for.If you're looking for a major label deal then Taxi would be a good additional way to get to A&R people beyond what you should already be doing as a band.I completely agree with trace, the deal breaker and bargaining chips are if you are already gigging and attracting a strong following. This would influence the label as it means they would have a base to work from.There are sooooo many good project bands making music these days that you need to show that you're willing to gig your pants off and people are already willing to pay their pennies to see you do it.If I were you I'd be approaching management agencies and getting them to come to your gigs to impress them with your sound, then get them to place you in the best place possible.If you sign a deal you'll need a manager sooner or later anyway.

mrleslie

Post by mrleslie » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:40 pm

Thank you guys for taking the time to listen and post (Ive been away, and this is the first chance I've had to check). Its always very enlightening to see something from different angles that you could never see yourself. I really appreciate it. The time and the effort. You're posts have given me some serious things to think about and consider.I think I'm gonna take the jump at the end of the month and join up (officially get initiated!). We actually have a few developments bubbling, but don't wanna jinx it. Any more critiques and or constructive opinions are always appreciated.Thanks!MrLwww.randorimusic.comwww.soundclick.com/randori