Curious about people's take on this track

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jlevis6

Curious about people's take on this track

Post by jlevis6 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:56 pm

Hello everyone:
I am curious as to what people's take/suggestions would be on the following track.
It is called Sitting at the Bedside.
https://www.taxi.com/members/93-HgfxkQ7 ... john-levis

The Listing is below..

TAXI TIP: This is a hot new Library that's BRAND NEW to requesting music through TAXI, so chances are you don’t have any material in their catalog yet! This company is all about "new, fresh music," so this is a great opportunity to get in first and create a new outlet for your music and begin a new relationship with an awesome new company!
TAXI # S220224CP
This Company is searching for Instrumentals and/or Instrumental Cues in the general ballpark of these references:

Theraflu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyOALNC0Sbg

Trulicity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPO5zeFYnKw

Prescribed to Death
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUS6Zqmg7no&t=16s

Please submit well-produced, cinematic Instrumentals (or Cues) that would work well as underscore for various scenes and scenarios. Piano should be the main focus and base of your arrangement, but additional instrumentation like Strings, Pad Synth etc. are fine, as well. Your production and all virtual instruments or samples you use should be high-quality and modern. Sticking with one mood per piece is recommended so that they remain cohesive.

TAXI Tip: We suggest trying to keep your submissions on the simpler side, melodically. Your job is more about establishing a mood rather than winning "Composer of the Year"!

IMPORTANT NOTE: This Company offers an Exclusive deal, and has a strong preference for signing material from songwriters who have worked for libraries and licensing companies in the past and understand how standard deals work. If you don't have that experience and you don't know the drill on typical deals, they politely ask that you don't submit to this request.

All submissions should be at least 1:45 minutes long and no longer than 2:45 minutes, with non-faded, buttoned endings. Do NOT copy the referenced examples in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

The screeners comments:

I really like this writing, it could serve well as dramatic underscore.

I think you could improve this song by
The issue here is that the references we were given are all in the promo/PSA vein - a style that is more about supporting on screen dialogue than the introspective feel here.

I returned or forwarded this song because
Given that 'cinematic' could be interpreted in different ways, we're left with using every bit of info we can glean from the listing description, and the references are the strongest indicator of the client's wishes from these submissions.

I tried to stay with the tonality-two of the tracks were in D minor-with a simple diatonic harmonic relationships-with sustained strings. There was some variety of moods....the trulicity was in C major and a little more "positive" in its feeling tone. Prescribed to Death was the track I referred to most of all. The subject matter was very serious-and the music had a reflective melancholy that I thought underscored the dialog and the visual. Levels and tonality, etc.

I am somewhat stumped by this review by the screener...."cinematic" is in the listing.
I really like this writing, it could serve well as dramatic underscore.

I think you could improve this song by
The issue here is that the references we were given are all in the promo/PSA vein - a style that is more about supporting on screen dialogue than the introspective feel here.

I returned or forwarded this song because
"Given that 'cinematic' could be interpreted in different ways, we're left with using every bit of info we can glean from the listing description, and the references are the strongest indicator of the client's wishes from these submissions."
I have seen this comment in other reviews displayed in this forum.....verbatim

Perhaps someone can tell me where I missed the target.....

In the listing it states-'Your job is more about establishing a mood rather than winning "Composer of the Year"!' I did establish a mood-but too introspective according to this screener-"a style that is more about supporting on screen dialogue than the introspective feel here."

Perhaps someone could give some feedback/suggestions....perhaps the gift of discernment-theses listing have a frame of reference that is apparently quite narrow-the oft described 15% rule that Mr Laskow often describes during his broadcasts..so I am looking for the 15% range.

TIA,

all the best,

John Levis

jlevis6

Re: Curious about people's take on this track

Post by jlevis6 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:51 am

Hello everyone:

Looks like I missed a step with how to post the links...
Hope this works...
Would be interested in feedback to the above posting..

https://www.taxi.com/members/93-HgfxkQ7 ... he-bedside

thanks,

John Levis

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:27 am

Still doesn't work. Just about every new member does exactly the same, so you're not alone :).
Please watch this video, which was kindly made by one the members here to try and help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkr96Inx-Vc
Alternatively, you could post your track on Soundcloud.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

jlevis6

Post by jlevis6 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:10 pm

Thank you!!!!

Here is the link I followed the procedure outlined in the youtube video.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:29 pm

Still nothing. Is it set to public in the track info?

jlevis6

Post by jlevis6 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:08 pm

Hello all:

Turns out that I had to make my profile public-not just the individual track...this according to Matt..

I hope this works...thanks for all your attempts to help.
John

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:53 pm

It was worth the wait John - lovely music! I really like your piece and think you should have no trouble finding a home for it, even if it isn't with this listing. I can't tell you why it wasn't forwarded, but the screener must be hearing something that they think doesn't match what's being asked for. Its just one return though and if you're consistently making music to this standard I honestly wouldn't worry about, you'll soon be on your way, regardless.

BTW, is that a real piano mic'd up? It sounds great!
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

jlevis6

Post by jlevis6 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:09 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback....I have been trying to work on my mixes and mastering..so this was heartening.

It was NI Alecia's Keys....with some reverb and some compression.

Glad I finally solved the link problem...

all the best,

John

RobRaede
Active
Active

Post by RobRaede » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:20 am

I think this is fantastic music, great production, well played. The only thing I might add is that while I was listening to your cue, I found myself thinking of movie scenes where something is going on with no dialogue....ie, a character is walking thru his house looking for something, or a person walking along a cliff thinking about whatever, or some other kind of story-developing-but-no-dialogue scene.
Possibly why it didn't fit this listing? Whatever, don't delete it, wait for the right listing and you'll nail it.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:19 pm

Very nice cue - arrangement would walk over the dialogue too much though I think

Simpler...less melody...staying out of the upper mid range of notes that occupy the same space as voice.

Keep it for something else where it won't sit behind a V/O