Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: De-Essing: EQ vs. Volume Envelope

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat May 23, 2020 7:44 am

CTWF wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:32 am
Sometimes I feel, just using volume reduction is in fact the best approach. But of course it is MUCH more work! :)
Lowering the gain / volume of ALL the esses by hand is very time consuming but IMHO gives the best result with no side effects ( i.e. a de-esser can make someone sound like they have a lisp )

An easier way might be to use the split tool to separate them all then drag them to an adjacent track that is set lower in volume, this can be a lot quicker than using automation or clip gain to make individual edits.

In Cakewalk you can ensure the clips don't accidently slide to a different time by holding down the shift key as you move them, so they will stay locked in position.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun May 24, 2020 5:30 am

CTWF wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:38 pm
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:44 am
An easier way might be to use the split tool to separate them all then drag them to an adjacent track that is set lower in volume, this can be a lot quicker than using automation or clip gain to make individual edits.
I did it the long way because those essess really have different volumes and some are particularly piercing - so I had to adjust the gain from case to case differently... :( But it's alright, I am through now and threw an EQ on top of it. :)

Tom
The new Cakewalk update has added a visible clip gain feature, so the clip waveform changes size when you use it ( like it does in PT ) ...a lot of people are very happy as we have been asking for this feature for years !

I am just using the early access Beta but it should be released this week everywhere

teleblaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by teleblaster » Sun May 24, 2020 8:00 am

Good topic. I find de-essers are a bit of a conundrum, in order to get them to actually remove the 'esses' or offending parts of a track they ruin the rest of the track. Here's a couple thoughts.

apply just as much de-essing as you can get away with safely on the offending track
duplicate the track, one track has everything but the 'esses' parts, the other is the inverse (nothing but the 'esses')
do the heavy lifting on the 'esses only' track: stack another de-esser, push the existing de-esser harder, use volume/EQ etc.

HTH

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun May 24, 2020 5:27 pm

CTWF wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:21 pm
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:30 am
The new Cakewalk update has added a visible clip gain feature, so the clip waveform changes size when you use it ( like it does in PT ) ...a lot of people are very happy as we have been asking for this feature for years !
Makes sense to do that - and I suppose you can switch it on and off.

Newest version: After a recent update my aim assist does not seem to get stuck anymore all the time - I am happy about that. :)

Tom
Never used the aim assist, I don't get what the point of it is. Just an annoying line that gets in the way.

No I don't think that you can switch off the new waveform scaling.

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Sun May 24, 2020 6:25 pm

My two cents...

It's nice when a plugin can do the work without artefacts. :D

In general I level important tracks like vocals with clip gain while watching a VU meter on the track first up.

Compression is mostly provided by an 1176 followed by an LA 2A. If this compression or other plugins hype the vocals and "esses" jump out I'll usually have a de-esser before and after compression. R De-esser is a firm favourite. If they can't cope it's probably only a few points where I need to level automate for "esses", most likely clip gain. MV2 by waves is a good plugin for vocals as well as bass for level and expansion [not de-essing].
It goes without saying that you don't push any plugins too hard except for effect.
Vocalists should make an effort to reduce potential problems at source if possible.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon May 25, 2020 4:18 pm

CTWF wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:24 pm
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:27 pm
Never used the aim assist, I don't get what the point of it is. Just an annoying line that gets in the way.
:shock: How could you make any precise cut without it?
Same as I did for the 20 or so years before they introduced it as a feature ? Just click on where you want it to be ? You can see in readout at the top which bar etc you are on

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed May 27, 2020 3:24 pm

CTWF wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:21 pm
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:18 pm
Same as I did for the 20 or so years before they introduced it as a feature ? Just click on where you want it to be ? You can see in readout at the top which bar etc you are on
It is a little bit like trying to get that volume envelope to exactly -10.0 dB when, of course, -9.9 dB would do the job as well. I just NEED to know where I am at PRECISELY. :)

Tom
You can see it at the top..just change the display to bars etc not time