cubase 10.5 pro cursor issues

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

debmccall
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

cubase 10.5 pro cursor issues

Post by debmccall » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:14 pm

Hi! I am having a huge CURSOR problem. I am fairly new to CUBASE...but began with Sequel 3 (a more user friendly and less sophisticated DAW, also a steinberg product).

If I record a track and need to re- record a portion of it, I cannot set the cursor at that point and begin to re-record. It defaults to the beginning, or some other previous measure...

With my limited knowledge, I've checked lots of forums and videos at steinberg, but have not found a solution, other than manually setting the locators, and then removing them, etc!

So, I am hoping there is a fellow Taxi member who might shed some light on this issue. Thank you!!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: cubase 10.5 pro cursor issues

Post by Casey H » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:08 pm

Hey Deb
I just started with Cubase LE 10.5, similar to regular 10.5. This was a big upgrade for me, as I jumped from LE4 to LE10.5. Maybe I can help as I've had a few startup issues of my own. Can you send me a short video of what is happening?

Might be obvious: (1) Make sure looping is not on.
(2) The transport panel controls (start, stop, rewind, record etc) should be shown up top. Let me go check my setup.

I'll PM you my email address. Maybe one blind noob can lead another. ;)

:D Casey

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:34 pm

I took a screen grab that might help but can't upload it here. We'll chat by email. :D

debmccall
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by debmccall » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:45 pm

Casey H wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:08 pm
Hey Deb
I just started with Cubase LE 10.5, similar to regular 10.5. This was a big upgrade for me, as I jumped from LE4 to LE10.5. Maybe I can help as I've had a few startup issues of my own. Can you send me a short video of what is happening?

Might be obvious: (1) Make sure looping is not on.
(2) The transport panel controls (start, stop, rewind, record etc) should be shown up top. Let me go check my setup.

I'll PM you my email address. Maybe one blind noob can lead another. ;)

Thanks you, Casey!

Well I'm not that techy so a video might be a bit of stretch...however, I was able to get the auto scroll to go from screen to screen...However, the big prob is not being able to control the cursor.. For example, if I record a track, and make a mistake, I erase the mistake, set the cursor at the point I would re-record, and it either goes all the way back to the start, or back a measure, or so...it has even jumped forwara a tad.

I really appreciate the input regarding the transport panel...I will check those controls soon. It's been so frustrating...the Sequel daw was so much easier, but this has so much to offer. My husband and I have been fighting this tech thing for months. But, looking back several years, it was the same way with Sequel...the learning curve just keep getting steeper LOL!! Yes, definetly send email address and we'll keep in touch on these things. Maybe we'll know some little to share and possibly get better at this. We'll try the transport tomorrow eve.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:21 am

Do you have the snap controls options on? There are 2 of them, one snaps to closest grid and the other to zero crossing. Theses are 2 symbols in the toolbar up top, you can drag your mouse over them to see which ones are which. Try with these turned off.

What you describe is pretty extreme so it also could be an installation/PC issue. Hopefully it's just a simple setting.

Best

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:32 am

Casey called it...
You have the "Snap" button activated that forces the track cursor to jump to the nearest start of a beat.
It is a very useful tool that can be annoying at times when you forget to switch it off
The "Button" for it is up top, highlited White when activated, Grey when deactivated!
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:06 am

The button will look something like this:
>:<
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:54 pm

Oh Snap! ;)

The 4th post down at this link shows what the snap buttons look like:
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=131119
The snap to zero crossing and snap to grid buttons are next to each other.

HTH!

debmccall
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by debmccall » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:09 am

Casey H wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:21 am
Do you have the snap controls options on? There are 2 of them, one snaps to closest grid and the other to zero crossing. Theses are 2 symbols in the toolbar up top, you can drag your mouse over them to see which ones are which. Try with these turned off.

What you describe is pretty extreme so it also could be an installation/PC issue. Hopefully it's just a simple setting.

Best
Hey Casey! Thank you so much, yes I will check this first thing tomorrow...out most of the day today, but anxious to try this. Also, thanks for email, I will let you know how this snap to the grid thing goes!
Thanks again,
Deb

debmccall
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by debmccall » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:12 am

cassmcentee wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:06 am
The button will look something like this:
>:<
Hi Cass! Thank you so much for this input, I do know where the button is, and i will check tomorrow. This has been a steep learning curve without this cursor problem...And it's good to know there are a few other Cubase folks out there :)
Thanks again, I'll let you know how it goes.
Deb