Want your lyics reviewed? Post 'em up!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

GMDmusic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

DECIDED NOT TO...

Post by GMDmusic » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:23 pm

Hey Lyric Lovers,

I have DECIDED NOT TO post my lyrics and or lyrical ideas in this forum.

Why? Think about it. This forum is open to not only TAXI members but anyone who decides to drop in and browse.

Please let me know what you think and why OK? I think I've made a wise decision...

simonsays
Impressive
Impressive

Re: DECIDED NOT TO...

Post by simonsays » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:29 pm

GMDmusic wrote:Hey Lyric Lovers,

I have DECIDED NOT TO post my lyrics and or lyrical ideas in this forum.

Why? Think about it. This forum is open to not only TAXI members but anyone who decides to drop in and browse.

Please let me know what you think and why OK? I think I've made a wise decision...
Hi George (aka, GMDmusic)

I'm assuming you've copyrighted any lyrics you might post. Given that, I don't see any downside to getting more feedback ... whether it be from Taxi members or outsiders. As to lyrical ideas, those aren't copyrightable anyway/anyhow! So, I guess I just can't see ... where your beef is? It's your choice, of course.

Steve (aka, simonsays)

GMDmusic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by GMDmusic » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:14 pm

Steve,

Thanks for the response.

So when you share lyrics in this "format" they've already been copyrighted (as part of a song or as lyrics only)?

Has, or does, anyone (single, duo, team) ever use this forum to start and complete a set of lyrics?

ocean
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ocean » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:12 am

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I am naive, I know that... but I tend to think most people are professional about their respective crafts and would rather create their own stuff than steal from others.
Isn't posting your work here a great (although, I guess, not foolproof) way of establishing the point of origin?.. you got your date and time stamp on your posts.

And also you'll be able to inspire others as well. Give 'em ideas they otherwise wouldn't have that might lead to other great songs.
--- Ole
https://www.taxi.com/members/ocnilsen

Great work, people. Keep it up.

Nick2012
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Nick2012 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:48 pm

ocean wrote:Isn't posting your work here a great (although, I guess, not foolproof) way of establishing the point of origin?..
As long as it's not ML who decides to steal your work :lol:

Really though, for me, I've stopped posting lyrics here because lyrics, by design, should be presented in a musical context. Of course, this can mean extra work if you decide to make a suggested change. But I think the suggestions themselves would be entirely different if the lryics are already set to music.

Just my 2 cents.

Nick

simonsays
Impressive
Impressive

Post by simonsays » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:57 am

GMDmusic wrote:Steve,

Thanks for the response.

So when you share lyrics in this "format" they've already been copyrighted (as part of a song or as lyrics only)?

Has, or does, anyone (single, duo, team) ever use this forum to start and complete a set of lyrics?

Hi George,

With the exception of my practice Platinum Hit lyrics, my lyrics have all been sent off to the Copyright Office prior to posting.(I think that's just being prudent) I didn't send my 'practice' lyrics off because I used some lines from Jackie on Platinum Hit in the chorus ... and I (wouldn't/didn't) feel comfortable claiming the whole song as my own.

I second Ocean on the inspiration point he made. I've gotten ideas for several songs from other poster's input here!
I'm fairly new here myself, so I think someone else would be a better choice for answering your second question.

Steve
Last edited by simonsays on Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GMDmusic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by GMDmusic » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:03 am

Hey Ocean,
ocean wrote:As long as it's not ML who decides to steal your work :lol:
Who is ML?

FMstereo
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by FMstereo » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:25 am

Michael Laskow!! :lol:

Cheers

bucyboy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by bucyboy » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:36 am

Hi George. I know what you are saying about losing or giving away all your best ideas. I posed this same question when I first joined Taxi and I didn't get any responses. Like you mentioned, anyone can come on here looking for lines or ideas. I did not want to have to send in a copyright every time I wanted feedback on some lines, and then end up changing it around and re-copyright the work. I decided to stop posting lyrics here for a while until I started using a writing software called Masterwriter. I am in no way affiliated with them and do not recieve any compensation for promoting them, but I love Masterwriter. You can submit lyrics, partial or full and they are protected. You can update them as many times as neccesary. It's a termendous writing tool and saves me hours of time searching for the right word or words.

I feel much better about posting my lyrics on writer sites for review since registering them on Masterwriter, but there's still a chance that someone can take the same idea and do it better. Especially if they are already in with publishers or other people in the industry. Getting feedback is a great way to get you to look at your work from others perspectives. It was worth it for me to post some lyrics for feedback, especially ones I had concerns about. After time and your writing is more perfected, you may not need to post lyrics as often for review because you know they are dead on, or you simply do not want to chance losing a great unique line or idea.

That's my thoughts on it anyway.....

Write on,
Buc

Kelil
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Kelil » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:59 pm

they are copywrited the moment you post them here on Taxi forum anyway when you think about it.

The time, date and day you posted them are there for all to see.

But always good to have them copyrighted before posting.

:D