Damn! would you have forwarded this?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

louis2012
Impressive
Impressive

Damn! would you have forwarded this?

Post by louis2012 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:53 am

I really wanted to be forwarded for this as i thought it was well on target! It just got returned, Grrr. ONE OF THE PRODUCERS OF "KING OF THE HILL" NEEDS MAIN TITLE FOR NEW SERIES that will be airing on a Major Network. He's looking for a 20 second INSTRUMENTAL that is happy, bright, bouncy, uptempo and makes you want to dance. Stylistically, he wants to hear a cheery song with a world music flavor. This comedy is centered around multi-cultural issues and therefore the "World" element is crucial to capture the true heart of the series. Some references that were provided are Kanda Bongo Man (specifically tracks "Lela-Lela", "Zing Zong", "Mama Oule"), "Swale" by Kotoja and all the way to "A-Punk" by Vampire Weekend or "Kid Power" (TV theme song from 1972 - bubblegum version of '70s Funk). Be sure that you only submit :20 segments, as that is all they would like to hear. No fade-outs are recommended for this one. Only Instrumentals, please!here is my submission...what do you think, would you forward this? Listener #27 didn't. Me no like him.www.taximusic.com/stream/164522/KingOfTheAnthill.mp3

djdeweese
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Damn! would you have forwarded this?

Post by djdeweese » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:17 pm

Hey louis, I couldn't get the link to work... I'd love to take a listen. (Don't you hate those listings with no review comments when you got a rejection?!?)

louis2012
Impressive
Impressive

Post by louis2012 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:33 pm

Yeah those non critiques drive me nuts, especially when I'm 100% sure I'm on target!Try the link now, hopefully it will work.http://www.taximusic.com/stream/164522/King Of The Anthill.mp3

remmet
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by remmet » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:08 pm

Hey Louis - I like your submission. It was snappy and fun, and it seemed to fit the listing quite well. I agree that rejections with no feedback are very frustrating. There's no way to know what the problem was. I hope that policy changes.I feel your pain. My submission was also rejected. Why? Who knows?Richard

djdeweese
Impressive
Impressive

Post by djdeweese » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:49 pm

Hey Louis,I tried in a different browser and got it to work. (Everything used to work fine before they "upgraded" the music player a while ago.)I can see no reason why your track wasn't forwarded. VERY FRUSTRATING. I'm all for the review system in theory, but when a good track doesn't get a chance to be heard by the people who placed the ad I really question the system. I had a couple tracks rejected for this listing too: http://www.taxi.com/djdeweese "world intro 1" and "world intro 3"(Disclaimer: I made the mistake a couple minutes ago of adding up what I've spent for two years of Taxi, dispatch listings, and 175 song submission, so thinking about no-comment rejections of good tracks like yours is pushing my buttons. I've got over thirty tracks in libraries now, but no actual money in the bank from Taxi work. Patience Grasshopper, patience...)Sometimes the reviews seem quite arbitrary. Onwards and upwards. You still have the tracks in your catalog for some other use now. Hope your next submissions meet with more success--

bigbluebarry
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by bigbluebarry » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:46 pm

Not sure if this is the case but I've heard Michael (Laskow) say on more than one occasion that sometimes for the Yes/No listings, the client themselves will come in to the TAXI offices and screen the songs. Not sure if that's what happened with this one, but that could be the reason why it didn't get forwarded. For what it's worth, I think you were on target for the listing. I'll give you the old TAXI mantra... Write. Submit. Repeat. - Big Blue
Imagine a steel cage match between Daughtry, Coldplay, Paramore and Demon Hunter with Joe Satriani as the referee...

http://www.taxi.com/bigbluebarry
http://www.bigbluebarry.com
http://www.twitter.com/bigbluebarry

louis2012
Impressive
Impressive

Post by louis2012 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:51 pm

Hey Richard, I'm shocked yours wasn't forwarded, it was excellent and perfect for the listing.djdewese, i can't find your world intro tracks on your page, do they have different titles? My God, you're a brave man doing the math like that, your results indicate Taxi doesn't quite work for you, this has me worried i must say. I've heard some amazing rejections for this listing and I'm baffled and annoyed. Don't we pay money to remove the barriers that stop our professional tracks from getting to the right people?I've decided to take matters into my own hands now, some detective work on my part has given me the name of this new cartoon show, the names of the producers/writers and their production company address...the moment I got my taxi return I burnt off 4cds and I'm mailing them directly to the company today. I feel that taxi has failed me on this occasion so what else could I do? From sour grapes comes fine wine I hope.Good luck with all your future submissions guys! Onward taxi soldiers!

djdeweese
Impressive
Impressive

Post by djdeweese » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:49 am

Hey Louis, (doh) I didn't have the tracks set to "public" , but they should be there now if you want to give a listen. Barry may be right that someone from the show was there to screen them, which might explain why even excellent tracks like yours didn't get through, but usually a listing will indicate that and say "the producer will be at Taxi and screen them himself" or something similar. This listing didn't say that so I don't know if that was the case here.I'm not sure if I was brave or foolish to do the math on my Taxi investment. I've had around 60 forwards in two years but no payment coming back this way after spending over $1500 (membership+dispatch+submission fees). I've decided to do at least one more year with Taxi and see how things fall out, but if no money comes back this way that would be it. I did a poll a few months ago, and it looks like less than 5% of forwards get a contact:http://taxi.proboards27.com/index.cgi?a ... =7470Since my forward ratio is only around 30%, that means I submit more than 60 songs (at $5 each) to get a contact. If I got my butt in gear and spent that $300 sending out CDs and emails on my own I wonder if I wouldn't get at least one good contact out of it. Only way to find out is to try, which is why I applaud your detective work and your initiative to send your tracks yourself. My real hope is that the tracks I have placed as a result of Taxi contacts take off over the next year and make my initial investment of time and money worthwhile, but when I hear songs like yours that didn't get a forward when it sure sounds like the right quality and style for the listing, I have to say I get rather pessimistic. Only thing to do is keep working and keep an eye on all options as you are doing. Good luck--