dealing direct with a Production House

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

andy1324
Active
Active

dealing direct with a Production House

Post by andy1324 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:56 pm

greetings fellow members
so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction with this issue. When working with a library and a deal is struck there is a contract (usually) laying down whatever the terms are. But...and this is my question, lets say you do work for a Production House directly that uses your music in a Commercial, Local or other wise, How are the terms set up in that situation, and if its too hard to give an answer maybe someone can post a link of information in that direction
as always
thanks in advance
andy

edmondredd
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: dealing direct with a Production House

Post by edmondredd » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:52 am

Would also love to see other more seasoned composers answer this, but AFAIK, you get an 'upfront' fee, and it is usually like a signed track with a non exclusive publisher, unless stated otherwise. So you could probably shop your cue elsewhere. I am not sure about royalties or 'cue sheets' though.
edmond redd

Image Image Image Image

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: dealing direct with a Production House

Post by guscave » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:09 pm

From what I've seen, most supervisors and production companies will provide you a contract as they're the ones who know what their budget is for a particular show. Once you get a contract then it's up to you to decide if it's worth it or not.

On the other hand, I do know a composer who once had to provide his own contract to an editor for an album of songs. He had his lawyer draw up that contract.