Cross genre compositions

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Cross genre compositions

Post by jeffe » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:09 pm

This is about those songs we write that can be classed as being in more than one genre. Also songs that could be classed as being in multiple genres, by the use of different instruments or changes in tempo.I have just joined taxi and am currently in the process of uploading some tunes before I get busy on my submissions, but I've been checking out the listings to see any relevant opportunities in advance.I've seen a country listing, and intend to submit one of my songs to it. However, the song is not recorded in that particular style. I believe with a little tweaking, it would fit well. The listing makes a point of saying that the overall style does not have to be strict, so that's like an open door to me. There are no critiques so I'm sure the person at the other end is just waiting for a song to make the hair stand up on the back of their neck.My song is called 'All of the time' athttp://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home.php?userid=920It's the top one on the list (at the moment)I can hear an easy conversion to a country ballad in that. If anyone has got a few minutes, then perhaps they can take a listen and agree of disagree with me.Back to the question.I'm sure this is a dilemma for most artists whenever they review the listings. Just how strict do they have to adhere to the requests?Especially those that are not extremely specific?I'm interested to hear members experiences on this and also it would be great if Taxi could throw some light on this themselves.Using our judgement is our responsibility but it would be nice to know roughly how long the piece of string is to start with.
It's been said that I have Murderous eyes.

jbeck
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Cross genre compositions

Post by jbeck » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:00 pm

Being new here, I do not have any experience yet about how strict the listings are. I do find it interesting that a lot of music these days are crossing genre lines. In fact, it's nothing to hear a song in a hard rock genre on one radio station and then to hear it on a country station with a total different sound...at the same time mind you.Perfect example is the popular song "Lips of An Angel" by rock band Hinder. (written by Austin Winkler, Brian Howes and Cody Hanson) This was their breakthrough single.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lips_of_an_AngelNow Jack Ingram (country genre) has released his version and it is being aired simultaneously over the airways. People have their favorite versions. I've heard country fans say they like the rock version better and vice-versa.That goes to show that in making certain changes to a song you can fit into different genres and do well with it. Jeffe - which song on your playlist is the one you thought you could hear a country flavor? There were several that could possibly have a country feel.

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:55 pm

I listened to both versions of 'Lips of an angel' and in my personal opinion, I'd go for the Hinder version. That's only because I think that Jack Ingram doesn't express it as well in his voice. The music is great. There isn't much difference between the two songs musically. Hinder's is a bit heavier and James ingram's got a slide bar There were two of my ballad type songs I was thinking about. "All of the time" and "Blow away". However, after listening to that, I can think of some others in my collection that would make the crossover.I've still got loads from my catalogue to put up, but I want to be selective, becasue I want to write some specifically for the listings as a challenge.I believe the music I've been writing in the last few months is starting to get near the mark as far as compositions are concerned. The songs already up are from the last few years. I lack production quality and the ability to put the music in that's going around my head. I can hear great stuff, but getting it into reality is still a challenge for me. That's probably because my talents on the musical front, only really stretch as far as rhythm guitar. Though the computer really does help.That's why I admired your piano. It's knowing something well enough to be able to express emotions with it.I'm not bragging, but I do know a lot about music. I know what is good and what is not, and for what reasons. I don't claim to be able to produce perfection, but I'm working on it Aren't we all.Thanks for the listens.Keep up that beautiful piano.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:15 am

Quote:I listened to both versions of 'Lips of an angel' and in my personal opinion, I'd go for the Hinder version. That's only because I think that Jack Ingram doesn't express it as well in his voice. The music is great. There isn't much difference between the two songs musically. Hinder's is a bit heavier and James ingram's got a slide bar There were two of my ballad type songs I was thinking about. "All of the time" and "Blow away". However, after listening to that, I can think of some others in my collection that would make the crossover.I've still got loads from my catalogue to put up, but I want to be selective, becasue I want to write some specifically for the listings as a challenge.I believe the music I've been writing in the last few months is starting to get near the mark as far as compositions are concerned. The songs already up are from the last few years. I lack production quality and the ability to put the music in that's going around my head. I can hear great stuff, but getting it into reality is still a challenge for me. That's probably because my talents on the musical front, only really stretch as far as rhythm guitar. Though the computer really does help.That's why I admired your piano. It's knowing something well enough to be able to express emotions with it.I'm not bragging, but I do know a lot about music. I know what is good and what is not, and for what reasons. I don't claim to be able to produce perfection, but I'm working on it Aren't we all.Thanks for the listens.Keep up that beautiful piano.I'm with you on this, one Jeffe. I think Hinder's version is better than Jack Ingram's version.....only from the standpoint that it sounds more energetic and vibrant. Jack Ingram does well, but he just doesn't equal Hinder.Another example I can think of is the old song (well, old now), "I Swear" which is one of my all time favorite country songs. John Michael Montgomery's, "I Swear" is better imo than All Four 1's version (I think that was their name, it's been so long ago).....his version of the song is just wonderful. I read that "I Swear" was passed on by almost every record company in Nashville before it become the huge hit it was and that it took about five years to get a cut on it....a nice fact to know for struggling songwriters. Persistence, persistence.

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:32 am

Dead right Chits.I think I've mentioned something like this before.You could write a song now that could be a hit in years to come. So never throw anything away. If it doesn't sound current, then perhaps it's ahead of its time.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:21 am

Quote:Dead right Chits.I think I've mentioned something like this before.You could write a song now that could be a hit in years to come. So never throw anything away. If it doesn't sound current, then perhaps it's ahead of its time.Agreed, Jeffe. I save everything, even my bad stuff...you never know. Who would have thought a banal little ditty (okay, maybe I don't have the right to be judgemental...it was a hit) like "Don't Worry Be Happy" would be the chart topper that is was?

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:43 pm

I gather you're talking about Bobby Mcferrin.Ah what a cheery little number. Like the title suggests.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:44 pm

Hi Jeffe,I don't think this would get forwarded to a country listing, not even to a wide open one, cause the lyric is distinctly non country.No "furniture" in it as they say in Nashville. Meaning it's non-visual. And there isn't nearly enough lyrical development, it just kinda sits there just repeating the same lines over and over.Lyrics are incredibly important for country music. And it's quite difficult to really nail that conversational style. This is very far away from it IMO. It's been my experience that targeting your music effectively to the listings is half the battle. Learning exactly where your music fits into the marketplace is crucial to getting things happening.This is a good song...but country it ain't, even if you put a fiddle and steel guitar on it .My 2 cents.matto

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:03 pm

Great stuff Matto. I take that on board.I have noticed that about country music. The lyrics seem to be quite long and indepth. whereas the quantity of lyrics in pop, seem to be a lot less.I gotta get me sum more country to listen too.See now there's a thing I never knew. Just how important the lyrics are in country music.I've just learn't my first lesson on Taxi So I can forget about making a country version of the beatles "She loves you". Please don't tell me that someone already has!

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:27 pm

Quote:So I can forget about making a country version of the beatles "She loves you". Please don't tell me that someone already has!I don't think so...but they DID do Janis Joplin's "Little Piece Of My Heart", Faith Hill did that in her younger years...Theres' always an exception to every rule....