Cubase 6

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

fusilierb
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Cubase 6

Post by fusilierb » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:42 am

Glad to hear that! So no issues for you so far?

Dwayne Russell
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Dwayne Russell » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:53 am

fusilierb wrote:Glad to hear that! So no issues for you so far?
Just a little hyper ventilating because of the new features. I have wanted that group edit for a long time.

I think it closed on me a few times, but probably of what I was doing to it. But, that was probably more to do with my computer and not Cubase. I was surfing the web downloading files uploading files and doing mass group edits and using Vari Audio all at the same time. I think my poor old computer just said Woo, wait a minute. But it adjusted just fine now.

Now it runs with out a hitch.

marcblack30
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by marcblack30 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:25 pm

Damn... I got CB5 as an early xmas present last year so by being impatient I missed the grace period for free upgrade, guess that's what I get. :roll:
Ok, now everyone stop talking about how awesome and fantastic CB6 is, i'm still enjoying 5! ;)
-- Marc Blackwell

Tim_Behrens
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Tim_Behrens » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:07 pm

fusilierb wrote:I just wanted to make sure of something. This upgrade does leave your cubase 5 installation in place right?? So you have 5 and 6 in case stuff isn't working right?
Hey Bryan,

Just wanted to share my experience.... I updated to Cubase 6, and when I activated it, it seems to have removed my Cubase 4 license from the Dongle. I'm not sure if that's true for everyone, but I can't seem to run the older version now, and even the Steinberg Website only shows my Cubase 6 license as being registered now. Maybe I'm missing something, but it might be worth investigating more before you take the leap.

I'm having a nightmare of a time getting my NI East/West libraries to work on a Windows 7-64 bit build running Cubase 6-32 bit. Not sure what's going on there, but this transition has been anything but smooth. Nothing like a technology bump in the road to kill creative momentum.
--Tim Behrens
TimBehrens.com | SoundCloud
Facebook | YouTube | Google+ | @TimBehrens

Tim_Behrens
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Tim_Behrens » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:23 pm

One more quick update. It does seem that, even though my registration only shows Cubase 6 now, once I updated my elicenser software, I was able to open both versions again. A small comfort, but at least I can continue to work in v 4 while I figure out the VST issues in v 6. Sorry for all the posts. Just thought they might be relevant to someone.
--Tim Behrens

fusilierb
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by fusilierb » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:30 am

That sucks Tim! That's my only concern. I'm not expecting everything to work, but I cannot be down at all right now. So I have to make sure that I can still use 5 while 6 irons out the quirks. Thanks for the headsup!

Dwayne Russell
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Dwayne Russell » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:35 am

Tim_Behrens wrote:
fusilierb wrote:I just wanted to make sure of something. This upgrade does leave your cubase 5 installation in place right?? So you have 5 and 6 in case stuff isn't working right?
Hey Bryan,

Just wanted to share my experience.... I updated to Cubase 6, and when I activated it, it seems to have removed my Cubase 4 license from the Dongle. I'm not sure if that's true for everyone, but I can't seem to run the older version now, and even the Steinberg Website only shows my Cubase 6 license as being registered now. Maybe I'm missing something, but it might be worth investigating more before you take the leap.

I'm having a nightmare of a time getting my NI East/West libraries to work on a Windows 7-64 bit build running Cubase 6-32 bit. Not sure what's going on there, but this transition has been anything but smooth. Nothing like a technology bump in the road to kill creative momentum.
I am not having that problem at all.

You should call NI.

It's most likely not Cubase 6 that is the problem.

Tim_Behrens
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Tim_Behrens » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:57 pm

Dwayne Russell wrote:

You should call NI.

Yeah, it's hard to say. I've got a ticket open with NI now. Interesting things I've discovered... one, Cubase 6 does work on XP, even though it's not supported... and my East West NI libraries work in Cubase 6 on XP. Also, the standalone versions of the East West libraries crash on my Windows 7 machine as well, so it's not specific to CuBase. Like you say, it may be something wrong with my OS.

Either way, VST problems aside, I do at least have both 4 and 6 running on my XP box now, so it's probably safe to say that upgrading will not affect your existing install. My issue with losing the older license must have been related to needing to update my elicenser. Once I updated, the older version opened right up.
--Tim Behrens

Dwayne Russell
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Dwayne Russell » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:09 pm

Tim_Behrens wrote:
Dwayne Russell wrote:

You should call NI.

Yeah, it's hard to say. I've got a ticket open with NI now. Interesting things I've discovered... one, Cubase 6 does work on XP, even though it's not supported... and my East West NI libraries work in Cubase 6 on XP. Also, the standalone versions of the East West libraries crash on my Windows 7 machine as well, so it's not specific to CuBase. Like you say, it may be something wrong with my OS.

Either way, VST problems aside, I do at least have both 4 and 6 running on my XP box now, so it's probably safe to say that upgrading will not affect your existing install. My issue with losing the older license must have been related to needing to update my elicenser. Once I updated, the older version opened right up.
Doesn't NI answer the phone? Why a ticket? 323 467 2693

Did you try re installing?

Tim_Behrens
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Tim_Behrens » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:28 pm

Hey Dwayne,

I wish it were that easy. I have a full-time day job, a fourteen month old son at home, and a few hours in the tail end of evening to fumble my way through this. They might answer the phone, but not at the time of night I could call them.

In any case, I think I found some resolutions for most of my problems tonight. Part of it was that my Faderport driver was malfunctioning, and sending bad midi data to cubase as soon as it opened. The other part was that my products were not registered through NI Service Center on my Windows 7 Machine. My best guess is that the plugin loaded, saw it was way past the trial period (I've owned these for several years now) and immediately shut down. Once I got them activated, and my faderport driver re-installed, they all seemed to work... except for Symphonic Choir, which is still crashing. We'll save that one for another night.

In any case, I don't mean to be mass posting on this thread, but there's always the chance this could be useful to someone.
Best wishes,

Tim
--Tim Behrens