DBX 266xs compressor/gate

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Gillihan
Impressive
Impressive

DBX 266xs compressor/gate

Post by Gillihan » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:29 pm

Anyone have any experience with DBX 266xs making noise when plugged into an interface fx loop via TRS cable but don't in any other chain of fx? Never had a peep out of it before. Advice? Ps ..all good cables etc.
:geek: :ugeek: :o

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Re: DBX 266xs compressor/gate

Post by BradleyHagen » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:11 pm

Gillihan wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:29 pm
Anyone have any experience with DBX 266xs making noise when plugged into an interface fx loop via TRS cable but don't in any other chain of fx? Never had a peep out of it before. Advice? Ps ..all good cables etc.
:geek: :ugeek: :o
Hi Brandon-
Just so I understand this correctly...You have a rackmount 266XS connected through the "FX loop" of which interface?? Is it an insert cable? (1/4-1/4-TRS)
So you are attempting to route audio out of your DAW, into the DBX and back correct?
Bradley Hagen Productions
Bradley Hagen (702) 513-5320
www.bradleyhagenproductions.com

Gillihan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Gillihan » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:25 pm

On the back of my DAW interface it has inserts. I have been running my compressor by TRS insert cable for the vocal channel . Been fine till last night.. I have changed every cable.. seems the ground in the rack died .. but works if you go straight through the compressor and into the channel..no noise then.. I ended up running the mix through a tube warmer 1st to power the mic and through the compressor . Actually sounds better. Just can't understand the other route just poof!! Lol.

Gillihan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Gillihan » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:29 pm

.my 1st post wasn't worded right.. hahaha...Efx loop isn't an insert... Hahah I was tired an irritated. Hahaha thanks for chiming in. Made me see my post in a new light.boofed communication... Lack of communication lack of.. hHha

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:02 pm

So the direct route is working for you then?? Good to hear! I have a bunch of outboard gear, but just use it as a chain going in, no inserts - it is all before the signal hits the convertor FWIW

Gillihan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Gillihan » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:46 pm

Thanks for looking out Man! thought it was working .. the noise is still there!! Ughhhh!!!! I been at it all damn day. I thought it was gone. it's like there is a short in something. I traced all my power sources . only thing I can thing is something is kicking on somewhere. Perhaps I need a power conditioner . it's always something silly!! And always at a bad time!! :cry: :x :x :roll:

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:57 pm

Yeah must be a grounding issue...... Try an Ebtech or Furman unit and see if that fixes it? Or just plug some stuff into a different outlet

Gillihan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Gillihan » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:49 am

I have:
checked a different mic, changed all chords, plugged into every outlet in the house via heavy pro gauge extension cord, BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ..
I live out in the boonies of Arkansas ( 20 miles from nowhere) ..
They recently did work on our electric grid out here.. the transfer station is just to the edge of our property. I think they may have installed something that interferes with audio... it isn't constantly loud. Whatever it is gets worse when it kicks on.. hell might even be my air conditioner . leads me to believe the power issue has always been there and my furman just gave up after a 20 yr run!! :( so your speculation is most likely correct my friend. Now I need to make a trip to Memphis to try and save the day!!!
Thanks for the moral support! :)

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:47 am

I have an old band buddy that I write with occasionally who lives in a nice big beautiful house in Prairie Village, KS (Kansas City Metro area) - BUT- He has two sets of massive overhead power lines that run right through his backyard, and I am telling you - it is a problem! I have received guitar tracks from him that have taken me FOREVER using Izotope RX to get rid of that hum, so I know just how bad it can be. My other advice is to buy Furman or Ebtech stuff from a source that will let you return it, because that may or may NOT resolve your problem if it is something like this - I sure hope that it isn't a grid issue!

Gillihan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Gillihan » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:05 am

update!! They came yesterday and replace a transformer on our grid... PROBLEM SOLVED!! I got a new Furman anyway, and It helped a little but when that thing kicked in it buzzed like a cheap 5ft plastic cable being used on a tube amp!!the other one was spent for sure though, had it over 25 yrs I figured up. I would have ordered it on Amazon for less though if I knew , but I needed right then!! lol Thanks for the support man!!
P.S. keep up the good work! I dig your stuff!! :D